Homepage Article Tom Davies and the Social Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article makes a great point. The buffer the internet provides is absolutely a contributing factor, and it’s not healthy. We should all be accountable for our words. I think we’ve all been culpable to varying degrees whether that’s making blanket statements about certain players not being good enough or being more vitriolic. I for one will give myself a good talking to the next time I go to write a player off. Davies and Gomes for example have both been brilliant of late.

this is one of those topics you could spend hours debating on

we as fans could do more to stand up to this type of behaviour because i have never personally heard anyone at goodison park tell another fan to shut up and sit down and support the players instead of shouting abuse.

Well done Tom Davies respect lad...

Always liked Tom, glad he is now getting the recognition & support he deserves...

Playing well in the last few games & getting the plaudits for his efforts...

I think it's also a symptom of the gulf between reality of life between fans and players. When players used to be paid well, but no well that they'd never have to work again, they lived in a sort of attainable bubble - and their lifestyles wasn't so different from the fans. After retiring many would not be able to sustain the glamorous lifestyles and often have to ultimately settle for a more modest living, a nice house and car but nothing ridiculously flash. When those players made mistakes they were given more leeway because there was a stronger link with the fanbase and they were just seen as normal people. By elevating players to superstar level and the gulf in lifestyles between players and fans meaning that each can't relate to the other anymore then it's easier for adulation to turn to derision and worse. Then there's a perception of lack of commitment to the cause, lack of fight and passion for the club, simply because players are so well paid they don't have to worry about paying the mortgage next year. That they haven't got the motivation to give everything they've got because the consequences of not playing well are not that disastrous. I'm not saying this is right btw, just saying that the division between players and fans is exacerbated by the superstar status, ridiculous wages and the lack of common ground that players and fans used to have.

Disagree with the whole premise of that article to be honest, but it's well written so I won't bother bringing down the thread with an argument.

All I'll say is it's not a crime to aspire and expect a certain standard as a fan.
The premise of the article wasn't against aspiring or expecting a certain standard as a fan, in any way, shape or form.

I honestly think you've missed the point mate.

The premise of the article wasn't against aspiring or expecting a certain standard as a fan, in any way shape or form.

I honestly think you've missed the point mate.

No, I get it - abuse isn't on, you aren't a supporter if you do as you aren't supporting etc. etc.

But while it's a nice sentiment, I think it's a hop, skip and a jump away from saying any criticism means you aren't a 'supporter'. I think you can 'support' by expecting a certain standard and criticising when they don't make it.

To emphasise, we’re not talking about simply using social media to discuss who did or didn’t play well.

It’s the angry and/or mocking posts towards people who play for your team.

The reason I disagree is because of the above. Where do you draw the line? He uses the example of "<player> is sh*t". Sorry, but that's not abuse - that's an opinion. I think Sigurdsson and Davies have been absolutely sh*t for a long time. I'm not interested in supporting them being sh*t. It's up to them to make the grade. I'm not a mindless cheerleader.

What is its purpose? Other than a detrimental one, what effect is it going to have on someone you supposedly support?

That's what I mean about expecting a standard - that's the purpose and the answer to his question. Do I expect Everton to win every game? No, obviously not - but I expect them to compete at the comparative level they should compete at. If they don't, I can't switch my brain off and happy clap because some millionaires might read a tweet and get their ickle feelings hurt.

No, I fundamentally disagree with the premise of it. Abuse, sure - racial, personal attacks, threats, not on. But criticism, of any kind - no, absolutely not. The article doesn't do enough to separate the two.

No, I get it - abuse isn't on, you aren't a supporter if you do as you aren't supporting etc. etc.

But while it's a nice sentiment, I think it's a hop, skip and a jump away from saying any criticism means you aren't a 'supporter'. I think you can 'support' by expecting a certain standard and criticising when they don't make it.

The reason I disagree is because of the above. Where do you draw the line? He uses the example of "<player> is sh*t". Sorry, but that's not abuse - that's an opinion. I think Sigurdsson and Davies have been absolutely sh*t for a long time. I'm not interested in supporting them being sh*t. It's up to them to make the grade. I'm not a mindless cheerleader.

That's what I mean about expecting a standard - that's the purpose and the answer to his question. Do I expect Everton to win every game? No, obviously not - but I expect them to compete at the comparative level they should compete at. If they don't, I can't switch my brain off and happy clap because some millionaires might read a tweet and get their ickle feelings hurt.

No, I fundamentally disagree with the premise of it. Abuse, sure - racial, personal attacks, threats, not on. But criticism, of any kind - no, absolutely not. The article doesn't do enough to separate the two.
buddy are u fond of lawrence fox??

1jju.gif

Disagree with the whole premise of that article to be honest, but it's well written so I won't bother bringing down the thread with an argument.

All I'll say is it's not a crime to aspire and expect a certain standard as a fan.
Absolutely fine to aspire to a standard for our fantastic club. Fine, also, to point out where players don't achieve that standard, if remotely justifiable. All a matter of opinion after all. The point, I think, is that it isn't ok to call someone a coward, or say they're hiding from the ball, chickening out of tackles, or stealing a living, if you wouldn't say it to their face, or your best mate's face for that matter. The idea is for everyone to be careful with their language. Shirley that isn't a poor policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.