transfer prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting good quality is important. But so is getting good value.

With Richarlison I think it’s a big risk because of his last 6 months of the season (the majority of it!). However, I think it would be a risk worth taking if we were getting him for £20-25m. For the prices quoted, we should be signing proven, top quality players. Not 21 year olds who might get better or might get worse.
The only way to get EFC to take your advice is to send letters to the owners by recorded delivery and get a signed receipt. Otherwise they are condemned to live in ignorance.

I guess the thinking is fans of clubs like Leeds and Villa and many others probably look back and wish that somebody at some point was a bit more frugal and controlled with the spending.

We can't change anything when moaning about a player costing too much but it's completely understandable that people do fixate on it IMO

Bolasie or instance. Christ almighty. The perfect example of no thought and no control (goes for the person who said yes to the deal and the player actually!)

I think it's much more understandable that a fan worries about spending than the fans who say it's not your money so it doesn't matter.

I'd like the club to stick around if possible and not ever go bust.....I kinda like Everton ya see?

I think another reason fans are obsessed with transfer fees, is that when their club is paying big fees for players, it lessens their ammunition call out other teams and fan bases when their teams pay a big fee for players. It's tougher to have a go at another teams spending when they can just turn round and say 'well you spent 50 million on such and such a player' or whatever.

Just have to look at the Richarlison thread here and fans are obsessing over how much the add ons are and insisting on quoting the fee without them even though we all know that all transfers have add ons - in and out of clubs. And I'm sure when our team sells a player - we'd insist on quoting the fee the club got WITH the add-ons.

It's just how fans are, of every club.

It seems like every time that we're linked with a player, or buy a player, everyone's obsessed with how much he's going to cost us.

It's all a bit strange. The only discussion that matters is where the signing will fit into the team, what strengths and weaknesses will he bring, will he improve us.

If we're splashing out money on someone with potential to be a big star for us, can't we allow ourselves more excitement and less worrying about the price tag ? Here's five reasons not to worry :

1. Chill - it's not your money that's being spent !

2. We don't know how accurate some of these news stories are when it comes to the details, and in any case, transfers are far more complex than the headline price suggests. Agents fees and wages are a big part of any transfer. Most fees are repayable over a period of years, they're not paid in full there and then. And that's without all the add-ons that we so often see when young players are being bought.

3. This isn't 2003 ! The club's accounts are as healthy as they've been for a long time. We get shedloads of money through TV rights alone. And we have Moshiri to step in when needed.

4. The PL is full of clubs with money who are looking for the same things : players with pace and ability who've shown they can deliver at the top level. That's why prices are going through the roof, especially for attacking players. We're doing pretty well developing young talent, but do we have another John Stones ? There's no guarantees. From all our crop of English U-21 and U-20 players, not one of them was close to making Southgate's WC squad. So we can't just rely on the kids, we have to be prepared to spend serious money if Everton are going to progress under Silva.

5. Some fans moaned when we bought Lukaku - they said we were paying over the odds ! Look at the goals he gave us and the profit that we made on him. If a player's good enough, and has got the right attitude, then the money is just a detail (and there's a fair chance that he'll repay the investment one way or another).
Its all about opinions...and mine is you're living in a blinkered dream world
Edit; 'Its not my money being spent' - tell that to Leeds Portsmouth Sunderland and QPR.

Prices are mad. Any and every transfer has some crazy price all things considered.

Wonder how much they would have sold Richarlison to us for if the whole thing with Silva had never have happened though? Maybe 25-30m?

Getting good quality is important. But so is getting good value.

With Richarlison I think it’s a big risk because of his last 6 months of the season (the majority of it!). However, I think it would be a risk worth taking if we were getting him for £20-25m. For the prices quoted, we should be signing proven, top quality players. Not 21 year olds who might get better or might get worse.
not having a go at you, but this is the type of post I don't get for 3 reasons.

you say he not worth 35m, but would be happy with 20-25m.There is a 5 million difference between your figures, so you are happy for us to just throw away 5 million? why not throw away another 5 million and pay 30? you cant claim to be frugal yhen dismiss 5 million quid.

For the 20-25, how much woild you pay upfront, what installments would the remainder be, what add-ons would be included, are agent fees included or is that additional. Transfers arent as simple as the headline figure, so when you say 20-25 what would be the total spend?

what is the difference between a 25m player and a 35m player? what skills and attributes make him worth 25 instead of say 15m, and what is he missing to make him a 35m player?

The high wages we pay are as big, if not a bigger risk than the initial transfer fee.

Higher the wages = yes, we may attract a player who is thinking of his wallet perhaps before his ambition, but if he doesn't adapt to the league / has a poor season / we change manager and the new manager is not a fan of said player, we could be stuck with him for 3-4 years paying him 60-80K a week, i.e. the Rodwell situation at Sunderland. Or, if you like, our current Sandro/Bolasie/Klaassen situation. If you were being paid an obscene amount of money at a job, even if you felt you didn't deserve it, why would you quit?
Lower the wages = we may therefore not be seen as quite an attractive proposition to prospective players, but on the flip-side it could be easier to get rid of perceived "deadwood" as these players could still earn more in another league, perhaps USA or China. Also, you could argue that players playing for clubs who don't pay as high a wedge are motivated by the right reasons (Tottenham Hotspur arguably the best example).

In all honesty I'm not too bothered about the transfer fees, as overall it will balance itself out - even our over-spending last season was compensated for by the sale of Lukaku. It's just a pity that the money we got from Rom's sale was invested so unwisely. That said - Pickford's value would now be double what we got for him last year, and even Sandro we'd make a profit. Sigurdsson, Klaassen and Bolasie though would almost assuredly be a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.