Time to let Rodwell go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Moyes. Coleman is no right winger, but at the moment he is picking up his trade in front of Phil and developing the attacking attributes he will require. Why any different for Jack of the cool & calm distribution from deep?

Personally I'd continue to develop Coleman as a right midfielder. He's got 5 goals already in his debut season. We can't afford to lose that sort of contribution. If we pushed him to fullback we'd either have both him and Baines flying forward, leaving us totally exposed, or they'd both become a bit cautious and worried about whether the other one had gone forward or not and we'd lose the edge that they give us. Leave things as they are and work on Seamus's final ball.

It is probably getting a bit late in the day to convert Rodwell although Southgate switched from midfield to centreback in his mid-twenties and Platt made the switch from striker to attacking midfielder. I think the difference is that they were intelligent players who read the game well. Jack doesn't really seem to know where he should be or what he should be doing. To me he's seemed most effective as a pair with Fellaini. They had a run of games together and the only goals we conceded were from Jagielka and the penalty spot. I'd like to see them pivoting off each other, one staying and the other going with Rodwell bursting forward and hitting some shots from distance. We've seen a couple of times that he has a turn of pace and that he knows how to strike a ball.

I believe Moyes. Coleman is no right winger, but at the moment he is picking up his trade in front of Phil and developing the attacking attributes he will require. Why any different for Jack of the cool & calm distribution from deep?

Personally I'd continue to develop Coleman as a right midfielder. He's got 5 goals already in his debut season. We can't afford to lose that sort of contribution. If we pushed him to fullback we'd either have both him and Baines flying forward, leaving us totally exposed, or they'd both become a bit cautious and worried about whether the other one had gone forward or not and we'd lose the edge that they give us. Leave things as they are and work on Seamus's final ball.

It is probably getting a bit late in the day to convert Rodwell although Southgate switched from midfield to centreback in his mid-twenties and Platt made the switch from striker to attacking midfielder. I think the difference is that they were intelligent players who read the game well. Jack doesn't really seem to know where he should be or what he should be doing. To me he's seemed most effective as a pair with Fellaini. They had a run of games together and the only goals we conceded were from Jagielka and the penalty spot. I'd like to see them pivoting off each other, one staying and the other going with Rodwell bursting forward and hitting some shots from distance. We've seen a couple of times that he has a turn of pace and that he knows how to strike a ball.

Rodders is on a long term contract, I really hope he stays and develops, i agree we haven't seen the best of him yet because of injuries etc, it looks likely that Heitinger, Yobo, Mucha and Yak will leave, this will drastically reduce the wage bill (probably over 130k p/w)and bring in some funds, as pointed out earlier, Felli and Rodders interchanging one holding one bombing forward, with Arteta wide left and maybe if we could add a decent striker and right winger, and pad out the squad with a few more players on less wages, we would be in reasonable shape, obviously we have a thread bare squad, but getting rid of high earners that don't contribute much and bringing in hungry players on less wages is a good stratety. We could get Westwood of Coventry on a free as backup or eventual successor to Howard, i have mentioned before in other posts that Shane Long has impressed me a lot, also King of Leicster who we have been linked to, and possibly get a few players off relegated teams i.e if Wolves went down Kevin Doyle (this would probably take the Heitinger fee). Hopefully selling Rodwell is a last resort but shipping the players out that I mentioned earlier would be a start.

I have a suspicion that there's some spin at play with our handling of the Fellaini situation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Moyes came out before too long and said that a deal couldn't be agreed to try and alter fans' opinion of Marouane and smooth the way for a transfer.

Ive got my fears about this situation but its one i could realistically see happening, theres been too much talk from his dad and stuff that Felli has said himself in interviews when hes been back in Belgium and i feel he see's us as a stepping stone before his big move
its a massive shame if we do lose him because despite the fact that he had his doubters in his first season i do think he is the real deal in midfield

I think talk of selling Rodwell is just wishful thinking in that fans can convince themselves that it means keeping hold of the genuine quality players like Felli and Baines. Anyone who belives the scouts of top clubs haven't noticed the Rodwell is nowhere near as good as those two and doesn't look like he ever will be are kidding themsleves. Any club with decent money available that has been watching Everton will be thinking about Felli and Baines, simple as that. I'm sure Chelsea and even Man City will interested in Felliani in the summer and that could mean a big price. In my opinion fans should prepare themselves for that and stop dreaming of a big money move for Rodwell, which allows the club to keep the best players.

