2020/21 Theo Walcott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some weird posts in here, as usual. He's just a decent player. He's inconsistent, he's not got the best end product, but he's a player who is more than capable of playing regularly for teams in the top half of the league, as he's shown throughout his entire career. I don't know why everyone has to be so over the top about players, good and bad. It's like when Keown said the other day that we had decent players on the bench and everyone lost their heads saying no we don't. Of course we do, they're not as good as we'd like but they're genuine PL quality players. Not everyone is as good as James, it doesn't mean you're a league one player or you're not trying.

The comment from keown and that commentator. They never said they are genuine PL standard players. They were insinuating we now had quality in depth. They havent been quality for the past few years in the starting 11 so im not sure why they are deemed quality now sitting on the bench.
Im not that bothered about it. Actualy found it quite amusing as it was clearly two people who havent watched Everton much and just threw out a lazy statement.
Tbh i cant take keown serious anyway. Comes out with some real head scratching pearlers so often. You sometimes wonder if you're watching the same game as him.

or when you come in to a team that’s doing well and is galvanised or when you come in to a team that has competition for places and you have the fight to battle to be part of the team. Yes, Everton have many shortcomings but Theo isn’t without blame here either. He was pathetic at times and unprofessional in his final appearance as, in my opinion he’d performed a Lescott style downing of tools.

I thought he might have brought a bit of leadership to the team as a senior player but he seemed to be far too inconsistent and struggled with his own game. He’d have been a decent option off the bench this season but he didn’t want that deal and he wasn’t going to be starting games for us so perhaps the move suits everyone.

It’s odd though that one of our better away performances under Carlo was Newcastle last season when we had Richarlison DCL Kean and Walcott in a 4. Similarly Watford away we used that counterattacking style to good effect also. Carlo seems to have gone away from that with loaning out Kean and Walcott and not playing Gordon as much.

The comment from keown and that commentator. They never said they are genuine PL standard players. They were insinuating we now had quality in depth. They havent been quality for the past few years in the starting 11 so im not sure why they are deemed quality now sitting on the bench.
Im not that bothered about it. Actualy found it quite amusing as it was clearly two people who havent watched Everton much and just threw out a lazy statement.
Tbh i cant take keown serious anyway. Comes out with some real head scratching pearlers so often. You sometimes wonder if you're watching the same game as him.

Glad someone else noticed this. From the outset his footballing expertise told him James doesn't defend and even though he was involved in our goals he still went on about it as his brain couldn't think of another train of thought.

I thought he might have brought a bit of leadership to the team as a senior player but he seemed to be far too inconsistent and struggled with his own game. He’d have been a decent option off the bench this season but he didn’t want that deal and he wasn’t going to be starting games for us so perhaps the move suits everyone.

It’s odd though that one of our better away performances under Carlo was Newcastle last season when we had Richarlison DCL Kean and Walcott in a 4. Similarly Watford away we used that counterattacking style to good effect also. Carlo seems to have gone away from that with loaning out Kean and Walcott and not playing Gordon as much.

he definitely started well and was saying the right sort of things but it just never happened, as has been the case with too many players recently. Carlo seems to be getting a group of players together and he knows who he can depend on, he’s done it as a player and manager and you would hope he is a great judge of character. I hope he is given as much time as possible to rebuild as I think he’s a superb manager.

he definitely started well and was saying the right sort of things but it just never happened, as has been the case with too many players recently. Carlo seems to be getting a group of players together and he knows who he can depend on, he’s done it as a player and manager and you would hope he is a great judge of character. I hope he is given as much time as possible to rebuild as I think he’s a superb manager.

Fully agree. Too often in the past it felt as though the balance has been too much with the players, some players on 5 year deals knowing that Allardyce or even Silva would be out the door after a few losses before they ever would be. Now a lot of those long term contracts are coming to an end and Ancelotti is almost untouchable given that he has always been Moshiri’s number one target. The new players that have come in are all playing for him as well. The others are now facing the choice of shaping up or shipping out. Everton will be all the better for letting Ancelotti shape a squad of players who want to play for him.

I wrote when we signed him.that he would be a good signing for max 6-18months. Theres no way we should have signed him.

Sadly @MikelsGoat and others poked fun and bullied me on this viewpoint.

Harsh times...

