2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we have a history of holding on to youngsters for to long, and wasting millions. That’s need to change and hopefully it will under Brands. He’s had his chance and played nearly a 100 games. That’s not play 2 sit out 15.

Get money in for him and bring another youngster from the Academy to take his squad place, that’s how the academy should work.
Look at DCL he's had a long consistent run in the team mainly due to Everton's transfer errors but it's slowly paying off that he's played all these games for us because he's steadily improving and notched up 13 or 15 goals this season, Davies "could" replicate that but he's 100% not going to do it at Everton right now, There is no harm in loaning him out for a year and see where he ends up instead of tossing him aside at 21 years old.

He's a poor man's Nicky Butt, and that's being generous. Should be playing at a lower level. Loan him out and see if there's any improvement

Not making excuses for him but playing under 4 different managers in a short space of time probably hasnt helped his progression.

Recon we give him another 6 months under Carlo, if theres still no improvement its time to get shut
I'd give him another 6 months and trust Carlos judgements. As you say he needs to improve. I think a lot is down to his lack of physicality.

Any of that responsible for him being slow and weak?
Conflicting messages about what to do can inhibit his natural instinct. He'll learn and he has a far superior tutor now and age on his side. I would agree that a loan to a prem team with a guarantee of minutes would probably also do him a world of good. Consistency is what he needs and as Duncan showed with DCL, support and nurture.

Look at DCL he's had a long consistent run in the team mainly due to Everton's transfer errors but it's slowly paying off that he's played all these games for us because he's steadily improving and notched up 13 or 15 goals this season, Davies "could" replicate that but he's 100% not going to do it at Everton right now, There is no harm in loaning him out for a year and see where he ends up instead of tossing him aside at 21 years old.
DCL has played similar number of games to Davies
Difference is he has took his chance, a bit a similar to holgate. Davies hasn’t

Conflicting messages about what to do can inhibit his natural instinct. He'll learn and he has a far superior tutor now and age on his side. I would agree that a loan to a prem team with a guarantee of minutes would probably also do him a world of good. Consistency is what he needs and as Duncan showed with DCL, support and nurture.
Like I’ve said I would sell if we got a decent offer, unfortunately we need to make sacrifices somewhere.

One problem for me watching Davies, is he doesn’t have one very good trait to his game that he can build on.

He’s not a defensive midfielder, able to protect the back 4, he’s not a playmaker who can hit long passes from deep. He’s not a bully that can dominate the middle of the pitch and win the ball constantly. He can’t dribble and go past players.
And he doesn’t score goals or get assists.

He’s just a bang average player, who will find his level between the top of the championship and bottom of the prem.

I understand how some fans what some home grown players to break through. And I do too, but we can’t hold on forever and that’s a mistake the club have constantly made. How many youngsters over the years have we waited and waited for them to finally break through. Osman at 22/23. Is probably the only one. And He did have a bad injury, at 17. Also at that time we had no money, I dont think Osman would break through at Everton now.

Like I’ve said I would sell if we got a decent offer, unfortunately we need to make sacrifices somewhere.

One problem for me watching Davies, is he doesn’t have one very good trait to his game that he can build on.

He’s not a defensive midfielder, able to protect the back 4, he’s not a playmaker who can hit long passes from deep. He’s not a bully that can dominate the middle of the pitch and win the ball constantly. He can’t dribble and go past players.
And he doesn’t score goals or get assists.

He’s just a bang average player, who will find his level between the top of the championship and bottom of the prem.

I understand how some fans what some home grown players to break through. And I do too, but we can’t hold on forever and that’s a mistake the club have constantly made. How many youngsters over the years have we waited and waited for them to finally break through. Osman at 22/23. Is probably the only one. And He did have a bad injury, at 17. Also at that time we had no money, I dont think Osman would break through at Everton now.
Can't argue with much of that and only time will tell. I will say that if Ancelotti keeps using him then he obviously sees something and we should support him.

This could be the turning point we were hoping he would have... Consecutive games of starting, getting in a groove, gaining confidence.. Loads of value here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.