I think this sums up why so much is expected of Rodwell.

In December 2006, Rodwell captained the England Under-16 side to Victory Shield glory, following a 2–1 victory over Scotland.[15] Four months later he struck the first winning goal at Wembley Stadium for England in a 1–0 win over Spain.[16] On 25 March 2008, Rodwell scored England U17's only goal as they drew 1–1 with France in a 2008 UEFA European U17 Football Championship qualifier.[17]
In March 2009, Rodwell was called up to the England U21 squad.[18] He earned his first U21 cap against France[19] and scored his first goal for the squad on 8 June 2009 against Azerbaijan.[20] Rodwell earned his first start at U21 level during the 2009 European Championship in a match against Germany, scoring a goal and earning praise for his all-around performance in a defensive midfield role.

I think this sums up why so much is expected of Rodwell.

In December 2006, Rodwell captained the England Under-16 side to Victory Shield glory, following a 2–1 victory over Scotland.[15] Four months later he struck the first winning goal at Wembley Stadium for England in a 1–0 win over Spain.[16] On 25 March 2008, Rodwell scored England U17's only goal as they drew 1–1 with France in a 2008 UEFA European U17 Football Championship qualifier.[17]

In March 2009, Rodwell was called up to the England U21 squad.[18] He earned his first U21 cap against France[19] and scored his first goal for the squad on 8 June 2009 against Azerbaijan.[20] Rodwell earned his first start at U21 level during the 2009 European Championship in a match against Germany, scoring a goal and earning praise for his all-around performance in a defensive midfield role.

But people will argue he's a bit wank....

We need to keep our best players.

Neville, Arteta, Cahill all over 30 now? Osman coming up to 30. We sell Rodwell and the only capable centre midfielder we'll have soon is Fellaini.

So we can't just sell Rodwell and get a winger and striker, we'll also need a replacement for CM. In today's market getting three capable players for £30m isn't realistic.

If we sell one of our best young talents this early, we are basically saying we are a small club with no ambition.

We need to keep hold of him, at least for another 2yrs imo.

Coleman is neither a good winger nor right back hes mush and needs to be replaced asap. Hes got pace and thats about it. Final ball 80% shocking. Finishing infront of goal 80% shocking. He's not good enough. His pace is what is exciting everybody, because we haven't seen that down our wing since kanchelskis. But he is not good enough technically. If someone offered 10m I'd bite their hand off

Last edited:
Coleman is neither a good winger nor right back hes mush and needs to be replaced asap. Hes got pace and thats about it. Final ball 80% shocking. Finishing infront of goal 80% shocking. He's not good enough. His pace is what is exciting everybody, because we haven't seen that down our wing since kanchelskis. But he is not good enough technically. If someone offered 10m I'd bite there hand off

I was convinced there was hidden text in that post, but amazingly there isn't.

Coleman is neither a good winger nor right back hes mush and needs to be replaced asap. Hes got pace and thats about it. Final ball 80% shocking. Finishing infront of goal 80% shocking. He's not good enough. His pace is what is exciting everybody, because we haven't seen that down our wing since kanchelskis. But he is not good enough technically. If someone offered 10m I'd bite there hand off

Face palm. If in a few years time, when we've inevitably allowed Fellaini to go and further his career, we had a midfield that looked something like Coleman, Rodwell, Stuart Holden and Chris Brunt I would be ecstatic.

Face palm. If in a few years time, when we've inevitably allowed Fellaini to go and further his career, we had a midfield that looked something like Coleman, Rodwell, Stuart Holden and Chris Brunt I would be ecstatic.

Lol and where do you expect us to be fifnishing with that midfield? Champions league? lol

Lol and where do you expect us to be fifnishing with that midfield? Champions league? lol

Yeah. Why not? Just look at Spurs. They qualified for the Champions League with Bale (who is 'mush'), Palacios, Huddlestone (not too dissimilar to Rodwell) and Lennon in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.