Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he suits being played as a number 10 as he has been in the last two home games (although he still acquits himself well) - think he instantly became more effective when we changed our shape yesterday and he went back into centre mid

Cracking player though. His energy has transformed our season

I think it's difficult mate. Koeman obviously wanted to give all the senior lads an opportunity before then introducing younger players. He'd have ideally waited longer and introduced them to a winning team. It's a fairly sensible strategy.

I'm not sure we could have got the win against Arsenal without such an experienced team. With rugby they often say the first few yards accross the game line are the hardest. That was our accross the game line moment.

From that moment on, blip in the Derby aside, the momentum has been going forward, accelerated by the form of the younger players.

You do have to protect young players. The senior lads had taken the flack when it was difficult and that's fair enough for me.
I get that mate. I understand that RK had to give the established players an opportunity to show what they could do. I just feel he gave them too long at a time when the results and, more importantly, the performances were poor at best.

Both Davies and Holgate had shown earlier in the season that they are comfortable at this level. Davies, in particular, seemed to energise us in his cameos. When he came on against Chelsea, he also gave us a period of control in the game that surprised me. I know Chelsea had taken their foot off the pedal at that stage, but even so his passing, movement and composure on the ball completely surpassed everything else we had on the pitch at the time. But he was them dropped from the squad altogether for about 5/6 matches.

You may be right about the Arsenal game but I don't know how you can say that with any certainty. He was included in the squads for Leicester and Hull, came off the bench and as instrumental, so much so that he fully deserved his start against Southampton. The rest, as they say, is history, albeit very recent:).

I just feel as though RK could have had the balls to make the decision to bring him in earlier, especially as things on the pitch were going o badly. His movement and quick passing, aligned with his energy and composure, does give us another dimension in my view.

I do agree that he needs looking after, and I am surprised that RK hadn't rested him for at least one of the last 2 home games.

Top midfielder. Imagine if RK had been imaginative enough to play him all season?
I am happy with the way that Koeman had a look at the senior players first and got rid of what he didn't want before giving Davies a go. He would have been training with the first team and learning a lot in the months before he got his chance, he will have developed a lot without the glare of the spotlight on the pitch in the league. Think it benefits us long term as if Davies had come in and struggled he would have almost had to write off this season.

Don't forget we also had Holgate in the side early on so he may not have wanted two raw kids at the start of the season in a new club.

I think RK has handled him well. A year ago he was an exciting prospect , looked very good for the U21s and England , but you wouldn't have automatically said " Yeah , he's going to be the first of "The Golden Generation " to become a regular PL starter next season". And in those first few appeRances this season while he did nothing wrong , he played it very simple with his passes etc and many were saying they couldn't see what the fuss was all about .Hes grown tremendously as a PL player. He is where he is now for all kinds of reasons , including RK, and while I may have an odd wistfully "if only " re our early season form I'm just enjoying what he brings to the team now.

He and Ghana have lifter Ross game as we look like we have a midfield in the making - would like to see Liam Wash on the bench for future games as he is another great midfield prospect!
Tom Davies is an inspiration to all the under 23 team who will hopefully win the league!

He and Ghana have lifter Ross game as we look like we have a midfield in the making - would like to see Liam Wash on the bench for future games as he is another great midfield prospect!
Tom Davies is an inspiration to all the under 23 team who will hopefully win the league!

Davies, Schneiderlin and Gueye is as good as any central midfield in the league for my money. The fact that Barry, Besic and James McCarthy are all now squad players (when fit like) shows how bloody good we are there. We have guile, we have energy and we have a bit of snide as well. Lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.