TRIP TO LIVERPOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members - I recognize this isn't entirely Everton related, but I was planning on gracing you with my presence at some point in the fall. I've been to Liverpool, but not to a live match at Goodison. Regardless, I was hoping to turn this into a greater trip. Would love to attend a bunch of matches at different venues both small and larger over a 3-4 day period around the Liverpool/Manchester/other area. Any suggestions? The current fixture dates all simple have every match on Saturday, obviously that will change with Caribou Cup and other competition scheduling, but any idea when those changes start to come out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

CRIM
maybe start a '5 things about Liverpool' thread chico lad

Don't go to Wigan. It's a weird place and the chippies shut at dinner time.

Wigan is actually I nice ground and they are particularly good at PR. I had a couple of visitors from Oz last year, football and rugby fans, and we were taking a photo outside the ground. Wigan don't do ground tours, but I asked at reception if my friends could have a look at the pitch. One of the receptionists proceeded to give us a two hour tour of the whole ground, changing rooms, board room, managers office, the lot, culminating in a walk up the tunnel onto the pitch. My friends were amazed at the generosity. Extra large changing rooms to accommodate rugby league teams, great trophy room with football trophies and lots of Rugby League trophies. Could also suggest Tranmere, if you want to see an typical grass roots stadium.

Wigan is actually I nice ground and they are particularly good at PR. I had a couple of visitors from Oz last year, football and rugby fans, and we were taking a photo outside the ground. Wigan don't do ground tours, but I asked at reception if my friends could have a look at the pitch. One of the receptionists proceeded to give us a two hour tour of the whole ground, changing rooms, board room, managers office, the lot, culminating in a walk up the tunnel onto the pitch. My friends were amazed at the generosity. Extra large changing rooms to accommodate rugby league teams, great trophy room with football trophies and lots of Rugby League trophies. Could also suggest Tranmere, if you want to see an typical grass roots stadium.

I'm a Wire fan so I am unable to say anything positive about the place.

Make sure you get some meat and tattie pies from up north, Wigan are famed for a good pie.

Make sure you get some meat and tattie pies from up north, Wigan are famed for a good pie.

Their pie industry is merely a cover. They were the first miners back at work during the General Strike in 1923 (?) and were, therefore, forced to eat humble pie by the bosses. Thus, they were nicknamed pie-eaters.

That's the point, I could come ANY date. Was thinking end of September, but am totally flexible. Probably leaving the wife and kids at home, maybe show up with a buddy or two, etc. But you start waiting a bit and airline tickets go up, etc.
Check the International breaks 7th Sept & 12 Oct. plus various CL & Europa cup dates.
Work on the fact that hardly any games will go at the traditional 3.00pm Sat
...and if there is a dirty end of the stick for fixtures Everton will get it and the rs will come up smelling of violets

They have the best pies I have ever tasted from a little baker by the bus ternimus.

Yes good to do a mixture of levels, non league footy is a great day out. Loads to chose from in the North West too. Avoid CoL FC and AFC Liverpoo as they're fake new clubs trying to be trendy, but the rest are sound. Prescot Cables, Southport, Marine or Bootle depending on who's at home.

I heartily agree with all of this. Cables have a proper old-fashioned non-league ground if you want to see a completely different aspect of English football.

And you can get the 10A bus from Liverpool city centre right to the ground.

Have you been to the South in the US? Don't forget, we have guns. Lots of them. Ever seen deliverance?

In the 1980s I spent some time based in Atlanta, and delivered cars(stick shift Avengers!) with a guy who was a member of the Klan....very interesting and I saw New Orleans, Greensborough, and lots of other places. I stayed with an aunt at a town called Roswell...which in those days was a housing development and a shopping mall off the main highway!! NOT the Area 51 Roswell...another one !

Status
Not open for further replies.