Truly world class.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my time watching Everton, it's only Kanchelskis that I'd say for certain was among the very best in the world.

Baines is the only other contender. If I were him, I'd regret never testing myself at a team challenging for honours.

In my time as as a supporter I'd say only Southall, Lineker and Kanchelskis were truely world class.

It's been debated many times over the years whether Rooney was world class at his best at United but he certainly wasn't in either of his spells here.

Lineker was a great goalscorer but a puddin’ of a player, this might rule him out !!!

World Class = Get in any team in the world

Can't really think of anyone in my lifetime who fits that criteria, maybe Southall for a season or two at his peak.

I wouldn't have classed Rooney as world class whilst he was at Everton (even though he was far more exciting back then).

What about Linekar ? He went to Barca after 1 season.

Peak Baines is probably the closest we've come to having a modern day player who wouldn't have looked out of place in any team in the world.

I don’t define world class as getting into any team in the world tbh. Think world class is being in the top 5 or so in your position . I mean I would say hazard is a world class player but he wouldn’t get into the jive team ahead of Ronaldo would he, bake is world class on his day but wouldn’t get into the Barca side. Just my opinion like

Peter Beardsley would be close.

So under rated , didn’t really get England recognition he should have. Whoever his strike partner was ended up scoring heaps , I mean Andy cole has his best scoring season with Beardsley next to him and cole played in some amazing Man U teams winning leagues etc . Lineker got the golden boot in Mexico 86 etc

We sold him for 90 million pounds Michael. The price of a world-class talent.
Come on that's silly. We sold him for 90 because United over paid, just like we did Bolasie and Klassen. Besides plenty of world class players have been bought far cheaper, price tags dont reflect talent.
At his Everton peak Lukaku didn't look world class, but because we haven't had a world class player in the Premier League era some younger fans are a bit deluded, if you had got to see Lineker play....etc
See United fans are use to seeing world class players , that's why they can see him for what he really is, a big mistake.

Kendall and Harvey; either one could've slotted into the 1970 Brazil team no problem.

And working on the theory that a team starts with a spine; Keeper, Centre Half, Striker.
Southall, Ratcliffe and Lineker could've been transplanted into Any International team of the time and Improved it or been just as good as those they replaced.

There are certain players, (maybe not considered 'sexy' enough ) no matter how high up the food chain they go, when surrounded by 'better' players. They are players who, at their peak, always fit in, do their job, never look out of place.
Like John McGovern, Hartlepools to double European Cup winner.
Anyway, imo, Bobby Collins was one and Peter Reid another.

I love him but Cahill was in no way a world class footballer.
We will have to agree to disagree. In his prime I think he would of got in to most teams and always seemed to hold his own in major tournaments for Australia and score some absolute crackers.

We will have to agree to disagree. In his prime I think he would of got in to most teams and always seemed to hold his own in major tournaments for Australia and score some absolute crackers.

Scoring in world cups doesn’t make you world class mate.

Do you really think Tim Cahill would’ve got into Real Madrid or Barcelona’s team?

Status
Not open for further replies.