Glad someone else noticed this. From the outset his footballing expertise told him James doesn't defend and even though he was involved in our goals he still went on about it as his brain couldn't think of another train of thought.

Fair play to him for nicking a living doing it as everything from him is just either cliched waffle or the most bizare what the hell are you actualy watching comments.

I wrote when we signed him.that he would be a good signing for max 6-18months. Theres no way we should have signed him.

Sadly @MikelsGoat and others poked fun and bullied me on this viewpoint.

Harsh times...

I do wonder what would have happened had we given Walcott’s game time that season to Lookman but at the time I was in favour of Walcott joining. We had the look of a team that could easily get dragged into a relegation battle and our only valid striking option was Calvert Lewin (before he went beast mode). Buying a wide player with prem experience, CL experience, with a track record of scoring goals and who could hit the ground running for 20 mill seemed an absolute no brained at the time to save us from getting sucked into the battle at the bottom of the table. The mistake was putting him and Tosun on 5 year deals on high wages.

He'd gone flat as a pancake here. New club and his boyhood club there is bound to be that honeymoon period.
Good luck to him.
I think he only moved up here because Southgate blagged him that he'd be considered for England again if he was playing regularly. He was one of the few positives during the reign of He Who Shall Not Be Named, but rarely looked interested after missing out on the World Cup. Having said that, it isn't uncommon for pacy attackers to make a big impact when first introduced to a team, only to be found out for their lack of end product after a while (eg Lennon), so maybe he just ran his course here.

I always thought that he'd be more use playing on the shoulder of the last man, seeing as though he's not exactly a tricky winger or a wide playmaker, but even in a 4-4-2 he was always picked on the right of midfield.

I do wonder what would have happened had we given Walcott’s game time that season to Lookman but at the time I was in favour of Walcott joining. We had the look of a team that could easily get dragged into a relegation battle and our only valid striking option was Calvert Lewin (before he went beast mode). Buying a wide player with prem experience, CL experience, with a track record of scoring goals and who could hit the ground running for 20 mill seemed an absolute no brained at the time to save us from getting sucked into the battle at the bottom of the table. The mistake was putting him and Tosun on 5 year deals on high wages.

Walcott was on a 3 year deal (2021) and Tosun 4 years (2022).

Imagine though if rather than sign those two we had £40mil and £200k in wages to spend on someone who could have come in, had an impact and still be improving now.

Very poor signings.

We signed Walcott in January 2018. For the rest of that season, he was good. One of our best tbh.
Digne signed the summer after.
Everton have named their 2018-19 Player of the Season
On Tuesday, Everton announced their end of the season awards, also known as the Dixies. In his first season with the Toffees, Lucas Digne was named their 2018-19 Player of the Season.May 14, 2019
https://onefootball.com/en/news/eve...rton announced their,19 Player of the Season.

Everton have named their 2018-19 Player of the Season ...

https://onefootball.com/en/news/eve...rton announced their,19 Player of the Season.
I cannot do much with your duff opinions but I can be helpful about the facts.

Then Gueye was a million times better than Walcott. I can't be bothered with rating the entire team but never has Walcott been one of our best players. He just had the odd good game as he did at AFC and is now doing at Soton.

If he finishes over us with south ham and kean wins a trophy by end of season I give up.

Everton have named their 2018-19 Player of the Season
On Tuesday, Everton announced their end of the season awards, also known as the Dixies. In his first season with the Toffees, Lucas Digne was named their 2018-19 Player of the Season.May 14, 2019
https://onefootball.com/en/news/everton-have-named-their-2018-19-player-of-the-season-25632951#:~:text= Everton have named their 2018-19 Player of the Season,-OneFootball&text=On Tuesday, Everton announced their,19 Player of the Season.

Everton have named their 2018-19 Player of the Season ...

https://onefootball.com/en/news/everton-have-named-their-2018-19-player-of-the-season-25632951#:~:text= Everton have named their 2018-19 Player of the Season,-OneFootball&text=On Tuesday, Everton announced their,19 Player of the Season.
I cannot do much with your duff opinions but I can be helpful about the facts.

Then Gueye was a million times better than Walcott. I can't be bothered with rating the entire team but never has Walcott been one of our best players. He just had the odd good game as he did at AFC and is now doing at Soton.
What part of 'Walcott signed 7 months before Digne' do you not understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.