Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will end up 7th or 8th. West Ham have a lovely run in and the RS will finish ahead of us now. I think it is between us and Spurs for 7th

I think we will end up 7th or 8th. West Ham have a lovely run in and the RS will finish ahead of us now. I think it is between us and Spurs for 7th
So I guess than 7th means no european football as it seems if a British teams finishing in the top 4 and winning an European competition, it means no European conference football for British teams...

Looking at the run-ins of everybody we’re in competition with, it seems to me that no matter what, we really need to win the next three (Villa, Sheffield United, Wolves). If we did that, I think we’d at least pip Spurs for 7th.

Getting higher than that would likely require us to also beat City on the last day. And even then, we’d probably need either West Ham or the RS to drop a game unexpectedly because of our disadvantage with goal difference.

Say what you will about the Conference League, but if it’s between 7th and that competition or 8th and no Europe at all, I’d take it.

Looking at the run-ins of everybody we’re in competition with, it seems to me that no matter what, we really need to win the next three (Villa, Sheffield United, Wolves). If we did that, I think we’d at least pip Spurs for 7th.

Getting higher than that would likely require us to also beat City on the last day. And even then, we’d probably need either West Ham or the RS to drop a game unexpectedly because of our disadvantage with goal difference.

Say what you will about the Conference League, but if it’s between 7th and that competition or 8th and no Europe at all, I’d take it.

Would take 7th everyday of the week mate.

I fancy WHU to get atleast 6th as they face Brighton who wont have Maupay or Dunk and they have Saints without Ings who carries that team.

If we can beat Villa I'll start to believe although it sets us up nicely for Brewster's 1st league goal giving Sheffield Utd a hard fought 1-0 win at Goodison to end our hopes of Europe lol

I am not sure we would have a British team in the conference cup as very likely top 4 British team will win European title.

But the Conference League spot goes to the winner of the Carabao Cup or the next highest spot in the table that hasn’t qualified for Europe some other way. Don’t think that spot is dependent on the Champions League or Europa results. You can have 7 English teams in total.

But the Conference League spot goes to the winner of the Carabao Cup or the next highest spot in the table that hasn’t qualified for Europe some other way. Don’t think that spot is dependent on the Champions League or Europa results. You can have 7 English teams in total.
Also FA cup get into Europe? But winner will be a team ahead of us (Chelsea or Leicester) so surely 7th should be European Qualification

The way I understand it is like so:

1-4 - Champions League
5 - Europa
FA Cup - Europa
Carabao Cup - Europa Conference

Because FA Cup winner will already be in Europe another way, the FA Cup Europa League spot will drop to 6th in the table.

Also, because the Carabao Cup winner will already be in Europe another way, the Carabao Cup Europa Conference League spot will drop to 7th in the table.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it goes. What was mentioned before about an English team winning Champions League only comes into play if that winning team doesn’t also finish top 4. In that case, there could be 5 Champions League teams (top 4 + the non-top-4 CL winners), but never more than 5 in the CL and 7 in European competitions in total.

No. If United were outside the top four and won the EL, they would qualify for the CL and the fourth placed PL team would miss out on CL and enter the EL.
No mate. If Utd were out of top four and won the EL, the 4th placed team would still qualify for CL. Max of five teams from one nation in CL. Utd confirmed their CL place today so only four from England in CL

Status
Not open for further replies.