The rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our seasons been over for weeks according to sam,but we are still very close to what might end a europa place and could still go down,though unlikely and i thought unlikely even when he was appointed with us 5 points ahead of relegation and 8 points ahead a few days later after the huddersfield win,hopefully sam goes if we somehow get the europa place or not, but if he didnt its not because we offered him new contract etc,its because he still has a year left-

I don't think it's a delusion, it's simply a very frustrating situation.

We've spent years clinging on to the coattails of the top 4/5/6 whatever it's been at any given point, just waiting for some investment. We got the investment and we've made a complete hash of it this season. It's hardly surprising that people are unhappy.

It's nothing to do with entitlement or thinking about our past. As a matchgoing fan I can tell you that this season has not been an awful lot of fun. I haven't seen us win away, and have stood there watching us get absolutely walloped about half a dozen times. We entered 4 competitions and had no chance of achieving anything in any of them by the first week of January, forgive me for just wanting to get these dead rubbers out of the way.

I understand the frustrations but anything better than 7th this season was always going to be a challenge given the quality of those above us and the financial muscle they have. I'm not trying to say we should just accept 7th and not expect to push on but sometimes things don't work out how you want.

We've had a very poor season, but despite that, there is still a bit of hope left in that we can still get 7th, equal our position from last season (achieving our best of the rest status once again), and potentially qualify for Europe. Of course 'best of the rest' is not a tag that Evertonians should accept or be proud of when considering our overall status throughout the years but times have changed. We're now firmly behind the likes of Man City so a top 6 finish will always be a challenge for where we currently are. I'm not excusing our poor performance in relation to our hopes at the start of the season but I think it's a positive that we still have something to aim for rather than the season being completely over.

I don't see the point in blooding any youngsters because the ones we would normally be looking to blood have had plenty of game time as it is. Maybe Baningime could get some more games, but other than that I think the ones closest to the first team have all played 20+ games or are out on loan. No point throwing an 18 year old in just for the sake of it.

I'd like us to look at the rest of the season as a bit of a free hit to be honest. Unless things go drastically wrong between now and then, let's see us have a proper go at beating Liverpool and City, and all our away games rather than cowering like we have at times this season.
Vlasic and, if he was still here, Lookman spring to mind. It's about the players who have shown glimpses they CAN be far better than the absolute dross we have on the pitch week in/week out. As you say, Baningime could play as theres not a chance he could be worse than Schneidelein.

I understand the frustrations but anything better than 7th this season was always going to be a challenge given the quality of those above us and the financial muscle they have. I'm not trying to say we should just accept 7th and not expect to push on but sometimes things don't work out how you want.

We've had a very poor season, but despite that, there is still a bit of hope left in that we can still get 7th, equal our position from last season (achieving our best of the rest status once again), and potentially qualify for Europe. Of course 'best of the rest' is not a tag that Evertonians should accept or be proud of when considering our overall status throughout the years but times have changed. We're now firmly behind the likes of Man City so a top 6 finish will always be a challenge for where we currently are. I'm not excusing our poor performance in relation to our hopes at the start of the season but I think it's a positive that we still have something to aim for rather than the season being completely over.
If the money had been spent properly and a LB LCB and a CF brought in we could have been challenging Arsenal for 6th
After 27 games last season we had 44 points ( 10 more than this season ) Arsenal currently have 45

Last edited:
Pardonnez-moi?

We have a pretty large squad. It's hilariously imbalanced: in some positions we have far too many players and in other positions we have virtually none. The common theme is that the majority of the players, regardless of the position they play, are either a) seriously underperforming (e.g. Keane, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson), b) badly injured / recovering from injuries (McCarthy, Bolasie, RFM), c) have never previously shown that they are good enough for the prem (Robles, Martina, Klaassen, Niasse, DCL) or d) are already, or on the verge of being, just too old (Jags, Williams, deep breath.... Baines, Rooney).

By every conceivable definition, we need a substantial clearout of the squad. The fact we could mathematically still finish 7th and qualify for Europe is simply testament to the fact that roughly twelve clubs in the prem are run even more badly than we are.

Get rid of the dead wood (I've listed 7 players) and add four players. We still have a squad of 28.

Sigurddson is not seriously underperforming. The lad will probably get closed to double figures in goals scored, never mind the assists.
Keane also just needs to settle down.
Niasse and DCL are both having decent seasons and are useful options.
Rooney is only 32 and can do the business in midfield.
Baines is also only 32 and at worst is excellent backup.

Lose:

Williams
Garbutt
Schneiderlin
Klaasen
Besic
Mirallas
Sandro

Squad:

Pickford
Joel

Baines
New player

Keane
Jagielka
Mori
Holgate
New player

Coleman
Kenny
Martina

Gana
Baningime
McCarthy

Rooney
Davies
Dowell
New Player

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Bolasie
Vlasic
Lookman

Tosun
Niasse
DCL
New player

Vlasic and, if he was still here, Lookman spring to mind. It's about the players who have shown glimpses they CAN be far better than the absolute dross we have on the pitch week in/week out. As you say, Baningime could play as theres not a chance he could be worse than Schneidelein.
Yeah I'd forgotten about Vlasic to be honest, I would look to give him more minutes.

Get rid of the dead wood (I've listed 7 players) and add four players. We still have a squad of 28.

Sigurddson is not seriously underperforming. The lad will probably get closed to double figures in goals scored, never mind the assists.
Keane also just needs to settle down.
Niasse and DCL are both having decent seasons and are useful options.
Rooney is only 32 and can do the business in midfield.
Baines is also only 32 and at worst is excellent backup.

Lose:

Williams
Garbutt
Schneiderlin
Klaasen
Besic
Mirallas
Sandro

Squad:

Pickford
Joel

Baines
New player

Keane
Jagielka
Mori
Holgate
New player

Coleman
Kenny
Martina

Gana
Baningime
McCarthy

Rooney
Davies
Dowell
New Player

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Bolasie
Vlasic
Lookman

Tosun
Niasse
DCL
New player

Exactly this
Although maybe keep Klassen.
It’s not too hard to see the deadwood and the gaps in the squad so why can’t Walsh
Koeman for all his faults seen the gaps and stated them numerous times

I just want to see 11 men in the pitch giving 100% each week from here on out and hopefully a good run of form to help players regain their confidence. Seventh would be nice, but it's effort that I want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.