Homepage Article Tom Davies and the Social Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad is decent at defensive midfielder at a very young age, could save Everton 10s of millions...

Who in their right mind discards a player who is in and around Ancelloti 1st team, it is quantum physics for some.

Two good games, though culpable for two goals, he's being seen as the Rodney Mullen of football. Give over.
The very nature of his position in these games exposes him to these situations, Allan is guilty of it too this season.

The lad is decent at defensive midfielder at a very young age, could save Everton 10s of millions...

Who in their right mind discards a player who is in and around Ancelloti 1st team, it is quantum physics for some.

The very nature of his position in these games exposes him to these situations, Allan is guilty of it too this season.
Yeah but Allan get s a free pass because he has a fancy foreign name. Oh hang on..

Tony Davies with his debut article for the site!

Have a read;

Great article which gives us all plenty to think about.

Disagree with the whole premise of that article to be honest, but it's well written so I won't bother bringing down the thread with an argument.

All I'll say is it's not a crime to aspire and expect a certain standard as a fan.
Can't disagree with that but does that allow a fan to abuse a player ?

Surely there is a line to be drawn between justifiable comment ... such as ...." Bloggs had a poor game and I don't think that he is good enough " and abuse such as " Bloggs is a fraud stealing a wage , get out you .... ( add the expletive )"

Can't disagree with that but does that allow a fan to abuse a player ?

Surely there is a line to be drawn between justifiable comment ... such as ...." Bloggs had a poor game and I don't think that he is good enough " and abuse such as " Bloggs is a fraud stealing a wage , get out you .... ( add the expletive )"

Only difference between those two statements is emotion. Not everyone is eloquent with words - I could write a 2,000 word essay on why I think Sigurdsson has been garbage at Everton, someone else could write five; the sentiment would be the exact same.

"Abuse" is where you're targeting someone based on race, appearance, gender etc. or threatening violence.

Only difference between those two statements is emotion. Not everyone is eloquent with words - I could write a 2,000 word essay on why I think Sigurdsson has been garbage at Everton, someone else could write five; the sentiment would be the exact same.

"Abuse" is where you're targeting someone based on race, appearance, gender etc. or threatening violence.
You are right , to an extent. Abuse , of course in part is a failure to control your emotional response.
However abuse can also be written with the intention to cause hurt or distress.

Great read.

I think Tom is refreshing tbh, as are a lot of the younger generation of players who are not afraid to be 'different', or express themselves. Marcus Rashford is an extreme end of that phenomenon. I'm personally bored of whitewash media trained football and I don't know why people get so abusive based on what someone is like outside of football, it's not like anyone's out there killing cats. They are just professionals at the end of the day.

A year ago I thought Tom Davies had gone Bad Davies and was running out of options as a footballer. A year later, and some very astute management - simplifying his game in the 6 - has suddenly turned him into a tasty looking player, bringing out his best qualities. He is only 22.

Through a long lense, this is completely natural, and actually happens in football all the time. Yet some people can get very vitriolic when a player is out of form. I've done so in the past myself. I guess that's the curse of being the fan.
But there is still no excuse for abuse, or being threatening and or aggressive. I don't know if people are especially angry at the moment in society or whether social media just get's people hysterical but either way the current abuse of players, the racism, the death threats, is just not on. I'm done with most social media and wouldn't go near Twitter with a barge pole, because it just brings people to the boil. At the same time social media allows some footballers to show people that it's ok to be different. For the younger generation maybe social media showed them that.

Aside from the regulation of free speech on the internet, I would just like to apologise to the heelkicking holding midfielder for referring to him as 'Bad Davies' for the last year and a half. Now he can be Notbad Davies.

I think it's also a symptom of the gulf between reality of life between fans and players. When players used to be paid well, but no well that they'd never have to work again, they lived in a sort of attainable bubble - and their lifestyles wasn't so different from the fans. After retiring many would not be able to sustain the glamorous lifestyles and often have to ultimately settle for a more modest living, a nice house and car but nothing ridiculously flash. When those players made mistakes they were given more leeway because there was a stronger link with the fanbase and they were just seen as normal people. By elevating players to superstar level and the gulf in lifestyles between players and fans meaning that each can't relate to the other anymore then it's easier for adulation to turn to derision and worse. Then there's a perception of lack of commitment to the cause, lack of fight and passion for the club, simply because players are so well paid they don't have to worry about paying the mortgage next year. That they haven't got the motivation to give everything they've got because the consequences of not playing well are not that disastrous. I'm not saying this is right btw, just saying that the division between players and fans is exacerbated by the superstar status, ridiculous wages and the lack of common ground that players and fans used to have.
I think you are right. If anyone has seen The Golden Vision documentary you can see Alex Young leaving a modest house and driving a Mini car. The players in the 60s and up to the late 80s , possibly 90s did not earn inordinate sums of money etc. I think the disconnect and as a result some of the vitriol arises from players earnings, lifestyle etc . Now people are just jealous and envious. We all need to step back and realise these guys and girls are humans first and foremost. They will have good days and bad days. Many of them lead great lives and are decent human beings that give to charities ( secretely ) and provide for their families and communities . We've all seen instances of Seamus, Rico, Tom, and recently Ben giving to different charities. These are just ones that spring to mind, there are many many more.

Tony Davies with his debut article for the site!

Have a read;

There are a lot of Everton Fans on this forum. Fortunately there are many Everton supporters too.

I'm sure most football forums are the same. This article, as good as it is, is not particular to Everton.

That's an excellent read . . . . . . . . . and for some posters on here it should be a difficult read. I just hope it makes people think about what they're posting, on this very forum as well as other social media platforms.
I think you already know the answer to that.

• Haha
Reactions: kev

Status
Not open for further replies.