The rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
I sense that many of us would like the season to be over so we can start thinking to the future (hopefully with a new manager), but what positives can we look to get from the rest of the season? Can we blood some youngsters? Get some confidence into the squad?

Play a settled side for the rest of the season
Put youngsters on the bench and blood them when possible , even if it’s only 10/15 mins at the end of a game.
Those that will not be here next season shouldn’t be in the matchday squad
7th and Europa is still possible.
Burnley seem to have stalled and the Mahrez situation has unsettled Leicester.
A team of
Pickford
Coleman Keane Holgate Baines
Gana Rooney Davies
Walcott Naisse Siggy
for the rest of the season( barring injuries suspensions) should see us finish strongly enough.
I’d try and get Tosun up and running and starting games to see if he’s good enough.
A lot of payers need to be gone in the summer and now is the time to start building.
I’d hope Moshiri has an agreement in place for our next manager and DOF and they are watching the remainder of our games

I think we have a good opportunity to really settle the team down, achieve 7th and Europe and then go in to the summer with only a few quality additions needed (No more revolving door).

...still need to assure our Premier League status. Beyond that, I don’t see any youngsters being ready or good enough to make the step up, certainly not at this stage.

We have 34 points
On average 37 points has kept teams up in the PL era.
We are not going to be relegated and we’re imo never in any danger
Beni May be ready to get a few more games but I agree on the rest.
Even JJK who did ok has been shown by Coleman in one and a half games what you need in your locker to be a PL standard full back

I think we have a good opportunity to really settle the team down, achieve 7th and Europe and then go in to the summer with only a few quality additions needed (No more revolving door).
We would need a LB CB LM and a Striker to go straight into the first 11
Striker may not be essential if Tosun proves his worth between now and the end of the season

Pardonnez-moi?

We have a pretty large squad. It's hilariously imbalanced: in some positions we have far too many players and in other positions we have virtually none. The common theme is that the majority of the players, regardless of the position they play, are either a) seriously underperforming (e.g. Keane, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson), b) badly injured / recovering from injuries (McCarthy, Bolasie, RFM), c) have never previously shown that they are good enough for the prem (Robles, Martina, Klaassen, Niasse, DCL) or d) are already, or on the verge of being, just too old (Jags, Williams, deep breath.... Baines, Rooney).

By every conceivable definition, we need a substantial clearout of the squad. The fact we could mathematically still finish 7th and qualify for Europe is simply testament to the fact that roughly twelve clubs in the prem are run even more badly than we are.

Hard to see positives at this stage.

The only positive would be a potential one if Moshiri now realises that many mistakes have been made at all levels and that the failings of this season can never be repeated.

If that realisation occurs and corrective action taken, then the crushing disappointnents of this season can be overcome and we can look back at this period as the real turning point.

I have to say I write more in hope than expectation.

Think some of our fans have got a bit of misplaced delusion about the stature of the club in the PL era. The 6 clubs in the top 6 are currently streets ahead of the rest, and unfortunately us too. That means that a 7th placed finish is a respectable finishing position for where we are at the moment and we are only 2 points off that, despite having a terrible first few months of the season.

So I am unsure why some of our supporters want the season to end and just be written off? A 7th placed finish could get us back in to Europe, which would have been considered our minimum requirement at the start of the season and Koeman's awful management of the European season this time around should not detract from that objective.

We haven't won a trophy for 22 years - we aren't the club we once were and have no right to demand success or to act all entitled and expect a great season now that we have a bit of money. We failed in our objective to push on, so have to get behind the team for the rest of the season and hope that the form can be good going in to next season. There are still a few months for us to potentially enjoy if we start winning regularly and see the likes of Walcott and Tosun improve the performances, with returning players like Baines and Coleman helping the form too.

I don't see the point in blooding any youngsters because the ones we would normally be looking to blood have had plenty of game time as it is. Maybe Baningime could get some more games, but other than that I think the ones closest to the first team have all played 20+ games or are out on loan. No point throwing an 18 year old in just for the sake of it.

I'd like us to look at the rest of the season as a bit of a free hit to be honest. Unless things go drastically wrong between now and then, let's see us have a proper go at beating Liverpool and City, and all our away games rather than cowering like we have at times this season.

I sense that many of us would like the season to be over so we can start thinking to the future (hopefully with a new manager), but what positives can we look to get from the rest of the season? Can we blood some youngsters? Get some confidence into the squad?
11 games to go - only 2 against top 6 teams, the other 9 are 3 at home and 6 away, so....
3 home wins
6 away draws
nothing against the top 6
Total 15 points - 49 for the season
8th place (Leicester will win more of their home games)

Wishful thinking?

No - just standard Allardyce formula for the last 20 years.

And, astonishingly, he is actually ahead of that formula since he arrived.
The good run came against the poor teams, and the bad run included 4 of the top 6.

Think some of our fans have got a bit of misplaced delusion about the stature of the club in the PL era. The 6 clubs in the top 6 are currently streets ahead of the rest, and unfortunately us too. That means that a 7th placed finish is a respectable finishing position for where we are at the moment and we are only 2 points off that, despite having a terrible first few months of the season.

So I am unsure why some of our supporters want the season to end and just be written off? A 7th placed finish could get us back in to Europe, which would have been considered our minimum requirement at the start of the season and Koeman's awful management of the European season this time around should not detract from that objective.

We haven't won a trophy for 22 years - we aren't the club we once were and have no right to demand success or to act all entitled and expect a great season now that we have a bit of money. We failed in our objective to push on, so have to get behind the team for the rest of the season and hope that the form can be good going in to next season. There are still a few months for us to potentially enjoy if we start winning regularly and see the likes of Walcott and Tosun improve the performances, with returning players like Baines and Coleman helping the form too.
I don't think it's a delusion, it's simply a very frustrating situation.

We've spent years clinging on to the coattails of the top 4/5/6 whatever it's been at any given point, just waiting for some investment. We got the investment and we've made a complete hash of it this season. It's hardly surprising that people are unhappy.

It's nothing to do with entitlement or thinking about our past. As a matchgoing fan I can tell you that this season has not been an awful lot of fun. I haven't seen us win away, and have stood there watching us get absolutely walloped about half a dozen times. We entered 4 competitions and had no chance of achieving anything in any of them by the first week of January, forgive me for just wanting to get these dead rubbers out of the way.

Play a settled side for the rest of the season
Put youngsters on the bench and blood them when possible , even if it’s only 10/15 mins at the end of a game.
Those that will not be here next season shouldn’t be in the matchday squad
7th and Europa is still possible.
Burnley seem to have stalled and the Mahrez situation has unsettled Leicester.
A team of
Pickford
Coleman Keane Holgate Baines
Gana Rooney Davies
Walcott Naisse Siggy
for the rest of the season( barring injuries suspensions) should see us finish strongly enough.
I’d try and get Tosun up and running and starting games to see if he’s good enough.
A lot of payers need to be gone in the summer and now is the time to start building.
I’d hope Moshiri has an agreement in place for our next manager and DOF and they are watching the remainder of our games
Agree with nearly all of that, but I think you have managed to contradict yourself there mate.

I think that whilst Allardyce remains manager on a short term contract, it's hard to look past just getting to the end of the season and starting again.

A European place is still potentially up for grabs. But I think Leicester are better than us, so that might be tricky.

However, I hope that the foundations are already being worked on for next season with regards to who will be in charge and identifying players he wants.

But this is Everton, so probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.