transfer prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems some fans are ok with it as a business model

Too right. Moshiri being a successful accountant will have no idea what to do with the finances, and must be too dim to form his own opinions around spending and overspending.

I hope he comes on the forum often to take the advice of fans, and listen to their concerns, most of which are formed with no knowledge of the internal checks and balances that may exist around the transfer spend.

Sunderland.

That's why. Let's not, eh?

If you're telling me I should be more concerned about the club overreaching itself financially, I say that's nonsense. Yes there's a need to get the wages bill under control, but generally the club's on a sound financial footing, with record turnover, plenty of marketable young players, and billionaire backing. Our priority should be to improve the squad, become more competitive, and make sure that we don't flirt with relegation again as we did under Koeman/Walsh.

If you're telling me I should be more concerned about the club overreaching itself financially, I say that's nonsense. Yes there's a need to get the wages bill under control, but generally the club's on a sound financial footing, with record turnover, plenty of marketable young players, and billionaire backing. Our priority should be to improve the squad, become more competitive, and make sure that we don't flirt with relegation again as we did under Koeman/Walsh.

????

It isn’t the actual spending as such, it’s the business acumen of the people making the decisions to spend the clubs money.

We missed the boat at the inception of the Premier League, the 1990s and early 00s were very sombering times for us, frightening even, as we slipped further and further back whilst others feasted at the top table. That didn’t happen by chance or pure accident, whilst there were accentuating circumstances, the club was poorly managed and led. It was people who created the mess we found ourselves in, people with job titles like Chairman, CEO, and Director.

Moshiri clearly does not have infinitely deep pockets and on that basis alone, surely we have to be careful with spending. Not just careful, but smarter and more creative than most. I’m not an expert, but my gut feeling on Richarlison is that it’s poor value for money, and that there are or must be, players of the same or better quality available for less. It’s the clubs responsibility to find them and sign them.

And there is Bramley Moore. Who knows what’s happening with it but I would gladly endure a few years of austerity if it helps to ensure funding and makes the clubs future sustainable.

Something doesn’t add up at present - we were worrying about having a budget of any sort on Thursday, to potentially spending £50m on Richarlison by Friday. A big part of the issue is the continuing lack of clear and regular communication. The club repeatedly fails in this respect, and it’s no wonder that fans with genuine concern fill the gaps with a narrative that may be negative and lacking in detail, but that’s the clubs fault.

To be fair to the moaners, the club’s in great financial shape until it’s not; until Moshiri decides to close his pocketbook. For all the whining a United fans do about the Glazer family, their club is a machine and will continue to be for some time, regardless of the owner. Sunderland fans must be wishing Ellis hadn’t cut them short.

Quite right for people to air how they feel about the money being spent. Remember we are not signing players that are ready made stars. We are taking risks and therefore it is a talking point wherever you stand on how we are going about this.

The forum would also be pretty boring if we all agreed to not care.

It seems like every time that we're linked with a player, or buy a player, everyone's obsessed with how much he's going to cost us.

It's all a bit strange. The only discussion that matters is where the signing will fit into the team, what strengths and weaknesses will he bring, will he improve us.

If we're splashing out money on someone with potential to be a big star for us, can't we allow ourselves more excitement and less worrying about the price tag ? Here's five reasons not to worry :

1. Chill - it's not your money that's being spent !

2. We don't know how accurate some of these news stories are when it comes to the details, and in any case, transfers are far more complex than the headline price suggests. Agents fees and wages are a big part of any transfer. Most fees are repayable over a period of years, they're not paid in full there and then. And that's without all the add-ons that we so often see when young players are being bought.

3. This isn't 2003 ! The club's accounts are as healthy as they've been for a long time. We get shedloads of money through TV rights alone. And we have Moshiri to step in when needed.

4. The PL is full of clubs with money who are looking for the same things : players with pace and ability who've shown they can deliver at the top level. That's why prices are going through the roof, especially for attacking players. We're doing pretty well developing young talent, but do we have another John Stones ? There's no guarantees. From all our crop of English U-21 and U-20 players, not one of them was close to making Southgate's WC squad. So we can't just rely on the kids, we have to be prepared to spend serious money if Everton are going to progress under Silva.

5. Some fans moaned when we bought Lukaku - they said we were paying over the odds ! Look at the goals he gave us and the profit that we made on him. If a player's good enough, and has got the right attitude, then the money is just a detail (and there's a fair chance that he'll repay the investment one way or another).
With siggurdson we over paid but you could sort of see why we went for him and the quality he had, and he had been doing it for a few seasons.

Richarlison is a huge gamble.

If you start making losses (which we probably will do when last seasons accounts are released ) your heading for trouble.

It is a shame the club does not have the advantage of the expertise on this site when choosing new players and knowing how much to spend. Such talent and knowledge going to waste here. Perhaps they could form a regular forum so the owner and the manager can have the benefit of good advice from those who know far better?

Don't know if you noticed but the club demonstrated their aptitude for responsible spending and player acquisition rather well last season. The situation has improved somewhat since then but far more sense was being talked on these pages last season than was displayed by the club.

Hears something : as well 'add ons' to a transfer fee, how about 'take offs', whereby any player who is proven to be a bowl of manure obligates the selling club to reimburse us some monies.

No business can be ran sustainably by continuing to overspend money and receive insufficient value in return.

Last year should be all the reason people need to be wary of bad transfer business. We cannot waste another 100 million like we did last summer on Klaassen, Keane, and Sigurdsson and the 40 odd million we spent on Williams and Bolasie. It simply isn't feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.