The Worst Season I’ve EVER Endured

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello big sam should have been happy we lost to a team with danny simpson at right back then

Simpson spent a season on loan at Ewood Park from Manchester United back in 2008, making 20 appearances for the Lancashire club. He was a regular under Paul Ince but fell out of favour after the manager was sacked, with Sam Allardyce replacing him in the hotseat.

He said: “I went there under Paul Ince. I was there for two weeks, got in the team and played every game. For me, it was my first spell playing in the Premier League, so I was still trying to come to terms with that, the pace of it and how important it is.

"It was enjoyable, I was learning even though the results weren’t going that well. Then he got sacked, Sam Allardyce came in, and I knew pretty much straight away that I wasn’t going to play."

I think it would win the award for most boring. Other seasons have seen awful performances, threat of relegation, poor players busting a gut, others not, some great wins, other galling losses.

This was just boring. Allardyce came in and executed a formula of targeting beating the bottom 13 at home then throwing most of the other games as unexpected bonuses. It basically meant that more than half the season was just completely written off. Beyond boring, but exactly the sort of scenario Everton have threatened for years and years.

I spent most of my time in the Ale House and Current Affairs this year. I sat through as much Everton as I could, but it was a slog and I've not felt such a lack of enthusiasm for my team in many many years.

That being said, I'll be glad to see him leave and see how we look at the start of next season. I think we're making a mistake if we go for Marco Silva, but there's an excitement all of its own in that, and the last 2 managers I had a bad feeling about (Martinez and Koeman) both had very good first seasons. I just want to not hate Everton anymore

I’ll start the post with a few points about me. I’m 29 so I’ve never seen us win anything and I live down south so don’t go to that many games but I’ve seen every minute of every game this season live and mostly whilst also being in the matchday thread here. My Dad is the only other Evertonian round here so my life is spent surrounded by mostly United, RS, Chelsea and Arsenal fans who have never been to a game.

Before the season started they expected us to finish lower top half of the table as did all the pundits on the radio and the tv and to be fair I thought we’d finish 7th again too but at least give the worst of the top 6 a good fight.

So now it’s over and we’ve finished 8th and nobody is particularly shocked so why are we so livid and disenchanted with our team?
‘What do evertonian’s expect’...

Well firstly, we expect the players to give a damn, work hard and try to win. In the league this season I can name SEVEN absolute batterings without thinking. Both Spurs games, both Arsenal games, City at Goodison, United and worst of all, capitulating to nearly relegated Southampton. These were games where we didn’t even look like we tried for the most part, in fact for the second Arsenal one, our manager decided to drop our best attackers who had just won a match and played alright and basically write off the game as a loss before it began.

We also gave the most embarrassing account of ourselves in Europe possible. We scraped our way into the group stage and did get drawn a difficult group to be fair so it’s not the not qualifying it’s the embarrassment of how it all happened again. We shipped so many goals, had punch ups and threw away a win in the last minute against Cypriot no marks with 10 men!

The problem with this season isn’t the league position. It isn’t the still not winning a trophy and not competing against the top 6 because I’m used to that, it’s the not even trying and providing no genuine moments of joy to us after bringing high profile players and talking such a good game before the start of the season.

2017/18 I can stretch myself to 3 games ALL SEASON that I enjoyed. I enjoyed Watford 3-2 because it was a bonkers game where we showed spirit and a comeback and Cleverley missed a pen right at the end. West Ham 4-0 because we found a team actually worse than us and Rooney scored an unbelievable goal. And the Leicester match where Seamus came back. Seeing him busting a gut running the length of the pitch in the 89th minute of his return after a year out was probably the only time this season I’ve felt proud of anything Everton related at all!

To sort this out Everton please do the following:
Fire Allardyce
Hire someone who wants to play a bit but also have a go against all teams. Not the old Martinez way where there is nothing but plan A which wasn’t a very good plan but actual organised attacking football with a solid defence again
No more embarrassing batterings
Get ready for one hell of a clear out of the old past it and/or just not good enough players
BUY PLAYERS TO ACTUALLY FIT THE NEW MANAGERS SYSTEM!!!
Make Seamus Coleman captain

we have had worse, but the fact we where sinking fast and the only answer everton could find was fat sam to come to the rescue....that was heart wrenching!! ive supported everton through thick and thin but that for me was one of my lowest points. fair enough he won a few games and baines and coleman where fit again but if rhino kept going the way he was im confident he would of got the results!
all in all its a relief this season is over and hopefully we can put it behind us and forget about it.
whoever come in to take over will get my full support as surely cant be anyworse can it?
onwards and hopefully upwards!!

COYB

Allardyce has better playing staff than Mike Walker, and is probably a better manager than Mike Walker, but Mike Walker’s Everton team would trounce this one.

No spirit, very little anyway.

That’s the problem.

Allardyce has better playing staff than Mike Walker, and is probably a better manager than Mike Walker, but Mike Walker’s Everton team would trounce this one.

No spirit, very little anyway. That’s the problem.

True, but how could you put any spirit into playing the Allardyce way?

For me this was the season of mind numbing slowness!
summer: We signed a few players and looked like we had changed the pace of the club's actions, then...
Treacle
we were slow to get Gylfi in the door after protracted negotiations
we were slow to start the season
we were slow to get through the Europa qualifiers
we were incredibly slow to find a replacement for Koeman
Our team had NO pace whatsoever until January
The back four were so slow we had to defend on our 12 yard line
The midfield was slow as molasses or bypassed
Our strikers we slow to get up to the pace of this level
we slowly destroyed any possibility of success and dropped out of Europe
The season dragged on through the final weeks - incredibly slowly
We were too slow to get rid of BFS after we were safe
There was zero speed, dynamism, exitement, verve, stuff to look forward to or back upon... in fact the only thing we did with any speed at all was get booted out of the cups!

You never saw us in 1997-1998 or the Smith years, did you? This season was a trainwreck, but those seasons were far, far worse. I used to regularly go the match then and trust me, it wasn't fun.

Reactions: URI

Status
Not open for further replies.