UEFA proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
If, and right now it has to be an if, this plan for a de-facto Euro Super League were to go ahead, how many Evertonians would see our non-inclusion as a complete failure of the Moshiri era to address the shortcomings of the previous regime ?

Nobody expected the arrival of Moshiri to change things overnight, but we're four years into his time as major shareholder/owner and we've spent a bucketload of money, far too often badly, and we've made poor managerial appointments up until Carlo Ancelotti arrived.
The chances of us moving to that level were so remote that I think it's harsh to blame it on them. We needed about two hundred thousand things to go correctly for us to get from where we were in the Spring of 2016 to the European elite by today's date. I don't think it's really fair to label them failures for not making that happen.

The failure imo has been failing to recognize how difficult the task of moving up and competing was/is and not taking a longer term view. The shortsightedness is a serious problem that may still not have been fully addressed.

The chances of us moving to that level were so remote that I think it's harsh to blame it on them. We needed about two hundred thousand things to go correctly for us to get from where we were in the Spring of 2016 to the European elite by today's date. I don't think it's really fair to label them failures for not making that happen.

The failure imo has been failing to recognize how difficult the task of moving up and competing was/is and not taking a longer term view. The shortsightedness is a serious problem that may still not have been fully addressed.

I agree.

If we had a 5 year plan things would be far, far better.

But instead we had a 6 month plan, every 6 months, in which we sold all our good players ,spent all our money on mostly rubbish and even managed to go backwards.

Of course people will blame Moshiri and hes gotta take his share of the blame, but hey ho.

I don’t buy that.

Leicester won the league in 2016 and will finish 3rd this season.

You can’t possibly think that Leicester were in a better position than us to do that.

Moshiri trusted the wrong people and has continued to do so.

I don’t buy that.

You can’t possibly think that Leicester were in a better position than us to do that.

You dont think Carlo Ancelotti should be trusted?

Between this daft proposal and the arrogance of the PL with their plans to open during a global pandemic at the expense of lower league clubs .....do we need anymore evidence that the people running football couldn't be more out of touch with reality.

I simply don't understand the proposal. What are they trying to accomplish? What was wrong with the system the way it was?
Don't fix it, if it ain't broken!

I don’t buy that.

Leicester got lucky in 2016 and spent all the years afterward building slowly to this moment right now. It's why they binned Puel when they did. They realized that it wouldn't gel with what they were trying to build and went another direction. That's the difference between them and Wolves and us. Those teams signed players for a system, got a manager for that system, crucially signed players with room to grow and gave them ample time to do so and are reaping the rewards.

So that's where we've failed and yes we have fallen behind those clubs because of it.

But neither of those clubs are in the European elite, so still my point that it was nearly impossible stands. Because Leicester literally won the league a couple months after Moshiri bought the club and they still couldn't do it.

Leicester got lucky in 2016 and spent all the years afterward building slowly to this moment right now. It's why they binned Puel when they did. They realized that it wouldn't gel with what they were trying to build and went another direction. That's the difference between them and Wolves and us. Those teams signed players for a system, got a manager for that system, crucially signed players with room to grow and gave them ample time to do so and are reaping the rewards.

So that's where we've failed and yes we have fallen behind those clubs because of it.

But neither of those clubs are in the European elite, so still my point that it was nearly impossible stands. Because Leicester literally won the league a couple months after Moshiri bought the club and they still couldn't do it.
No one gets lucky winning the league.

What you’re basically saying is they’re better managed at the top than we are.

Why the hell Moshiri was hell bent on getting in such an average manager like Marco Silva I will never know.

No one gets lucky winning the league.

What you’re basically saying is they’re better managed at the top than we are.

Why the hell Moshiri was hell bent on getting in such an average manager like Marco Silva I will never know.
I wouldn't have believed it to be possible either but Leicester really did it and to be honest this year the RS running away with the league is another example of how long a run of good fortune can last because they're good but not this good.

Depending on how many teams from the premier league get places this might actually give us a better shot at getting in europe.
If its that the premier league get 4 champions league places, 3 Europa league places and 3 Europa conference places, that would mean top 10 Gets you a crack at Europe, more or less, because technically one of the champions league teams could finish outside the top 10 and are still in the champions league. Bad news for the domestic cups, because essentially there would be no European place for winning them

In all honesty I would be surprised if this got through, it would have to be voted on by all 54 countries that compete in the European competions and this would slam the door on most of them, so why would they vote for it? What it could do is test the waters for a sort of "break away" competition that's been banded about before, where the top 5/6 associations form a competition separate from uefa, like the premier league did to the football league. I could see that happening but hopefully there would still be qualification through domestic success for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.