Two steps forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I don't agree but I understand your logic.

Surely though, if you want players who can pick a subtle pass, you use osman, pienaar, deulofeu in the hole? You don't take cleverley off.

You're talking as if Kone played as an out and out striker but he didn't, he spent most of his time being asked to play wide, which according to you is the last thing we needed. If your tactical idea is right, roberto made an even bigger mess of it than if mine was.
Agree with your point that Kone playing too wide but don't see that all these things are automatically at the manager's door.
There was a clear difference between the end of our game and end of Leicester Arsenal game. We'd actually created more chances than they did till final ten minutes but we didn't increase the urgency in those last stages. West Brom should have been getting nervous but it was us. Combination of a young side, a nervous side at Goodison and maybe a manager who is still learning about aspects of the game. First two points just seemed more relevant to me as I felt that tension so assume players did too.

Agree with your point that Kone playing too wide but don't see that all these things are automatically at the manager's door.
There was a clear difference between the end of our game and end of Leicester Arsenal game. We'd actually created more chances than they did till final ten minutes but we didn't increase the urgency in those last stages. West Brom should have been getting nervous but it was us. Combination of a young side, a nervous side at Goodison and maybe a manager who is still learning about aspects of the game. First two points just seemed more relevant to me as I felt that tension so assume players did too.
I'm not saying everything's at the manager's door, just that as the manager he has overall responsibility for our performances. I think the end of the game was a tactical mess, where we ended up playing straight into their hands, and that is very much at his door.

I agree that tension can affect the players but they have to get past that, they really do. I was watching the Arsenal game on sunday too and you could hear the crowd doing exactly what ours does - it's just human nature for nervous and frustrated fans to howl and groan when things go wrong - but Arsenal got the result and sent the fans home happy. Anybody who went to Norwich will know that their fans got on the team's back and showed their frustration, but they managed to come back into the game and save it. The young team excuse is something i've never really agreed with but particularly on saturday. No Galloway, no Stones, no Besic, Deulofeu as a sub. That team was not particularly young, and the young players we did have, like Barkley and Lukaku, are really pretty experienced despite their age.

I'm not saying everything's at the manager's door, just that as the manager he has overall responsibility for our performances. I think the end of the game was a tactical mess, where we ended up playing straight into their hands, and that is very much at his door.

I agree that tension can affect the players but they have to get past that, they really do. I was watching the Arsenal game on sunday too and you could hear the crowd doing exactly what ours does - it's just human nature for nervous and frustrated fans to howl and groan when things go wrong - but Arsenal got the result and sent the fans home happy. Anybody who went to Norwich will know that their fans got on the team's back and showed their frustration, but they managed to come back into the game and save it. The young team excuse is something i've never really agreed with but particularly on saturday. No Galloway, no Stones, no Besic, Deulofeu as a sub. That team was not particularly young, and the young players we did have, like Barkley and Lukaku, are really pretty experienced despite their age.
Hard to say why the lack of intensity but you could see the nerves sapping an already tired Leicester side at Arsenal and it didn't happen at Goodison. Fans can clearly help though. Pretty sure Arsenal fans were moaning but whatever happened it got them chances at a point ours dried up. Tactics were ultimately wrong but Wenger isn't a massive pragmatist either so you'd think open to same criticism. If Welbeck didn't nick it then pretty sure he'd have been criticised as too cautious.
Maybe not so much youth but there is something not quite there yet that turns good performances in tight games into wins. You can see that desire to win in Mori and Lennon and I hope it spreads through this team eventually. Just not convinced most managers can really control that unless it comes from years of success.
For the record I'd have thrown Mori up front and dropped Barry back. As well as keeping Lennon on. Maybe I'd be a fan favourite as manager, until they realised I hadn't got a clue the following week.

12 back. Ok not literally but the inconsistency of Everton is becoming awful. West brom now 3 points behind us west brom! When will we strong results together on a regular basis? And make goodison a hard place? Until this happens you can swerve ya fancy passing kak.

wrong way round mate.
we're not going 2 forward and 1 back, we're just going 2 back

I am one of the most pessimistic (yes pessimistic) when it comes to Everton and I want RM gone but it is not going to happen until the end of the season.

But the one thing that is really gripping my shoit at the moment is the fact that just like Fookin Brenda, he goes on about all of this youth and buys the foockers not to play them.

What is the point???????

Isn't 18, 19, 20 or 21 old enough to get your feet wet, or try and score that elusive equaliser? No it isn't, we try Kone and Osman......

Great thread, just wish it wasn't on toffeeweb.

Three 3-0 wins on the bounce - everything's ok in the world.
Pulis' zombies turn up and scab a goal - change the manager.

As BlueToff said: fickle.

Next week we win, then it's ok again.

Unreal behaviour.

Why not just accept that when you have a new young squad still developing then you'll have ups and downs? Or maybe some people prefer running round with their hair on fire? 'Kin drama queens are killing Everton.

I don't think Roberto helps himself with his relentless positivity after every game, no matter how we played. If an average or poor performance is described as "phenomenal" it just puts people's backs up.

Our next two games are the Cup match V Bournemouth and Aston Villa away. If we don't get positive results there we need shooting, and what's more, the season will be well and truly over.

I don't think Roberto helps himself with his relentless positivity after every game, no matter how we played. If an average or poor performance is described as "phenomenal" it just puts people's backs up.

Our next two games are the Cup match V Bournemouth and Aston Villa away. If we don't get positive results there we need shooting, and what's more, the season will be well and truly over.
It's been a while since I was confident over an impending Everton victory (WBA game aside). But surely, surely we'll beat Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.