Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • Koeman IN

Votes: 77 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we're getting a bit excited after one match with Unsworth in charge, myself guilty for it.

There's no chance he'd be offered the job - I think the right thing would be to allow him take up the chance for a lower club and see if he's successful - then bring him in when Koeman either flops or uses us as the stepping stone he wants.

To be honest, I wonder if Unsworth has been offered any sort of job elsewhere?

I think it's a great shame that the period of inertia around the new board meant Unsworth didn't get longer. I am all for giving a manager time but when the moment is decided his time was up, a decisive decision would have been to let him go. Given we ended up paying him whopping compensation the delay was very costly.

For me it was the Southampton game that should have seen him removed. You could see then the fight had gone. I am convinced had we have made the change at that moment we'd have won the cup as Palace and United were poor. At worst we'd at least have got an inclination as to whether Unsworth could step up to the role immediately or more likely to a candidate to follow on from the appointed manager.

I think the second part does need to be discussed as well, which is he has limited experience in league football. However sometimes in a certain system home grown coaches can be the best option. Guardiola is probably the best example yet within Dutch and German football they are littered with examples of youth coaches stepping up to the first team successfully. Klopp, Tuchel, Favre, De Boer, Cocu etc. It's not really ever worked here so successfully but there are advantages. I see Unsworth being the sort of individual, with the support of Royle that it could be successful.

Think we're getting a bit excited after one match with Unsworth in charge, myself guilty for it.

There's no chance he'd be offered the job - I think the right thing would be to allow him take up the chance for a lower club and see if he's successful - then bring him in when Koeman either flops or uses us as the stepping stone he wants.

To be honest, I wonder if Unsworth has been offered any sort of job elsewhere?
I think if Koeman carries on this disastrous run then we'd have to do something and that would most probably be giving Unsworth a caretakers role. Realistically that's most probably the only way it would happen.

I think it's a great shame that the period of inertia around the new board meant Unsworth didn't get longer. I am all for giving a manager time but when the moment is decided his time was up, a decisive decision would have been to let him go. Given we ended up paying him whopping compensation the delay was very costly.

For me it was the Southampton game that should have seen him removed. You could see then the fight had gone. I am convinced had we have made the change at that moment we'd have won the cup as Palace and United were poor. At worst we'd at least have got an inclination as to whether Unsworth could step up to the role immediately or more likely to a candidate to follow on from the appointed manager.

I think the second part does need to be discussed as well, which is he has limited experience in league football. However sometimes in a certain system home grown coaches can be the best option. Guardiola is probably the best example yet within Dutch and German football they are littered with examples of youth coaches stepping up to the first team successfully. Klopp, Tuchel, Favre, De Boer, Cocu etc. It's not really ever worked here so successfully but there are advantages. I see Unsworth being the sort of individual, with the support of Royle that it could be successful.
Agree, we should have sacked Martinez long before we did and I also think we'd have won the Cup if we had. He really has done a good job with U23's and I think he could step up.

You can't say Unsworth is or isn't good enough because we simply do not know. We can only see he sems to be good at what he's currently doing. The important bit for me is that he's an Evertonian and that for some reason seems to be the right thing to do now more than ever.

That Davek post you've quoted is hilarious. The same guy who was slating Kenwright for interviewing Stubbs three years ago is now in favour of appointing his academy successor to manage the club. Total about face which just shows he speaks whatever tosh suits his agenda.

As for Unsworth in general, who cares if it would be good for English football ? All that matters is what's good for Everton. We're a top 8 premier league side, appointing somebody with no management experience in such a competitive league would be a terrible decision. The fact that he's got 'blue blood' is not going to win games. We're not in a Disney film.

guardiola would never have gotten the chance to build one of the greatest teams of all time if the barca board had the same mentality as our fans.
far too early to be giving koeman the boot but i hope unsworth is given the chance next.

It's shame that football structures don't allow the obvious to happen. Unsy's prime strength is his ability to organise the defensive aspects of a team and coach the players to play the system he wants. He did it very well with the u21s last season, and this season our U23s have the best defensive record in their league . Mind you they've scored the most goals too, but there's no doubt where his strengths lie. Anyway, if this was rugby Unsy would be promoted to Koeman's first team staff with the position of Defensive Coordinator or something. Our most pressing issue is our defence, you would have to believe that he would bring something different that would shore up the team .
We have 5 current or recent internationals in our defenders, 2 captain their country, despite all the individual fume generated all five haven't suddenly become bad players. I would love to see Unsy having responsibility for our defence under Koeman , bringing a fresh impetus and a chance for us to see if he can step up a level. Sadly it is virtually impossible for this to happen in our current set up.

guardiola would never have gotten the chance to build one of the greatest teams of all time if the barca board had the same mentality as our fans.
far too early to be giving koeman the boot but i hope unsworth is given the chance next.
The difference is Guardiola was taking over an established team with an overriding ethos he was already part of.
Unsworth would be taking over a train wreck of a side that has been in decline for over two seasons. You need someone who has full experience of first team management.

Status
Not open for further replies.