2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes the final step in the chain to getting first team football mate. If the Younger age groups cant see that they'll get out of the 23s then whats the point in sticking around? Plus im certain he got a promotion that involved him looking after the whole academy??
Hes the final step of youth football yes, If the manager doesn't want to use a 16 year old and the player is adamant they want first team football now or they're off what do you want unsworth to do about that? Are you suggesting Unsworth wielded more power than Carlo Ancelotti? Or is it some belief that there's a U23 coach out there that has the pulling power of keeping them anyway because that seems unlikely given the mass exodus from Chelsea this summer

Both players left for first team football, Small has been playing at the highest level under Unsworth since he was 15. Last I checked Unsworth ran the academy side and not the first team. If anyone is to blame from the club side its probably Ancelotti. But then caving in and just playing a 16 year old because he wants to probably isn't a good long term strategy either

Seems he's gone.

Free agent, but we're due a 'development fee' from wherever he shows up.
Where this from, saw a tweet from some random saying he’s left and is a free agent but I was under the impression he was on youth terms for another year. Not sure how much a 17y/o can be held to those type of ‘contracts’ but they must mean something.

edit this is the only thing I’ve seen saying he’s gone

What could Unsworth do about two 16 year olds wanting first team football way too early exactly?
Who says it is too early though? I would'nt trust any of the coaching staff at EFC to make a judgment on a players ability tbh, if the player thinks they are ready then give them a go. They will soon make a fool out of themselves if they arn't ready and therefore not get back in again but at the same time we might find we have saved ourselves a load of money. You never know unless you give these kids an actual chance.

Who says it is too early though? I would'nt trust any of the coaching staff at EFC to make a judgment on a players ability tbh, if the player thinks they are ready then give them a go. They will soon make a fool out of themselves if they arn't ready and therefore not get back in again but at the same time we might find we have saved ourselves a load of money. You never know unless you give these kids an actual chance.
That’s a terrible shout. A kid thinks he’s good enough to play so we should ignore the manager and coaches and play him to see if he’s good enough. Every single 16 year old would be saying they’re ready to play then.

The club mess up plenty but not in this case, the kids a known bell, thinks he’s a big shot without proving that he’s any good at all. Just another Hallam hope ie talking about earning a move to man Utd before he’d even done anything with us. Now he’s moving around league 2 and plays for Barbados rather than England.

That’s a terrible shout. A kid thinks he’s good enough to play so we should ignore the manager and coaches and play him to see if he’s good enough. Every single 16 year old would be saying they’re ready to play then.

The club mess up plenty but not in this case, the kids a known bell, thinks he’s a big shot without proving that he’s any good at all. Just another Hallam hope ie talking about earning a move to man Utd before he’d even done anything with us. Now he’s moving around league 2 and plays for Barbados rather than England.
Our youth setup is an utter joke mate, and no I don't trust the manager or coaching staff cause they have produced sod all in recent years, maybe just chucking him in is wrong I will agree with you there but we should be trying to integrate more within the first team squad imo especially as it looks like we are skint.

Our youth setup is an utter joke mate, and no I don't trust the manager or coaching staff cause they have produced sod all in recent years, maybe just chucking him in is wrong I will agree with you there but we should be trying to integrate more within the first team squad imo especially as it looks like we are skint.
I agree with you on that mate. Right now our youth setup looks worse than I ever remember it being. That said we did have a two year ban from signing kids, doesn’t seem like much has been done since the ban ended though. Shame as I expected brands to make a big impact with our youth setup the same way he’s done at clubs before.

I agree with you on that mate. Right now our youth setup looks worse than I ever remember it being. That said we did have a two year ban from signing kids, doesn’t seem like much has been done since the ban ended though. Shame as I expected brands to make a big impact with our youth setup the same way he’s done at clubs before.

Unsworth got a Promotion to "Director of the Academy" instead of being sacked. Theres a huuuuuge problem at Everton. Too many ex-players have jobs within the Youth Setup despite not being qualified to do so.

It absolutely reeks. I dont expect loads of youth players to come into the starting eleven every season, but we arent even selling our Youth Players for good money. They either leave on a free or nominal fee. Look at Harry Wilson, didnt get a look in at LFC, couple of good loans, just been bought for what £15m? When has that EVER happened at Everton?

Dont blame him for going. Everton's Youth Setup simply is not fit for purpose.

We need a shake up big time, and hopefully this lad goes on to do well, similar to another lad who left last year to go play for Angers in France. The more these lads bin the Club off and go to be decent, the more likely the Club are to wake up and realise it needs sorting.

Unsworth needs binning ASAP.
And yet they brought him to this stage in his career so they can't be that bad.

This is more about money than it is football.
We have seen this with several other young lads already.

Going to go out on a limb and say Carlo Ancelotti was probably right with his assessment he wasn't ready nor close to Digne or even Nkounkou. If we gave every 16 year old who wanted to play a game there'd be no point having a first team. I agree with the sentiment of giving kids a chance but Small has massive holes in his game defensively from watching him. He's a good talent for his age but he's not worth bending over backwards for

You do realise it’s down to the first team manager to play them, right?

First team manager plays them if he deems the ready, theres something amiss that the youth setup isnt getting them ready. Do you genuinely believe the youth setup at EFC is fit for purpose?

Its sole purpose is to produce players for the first team or make money - Everton's is doing neither.

First team manager plays them if he deems the ready, theres something amiss that the youth setup isnt getting them ready. Do you genuinely believe the youth setup at EFC is fit for purpose?

Its sole purpose is to produce players for the first team or make money - Everton's is doing neither.

Well if the players aren’t ready/good enough at 16 then why are you arsed they’re leaving?

It is a bit of a paradox that the same ones becrying THE STATE OF OUR ACADEMY !!11!! are also the ones upset that one academy prospect is leaving. Make your mind up lads does it produce or not?

Hes the final step in the chain to getting first team football mate. If the Younger age groups cant see that they'll get out of the 23s then whats the point in sticking around? Plus im certain he got a promotion that involved him looking after the whole academy??
The lad is seventeen and unproven , do you want to put him in the first team ahead of Digne ?
The only one I can remeber playing regularly at that age was Rooney and he was exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.