Time to let Rodwell go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://vimeo.com/19891111

It's very difficult to find a good video of Rodwell, but I'd say this does him more justice than anything else I've come across. He played behind the striker in both games and was impressive, showing nice footwork, a varied passing range, athleticism, running power, creativity and getting himself into good positions. Why could he not develop in this position? I'd love to know.

I think people see a big lad and automatically shift him into defensive positions, but it's obvious to see his qualities. He can't pass a ball like Huddlestone, very few in the League can to be fair, but he can better him when it comes to footwork, dribbling ability and close control. He can push the ball infront of him and run past opposition players, something Huddlestone could never do. Basically, they are very different players, it's like Comparing Gerrard and Alonso, in terms of style.

http://vimeo.com/19891111

It's very difficult to find a good video of Rodwell, but I'd say this does him more justice than anything else I've come across. He played behind the striker in both games and was impressive, showing nice footwork, a varied passing range, athleticism, running power, creativity and getting himself into good positions. Why could he not develop in this position? I'd love to know.

I think people see a big lad and automatically shift him into defensive positions, but it's obvious to see his qualities. He can't pass a ball like Huddlestone, very few in the League can to be fair, but he can better him when it comes to footwork, dribbling ability and close control. He can push the ball infront of him and run past opposition players, something Huddlestone could never do. Basically, they are very different players, it's like Comparing Gerrard and Alonso, in terms of style.

An excellent example of why he'll be a top midfielder. He's got all the attributes needed.

Wait, we are in debt? How the hell are we on one? I mean, weren't we the club that prided ourself with having no money because we aren't taking any loans?

WTF?

Physically they're both imposing players, yet they can shift well considering their size. They've both got good close control, they can shoot from distance and they're box to box players. We've only seen in glimpses what Rodwell is capable of. Slaloming past defenders before drilling a low shot past Van der Sar, sending the City fullback the wrong way before charging up the line to set Arteta up and his European brace hopefully hint at things to come. We play with a congested midfield and very little width or movement. Arteta has found it a slog, so we shouldn't be too hard on Jack. He's only just turned 20 and he's still learning the position after all. To suggest that he has no "basic technical ability" is as unbelievable as Cash saying that Coleman isn't good enough. The way he's accepted responsibility and shone through the international ranks, I'm confident that he'll develop into one hell of a player If he can also play at centreback, that will be a bonus.

If we all saw it the same way it would be a perfect world. We really lack with that lad down the wing in my opinion. He's got pace and thats it for me and that what get our fans buzzing about him the fact he can go past players with pace. He will never ever be a world beater though..It just isn't in him technically. Yes he's grabbed a few goals, but for such a poor season on our behalf he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team. He would not get anywhere near the top 6 sides in this leagues first 11.. I'm all for giving the young lads a go....but he's not going to make us better....this is proved by our poor season which he has had a major hand in.

Sell Rodwell for £25 million and then Kenwright should divide all of the money between Fellaini and Baines, get down on his hands and knees and beg them both to stay.

Seriously though, we'd be silly to turn that money down, even if Moyes only got half to spend on the squad I thnik we could bring in 2 or 3 players who's overall value to the team would be better than Rodwell's.

Last edited:

If we all saw it the same way it would be a perfect world. We really lack with that lad down the wing in my opinion. He's got pace and thats it for me and that what get our fans buzzing about him the fact he can go past players with pace. He will never ever be a world beater though..It just isn't in him technically. Yes he's grabbed a few goals, but for such a poor season on our behalf he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team. He would not get anywhere near the top 6 sides in this leagues first 11.. I'm all for giving the young lads a go....but he's not going to make us better....this is proved by our poor season which he has had a major hand in.

He's amongst the nominations for Young Player of the Year playing 'out of position', so he can't have done too bad. I actually completely disagree with you. If you compare him to Fabio, Sagna, Bosingwa, Zabaletta, Hutton or Johnson I don't think there's a huge amount in it. In fact, in some cases, he's possibly even better than them. He's got good feet, movement, positional sense and a footballing brain. It's hard to see how an orthodox winger could have contributed more to our season. His goalscoring record exceeds Pienaar's and he's almost always amongst the candidates for man of the match. The lad is an irrepressible talent. We couldn't keep him back any longer. It's ridiculous to suggest that the team's form is to do with Coleman's inclusion. Without him we would have been much worse off. He most certainly will improve us.

You can label those criticisms at Gareth Bale too. He's a kick and run merchant with a good touch and bags of pace. Ripping Maicon apart aside...he's really done nothing of note in the premiership and has been easily stopped by a host of fullbacks including Pip Neville and Rafael De Silva. He doesnt have fancy tricks or variety to his game which is why he's easily stopped. But on a counter attack, which Spurs play well, he's deadly because of his control and pace. He has 7 goals and 3 assists in 26 games.

Which is why I find it funny everyone has gone mental over him compared to a Nani or Nasri who have a lot more to offer than Bale does. But Bale is young and will develop.

As for Coleman...its his first season from playing in the Irish league in a position he's said many times that's he's learning a lot from because its new to him as a full back. 4 goals and 3 assists in 27 games for a new player in a new position is a good return.

And his peers have recognised him which says a lot. And Ashley Cole hates playing against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.