Top Ten Toffee Stinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your counter argument. I have taken its measure and it is without merit.
The ball bouncing in off Niasse's aris once or twice doesn't clean any carpets - we're carrying a 55K per week salary on a five year contract for someone who would be 50/50 to start for Fleetwood Town. That is stinking the gaff out to unprecedented, calamitous levels - doubt we've ever had a player like that, someone who just can't be shifted because they're playing and paid levels above their ability.
My esteemed friend, i would wager you have taken more than a measure and this is the reason you can not see it's merit.
Eight times the ball has bounced off Mr Niasse's anatomy and into the net, without flipping through the season review, i estimate he helped us achieve around 7 to 10 points in that time, those my friend are some pretty clean carpets. I agree that 55k could be better spent but to doubt that the club has ever had a player that can't be shifted because they are paid and playing way above they're ability is a laughable statement when this pretty statement pretty much sums up the recent history of Everton football club.

Gerrard
Barrett Tiler Kroldrup Pistone
Van Der Meyde Thomsen Nyarko Farrelly
Angell Straq

Subs
Mitch Ward
Alcaraz
Sandro

I've stuck up for Niasse plenty of times but you're being very kind to him here. He's a striker who has been paid a very decent wage to play for us in five different seasons. He will almost undoubtedly leave having only scored a goal in one of those five seasons. That is absolutely mindblowing.
He has scored 8 goals in 31 games. that is just slightly better than 1 in 4 which probably is even better when compared to minutes as i beleive most of his appearances are from the bench.
I am not advocating that Oumar is either a good or even a competent footballer, i am just saying that at least Oumar has given us positive experiences and memories at times and in doing so, has omitted himself as a candidate from this list.

He has scored 8 goals in 31 games. that is just slightly better than 1 in 4 which probably is even better when compared to minutes as i beleive most of his appearances are from the bench.
I am not advocating that Oumar is either a good or even a competent footballer, i am just saying that at least Oumar has given us positive experiences and memories at times and in doing so, has omitted himself as a candidate from this list.
And some of those goals were important at the time. That's great. But you can't ignore the fact that him playing less than 31 games for us in 4 1/2 years is pretty terrible in itself. And he has contributed to some terrible, terrible memories too. Twice that I can think of he's been introduced when we were 2-0 up, at home, with less than 20 minutes to go and we've lost one of them and drawn the other, in no small part due to his inability to play football. He's really bad. A bit of me will always love him for that comeback after Koeman had humiliated him, but it doesn't stop me from recognising that in terms of transfer, wages, and overall performance, he is right near the top of the disaster list.

And some of those goals were important at the time. That's great. But you can't ignore the fact that him playing less than 31 games for us in 4 1/2 years is pretty terrible in itself. And he has contributed to some terrible, terrible memories too. Twice that I can think of he's been introduced when we were 2-0 up, at home, with less than 20 minutes to go and we've lost one of them and drawn the other, in no small part due to his inability to play football. He's really bad. A bit of me will always love him for that comeback after Koeman had humiliated him, but it doesn't stop me from recognising that in terms of transfer, wages, and overall performance, he is right near the top of the disaster list.
I feel that it is not i who is ignoring the pertinent facts here. I have tried to be clear that at no stage have i claimed that Internationally capped, Russian cup winning Oumar Niasse is a good footballer. I am just saying that their has been at least 10 far more likely candidates for this list. I won't accept though that a striker is responsible for us twice losing 2 goal leads in 20 minute periods regardless of his inability to play football. In terms of transfer and wages you may be right as i think little of both these things once a player is in our squad. In terms of overall performance, not at all. Players have come here and offered nothing, zero, not one positive memory and this my friend has been the basis and main point of my defence of Oumar Niasse in this thread.

Anyone who thinks Niasse is worse than Cuco Martina needs to take a ling hard look at themselves.

Anyway, back to the scheduled programming....Anthony Gardener & Andy van der Meyde

After a post in another thread groaning about players who stunk out the joint, here's my list of garbage I've endured in my experience. It's tricky - what criteria to use? Return on money paid out? Shear uselessness? Laziness? I'm going with ones that make me wince.

Nyarko - lack of backbone.

Koldrupp - could he head a ball? He seemed ok before and after us. What went wrong here? At least he didn't linger long.

Klaasen - not for this league or the team we had. Spent a lot of money on a player ill suited to us.

Sandro - I still understand why we went for him at that price, but we're lumbered with him on stupid wages. Fell off a cliff after signing for us.

Senderos - played and looked like an escapee from the mental asylum. Awful.

Angell - I recall him losing his contact lenses in a game rendering him as blind as a bat. No drop off in performance was noted.

Schneiderlin - a few decent games then a run of games that make the blood boil.

Niasse - He ain't good enough. I at least understand his position of running his contract down and making the most out of his payday. My ire is mostly at the poor recruitment we've made over the last five years or so that he represents.

Ginola - a final wringing of the career before ending that career at the top level. Along with Gazza or Mark Hughes signifies a period when we were bereft of ideas and options and a nadir in this club's history.

Bolassie - no great shakes before injury, and now sent out on loan under 3 (?) managers. Another player we were rinsed for on fee and wages. Another hindrance to being able to improve the team.
Senderos was only on loan so don't think he can make the top 10. I'd put Ashley Williams above him on the stinker list for a start.

Mike Milligan
Paul Holmes
Vinny Samways
Marc Hottiger
Claus Thomsen
Tony thomas
Slaven bilic
John Okane
Stefan Rehn
Mike Milligan is a hell of a shout.

But for what I thought we were getting and the wages we paid him, it's Ashley Williams for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.