Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 2 months months the league table has actually been very generous. Always games in hand or teams not getting away. The problem with all this is that when you lose every week it all starts falling in on itself.

Now the games are running out and we are still losing. One big final effort to get the last European spot in 7th would end up being a massive plus. Need another summer like last summer for bringing in quality.

People still talking of finishing in the top 5. Wow.

Winning out puts us on 67, and supposedly we get Doucoure back. It's possible. I would stop well short of saying it's likely.

West Ham would then have to win out (which might not even do should we give them an unlikely battering), and Liverpool would have to avoid a loss or two draws. It's even possible to pass Leicester if they go full bottle job against the closing fixture run.

I've seen stranger things in other sports over the years.

This has been a very weird but our hopes finally do hang on one game. But so do dithering Daves and he is an equally big bottler. This could be a game that is decided by who is least pessimistic so I would say we still have a chance. However this won't help us in the 4 games that follow but until Chelsea/Leicester crawl over the line there is a chance.
If the roles were reversed, and we were in West Ham’s position with Moyes as manager, this would definitely be one of his “mainly don’t lose,” games.

But I actually think we have the best chance if Moyes goes for the win and we treat this as one of the ‘big’ aways and keep it tight.

Top 4 gone, lose today and season completely over

I don't see that myself. I look at Spurs and think we will finish above them. You can take nothing for granted but we should win against Sheffield United. You then have an away at Villa and home to Wolves v fans. You'd have to fancy us to win both of those, or get at least 4 points. If we can put 7 points on the board, Spurs would need 5 from their final 3. I am not sure they get that.

I don't see that myself. I look at Spurs and think we will finish above them. You can take nothing for granted but we should win against Sheffield United. You then have an away at Villa and home to Wolves v fans. You'd have to fancy us to win both of those, or get at least 4 points. If we can put 7 points on the board, Spurs would need 5 from their final 3. I am not sure they get that.
Why would you have to fancy us to beat Villa? They beat us a week ago and were comfortably the better side.

Bit of a no lose game today.
If we win great , if WHAM win then it creates an effective bulwark against the RS getting top 4.

That’s a bonus....Ollie Watkins will be suspended Thursday when we play Villa. Probably all academic after today anyway o_O

Probably been asked before.....but..

Given City or Chelsea will win the CL and if United win the EL, will the 5th an 6th placed teams go in the CL?

Probably been asked before.....but..

Given City or Chelsea will win the CL and if United win the EL, will the 5th an 6th placed teams go in the CL?

Absolute maximum of five English teams in the CL. Under no possible circumstances would six places become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.