Thomas Gravesen aka Mad Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you've ever seen him play to be honest, on the ball, with others to do the graft he won games on his own, in particular when we finished fouth, never an enforcer or tackler, very off assessment that

He only had the first-half of that season. I agree he was very creative in that time, but we banked 4th without him and aside from those few months he was as much a strongman in midfield as he was a ballplayer.

Back then we didn't have streams of every game so I only had MotD or whatever the ITV thing was called, plus our live-TV games. Wasn't physically at any games myself. But that's my Gravesen impression and I'm willing to settle on the compromise descriptor of ball-playing midfield enforcer with a strong tackle (oo'er!) who had a golden creative period in the first-half of the 04/05 season.

run of the mill players like carsley and jags carrying proper footballers like graveson and lescott???????????

Fellaini overrated?????????????????????

I absolutely despair of our fanbase

Carsley consistently covered Graveson’s erratic positional sense. That’s not questioning Graveson’s attacking qualities or his occasional x-factor, but to deny Carsley’s role in that partnership, you can’t have been watching.
And Graveson was never the same player after he left us.

Lescott was a beast in the opposition box & real goal threat. Great athlete. His best games for us were at LB, where his pace was an asset. At CB his positional sense was poor & always had a mistake in him. He was found out at City.

Fellaini overrated? Not for me. Played properly, he’s unplayable.

Carsley consistently covered Graveson’s erratic positional sense. That’s not questioning Graveson’s attacking qualities or his occasional x-factor, but to deny Carsley’s role in that partnership, you can’t have been watching.

Lescott was a beast in the opposition box & real goal threat. Great athlete. His best games for us were at LB, where his pace was an asset. At CB his positional sense was poor & always had a mistake in him. He was found out at City.

carsley was a clever player for sure, he knew what he had to do to be a good player for the team, but for someto suggest that he carried graveson is ludicrous, especially in his last season, it's far far more difficult being a creative player, and a far rarer skillset, but as is often the case hucks pretty much agree with what you are saying to some extent

carsley was a clever player for sure, he knew what he had to do to be a good player for the team, but for someto suggest that he carried graveson is ludicrous, especially in his last season, it's far far more difficult being a creative player, and a far rarer skillset, but as is often the case hucks pretty much agree with what you are saying to some extent

As I said, I don’t deny he was a good player (occasionally very good) & yes “carry” is an exaggeration. Interesting, just watching Kilbane in that link & he says what I was trying to say, IE, couldn’t tackle & undisciplined (chasing the ball).

I did like Tommy btw.

Met him once with Radinski , (who was sound) he was a total knob , thought he was something and scurried of sulking when I gave him a bit back , , no need for him as I was just having a polite chat about the game that day when he butted in looked like he wanted to be center of attention .
Had a bit of skill but to maverick to be a top player, no way a hardcase on the pitch or off it, might have caught him on a bad day but not my cup of tea.

Carsley is possibly one of our most underrated players of all time.

Never really been replaced as a defensive midfielder - the poor mans Makele.

His first pro' club recently returned to the best danish league. Made an appearance joking about pundits saying the would go without points the first 7 games. (Won their first game back 3-1).

Status
Not open for further replies.