World class players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJB77EFC

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
I posted a thread on Alan ball yesterday and what came through was that he was a genuine ‘World class player’. I’m interested to know from fellow blues who else could be classed as World class. For myself it’s Neville Southall and Gary Lineker that I’ve seen myself.

Rooney was world class, in that between 2004 and 2010 he could have walked into any side in the world. He just didn’t have long enough with us.

Lukaku isn’t world class, but bizarrely there’s probably not a side in the world who wouldn’t take him if he was in top form.

There was a period around 2012 when Baines was easily amongst the 2 or 3 best left backs in the world. Not sure if that would count as world class or not but his peak was right in the gap between Cole declining and the likes of Alaba And Jordi Alba starting out.

Rooney was world class, in that between 2004 and 2010 he could have walked into any side in the world. He just didn’t have long enough with us.

Lukaku isn’t world class, but bizarrely there’s probably not a side in the world who wouldn’t take him if he was in top form.

There was a period around 2012 when Baines was easily amongst the 2 or 3 best left backs in the world. Not sure if that would count as world class or not but his peak was right in the gap between Cole declining and the likes of Alaba And Jordi Alba starting out.
Yes I agree on Rooney. The Euros he played whilst still an Everton player in 2004 was the best I’ve ever seen an English player play in a tournament barring maybe Gazza in Itslia 90

Really just needs merging with this thread.

Kanchelskis...Get the feeling people don't like mentioning certain players due to the short periods spent at the club. He was without doubt World class and improved us by about 5 to 6 league places that year. His performance against Sheff Wed away was the best single performance of an Everton player I've seen.
Yeh I get where you are coming from with the length of time players stayed at us. Gary Lineker for me is the best Everton striker I’ve seen albeit for one season.

Really just needs merging with this thread.
New to this mate. I only posted for the first time yesterday. I’ll get the hang of it.

Reactions: kev

New to this mate. I only posted for the first time yesterday. I’ll get the hang of it.
No problem padawan
Why not try this thread to introduce yourself to the grand old frandelinos of Grand Old Team ;) (Great thread on Bally by the way)

....we’ve had a similar thread before. I think it’s important to define ‘world class’. For me;

- A player who would play for any team on the planet at the time they played for us

- i also suggest they need to have played for more than one season (therefore, Rooney, Lineker and Kanchelskis not included in my reasoning
).

During my lifetime (I’m 63), I’ve seen 3 world class players at Everton;

Alan Ball
Ray Wilson
Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.