Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Palace corner in the 2nd half summed him up for me,he stood just inside the penalty box near the corner of it,not picking a player up theee was no Palace player near there,not a chance of blocking the corner,when it was cleared outside the box he jogged out,by the time he got near a Palace player Gana had sprinted from near the goal line to get a block in,its not that hes awful he just doesnt affect a game at all

A Palace corner in the 2nd half summed him up for me,he stood just inside the penalty box near the corner of it,not picking a player up theee was no Palace player near there,not a chance of blocking the corner,when it was cleared outside the box he jogged out,by the time he got near a Palace player Gana had sprinted from near the goal line to get a block in,its not that hes awful he just doesnt affect a game at all
Yep, but he is awful, we had grandad Barry running around like a 16yo and then him with his can't be arsed attitude.

It sickens me this and not only with Cleverley either. But he particularly annoys the life out of me with his lack of contribution...and general half heartedness.

Neat and tidy, kept the ball. Not really upto the standard,

This really, you kind of forget he's playing but not because he's really bad because he doesn't do much right or wrong. He's just there, he'll pass it and he might receive it and shift again and run a bit but thats it.

The last minute of the Palace game he had the ball in their half, a good ball could have opened them up and meant we took all three points, he over hit it and the chance was lost. A higher tier of player would have at least gave the attacker a fighting chance to get on teh end of it.

He isnt at the level we need and never will be unfortunately. Would do well at a West Brom or Bournemouth.

This really, you kind of forget he's playing but not because he's really bad because he doesn't do much right or wrong. He's just there, he'll pass it and he might receive it and shift again and run a bit but thats it.

The last minute of the Palace game he had the ball in their half, a good ball could have opened them up and meant we took all three points, he over hit it and the chance was lost. A higher tier of player would have at least gave the attacker a fighting chance to get on teh end of it.

He isnt at the level we need and never will be unfortunately. Would do well at a West Brom or Bournemouth.

Or Oldham

I think Cleverley gets an unfair level of criticism from many parts of our fan base for as your rightly point out he rarely does much wrong.

As you mention, he's in the mainstay fairly neat on the ball, regularly completes his passes (although they're rarely unambitious) and plods along.

The flip side of that however is that he doesn't really influence a game either, or at least not to a level that is required at the level we should play.

Hence why I'm reluctant to critics him; rather the blame should be at the manager who selects him for a role he simply isn't capable of fulfilling.

He'd do okay at a lower level team as you mention, although I think he'd genuinely thrive at the top echelons of the Championship.

There are more talented players, who are arguably underperforming, who deserve any criticism before Tom gets slandered.

Last edited:
I think Cleverley gets an unfair level of criticism from many parts of our fan base for as your rightly point out he rarely does much wrong.

As you mention, he's in the mainstay fairly neat on the ball, regularly completes his passes (although they're rarely unambitious) and plods along.

The flip side of that however is that he doesn't really influence a game either, or at least not to a level that is required at the level we should play.

Hence why I'm reluctant to critics him; rather the blame should be at the manager who selects him for a role he simply isn't capable of fulfilling.

He'd do okay at a lower level team as you mention, although I think he'd genuinely thrive at the top echelons of the Championship.

There are more talented players, who are arguably underperforming, who deserve any criticism before Tom gets slandered.
I think he is awful personally. Offers nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.