To All Scousers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's no cultural connection then- just a family heritage?
Dad was from Bootle which was hotbed of Evertonians in 1920s. Large family of Blues including some from older generation who had seen 1906 cup final. He was one of seven, all blues. One or two of their grand children broke with the tradition but my dad's branch of the family did not. So it runs in the family.

Heaven_And_Hell_by_Joker84.jpg

my dad was a season ticket holder at liverpool but my first ever game i saw was at goodison his mate took me when i was about 4yrs old as he was looking after me! i dont remember much about the game but remember telling my dad i wanted too support everton! he was a good bloke and a football guru he had pictures of ian st john hung up in our hallway ha ha he didnt mind! and even bought me a blue and white kit in the 70s i have often cried so many times being a evertonian utter disappointments down the years i have had to endure but y,know if i had my time again i wouldnt change my choice! oh yeh i have a 26yr old son and a 28yr old daughter and they support liverpool! ha ha that was down to their grandad though! touche!....atb tony

I think Everton just followed me around, i didn't even like football till i was in the last year of primary, hated it actually. Uncle supported them though and he pretty much was as close to a father figure I had at the time , just kept hearing their results week in week out and suddenly realised I had started following them unwittingly. I originally come from North West of Ireland but a while ago i had the chance to move to a few places for work in UK. Chose Liverpool for obvious reasons.

I know everton are a big part of peoples lives, they actually influence decisions. Who your friends are, where you live, where you drink, even who your missus is depending on if shes blue or red. Going up to that ground every the week is as traditional as sunday dinner at your family home or something like that. Its just a big part of the routine. This city is very similar to my family's & friends backgrounds at home, same attitudes same morals etc. You honestly wont find many places on earth as similar. Only other place i found a bit of this was glasgow.

Community wise, when it comes down to it. Fans just want to get the ground, meet their mates. Let loose abit ... celebrate or jeer. But do it in the company of people they've known all their lives. People they know think the same .. and not have to pay 50+quid for that privilege.

Money has ruined the game a bit now, but Moyes really had it right when he called it 'the peoples club' eventhough we have to pay to get in. Its the citys club, a community centre. Players, managers come & go. those people in those stands never change though. For everton to make a kid who hated football think like that, and from out of nowhere. Got to mean something.

Never lived in the city, but was born and spent most of my life on merseyside.

Became an Everton supporter as soon as I was old enough to know (1945 ) that my father had played in the youth teams at the club.

Only wavered once, for about 30 secs, when we sold Dave Hickson.

Never paid to enter 'the den of iniquity' - father took me once or twice, and twice went as complimentary ticket holder with a referee friend ( one of which was an EFC reserve match v Sheff Wed 1966 ).

Haven't watched a single minute of the RS playing in the last 30 years.

Mum's family are turds and RS. Dad's family always seemed ace and were blues. My uncle's house backed on to Walton Lane where goodison just looked brilliant lit up at night, think that swayed me although I don't recall making a conscious decision.

My earliest memory is crying into my puny, stripy NEC away kit - cos Paul Rideout had just scored the goal which gifted us our last major trophy.

My Dad said he would disown us if any of us defected; but even as kids you could smell the delusion from the 'other lot', so we were never tempted.

Everton fans- Majority through family
Liverpool fans- Family + A lot of kids born as blues but choose to follow that dross because they won stuff when they were 5-10 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.