Think we'll be ok yenno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Written off Arsenal but think the three after will pretty much shape the season now.

West Ham- Picking up but still in bottom 3. I assume that's being played after a euro game for them aswell, haven't checked to see if they're home or away.

Southampton away- Has a must win feel if West Ham isn't 3 points but not got a great record down there in recent times. Southampton are very up and down in terms of performances so coin flip on the day perhaps.

Man. United- Done o.k v them in recent years home and away but from torrid opening two games they've quickly morphed back into a solid counter attacking team.

If Arsenal is going to be difficult what would people see as a decent points return from next four. Trouble with two draws is team will just go back to bottom 3 and winless in first 10 so for all the decent gritty performances desperately need a 1-0 from somehwere.

Win a couple and yes straight into mid table pack and confidence should rise.
West Ham are away in Denmark on the Thursday before the game with us

That VAR decision on the weekend could be a sliding doors moment.

Goal allowed and we get our first league win of the season. Go into the Arsenal game buzzing and confident.

Now we will have to wait and see and hope the result is nothing like the last game of last season.

The transformation of the midfield has been enjoyable to see, all the more so because it's EXACTLY what was needed.

Look at the preseason game v Blackpool, and the first two games of the season: all featured a 2-man midfield. The two players in question weren't suited to playing in a two (none of our midfielders are, IMHO) so what happened in each of those games? We lost the midfield battle, comprehensively, and spent over an hour in each game sat in a 541 defending endlessly.

Fast forward to today: we've reverted to a 433 and bought in 3 new CMs who (in addition to being upgrades) complement the squad midfielders too. We're already seeing a mild improvement in Davies as a consequence.

Net result? Competitive midfield. Takes pressure off the defence and strengthens the attack.

As others have said, we can finish 12th barring any catastrophic injury to key players.

I've made in the last few weeks several comments about what's happening reminding me of the 80s under Howard when you could feel something coming together, we basically need that 'one' result now that kick-starts the entire thing

I've made in the last few weeks several comments about what's happening reminding me of the 80s under Howard when you could feel something coming together, we basically need that 'one' result now that kick-starts the entire thing

Fixtures have been a tough start for Frank. Having Chelsea and Liverpool at home with Brentford Leeds and Arsenal away in your first 7 games is tough especially with the injuries we’ve had. It won’t always be like this though, and we’ll hopefully pick up points at home against the non top 6 teams.

Fixtures have been a tough start for Frank. Having Chelsea and Liverpool at home with Brentford Leeds and Arsenal away in your first 7 games is tough especially with the injuries we’ve had. It won’t always be like this though, and we’ll hopefully pick up points at home against the non top 6 teams.
Agree mate, I feel the team at the moment is due a big result that's gonna kick start a very good run too

Aye and I think it's gonna be soon

We’ve been competitive in every game. It’s a world away from some of the performances last season under both managers when we either gave up straight away, or got walloped for 4 or 5. We’ll lose or draw games this season but I’m confident we’re at least going into games with a chance of competing and not just giving up on points. There’ll be teams at the bottom who go into top 6 games as tourists this season and take their beating before a ball has been kicked. That won’t be us this season from what I’ve seen so far.

The only problem here is that there isn't a league of average teams anymore. We need to have a blinder and a lot of other teams need to hit a wall to have a season even remotely close to what we had back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.