The Kanchelskis transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weve not had a player since Kanchelskis (apart from a young Rooney) who made everyone stand up / sit forward in anticipation every time he got the ball.

James is clearly world class but hes not the type to run directly at goal with defenders all at sea.

Such a shame Kanchelskis was sold so quickly and i never understood why Limpar was only sold for £200k to Birmingham :(

For younger/newer fans, if Kanchelskis was in our side last season we'd have got top 4...easily.

You could say the same thing about James McFadden, who showed glimpses of brilliance. The issue is that world class players perform consistently.

Limpar was a good player, but he was never world class.
comparing McFadden to Limpar, this is truly one of the strangest forums in history

comparing McFadden to Limpar, this is truly one of the strangest forums in history
McFadden was a scorer of great goals, they just didn't happen that often. Overall, there was little consistency to his game.

Limpar's technical ability was very high. Talented player.

Weve not had a player since Kanchelskis (apart from a young Rooney) who made everyone stand up / sit forward in anticipation every time he got the ball.

James is clearly world class but hes not the type to run directly at goal with defenders all at sea.

Such a shame Kanchelskis was sold so quickly and i never understood why Limpar was only sold for £200k to Birmingham :(

For younger/newer fans, if Kanchelskis was in our side last season we'd have got top 4...easily.
The ground crackled with electricity when Kanchelskis was in full flow. But when Rooney burst on the scene you could feel it if he picked it up 30 yards in our own half.

Buy a player who gets that reaction please Everton.

the story was told was that he was a compulsive (and not very good) gambler. He was constantly in debt to his bookies (an apparently less than patient crew) and his only means of staying ahed of a knee-capping was to move frequently and use his proceeds from the transfer to keep his bookies content! Probably a load of old kaka, but the guy who told me was a big time scall himself, so I always took it as gospel?

You could say the same thing about James McFadden, who showed glimpses of brilliance. The issue is that world class players perform consistently.

Limpar was a good player, but he was never world class.
Not agreeing on this one.

Not agreeing on this one.
Which part?

I think people believe I'm suggesting McFadden is world class or even on the same level of Limpar, which I'm not. Limpar was far the better player of the two.

Yet, my point was that neither player is world class - nowhere near it. If we're to use the criteria or single outstanding performances or moments of brilliance...

... well, why not include both? It was me trying to emphasise how poor criteria will produce poor results. Limpar was a very talented player, but not world class.

At the time I was in my early teens and didn’t really question why one of the best players in the league left United to join us given we were pretty rubbish back then. Now I’m older I often think back to what a bizarre transfer it was. Why did he leave United ? Why Everton and why did no one else try and sign him ?
Gangsters..

Wrong.
Limpar had the quickest feet of any winger ive ever seen. On his day he was world class and could take the piss out of any player/defender. His short comings was consistency.

World class players are consistent my son, they have the very occasional off day.
Limpar could be sensational in one game and anonymous in the next five.

Anyway, God bless Anders for that dive against Wimbledon.

Which part?

I think people believe I'm suggesting McFadden is world class or even on the same level of Limpar, which I'm not. Limpar was far the better player of the two.

Yet, my point was that neither player is world class - nowhere near it. If we're to use the criteria or single outstanding performances or moments of brilliance...

... well, why not include both? It was me trying to emphasise how poor criteria will produce poor results. Limpar was a very talented player, but not world class.
Yeah it was the McFadden comparison. Limpar was levels above him imo.

The story goes that Kanchelskis was involved with the Russian Mafia who had send Alex Ferguson threats if he wasn't sold. We'd also just won the Fa Cup and we were progressing under Royle. The same summer we matched Liverpools offer for Collymore
Reckon if we got collymore and kanchelskis we have had a different trajectory. Ferguson, collymore and kanchelskis would have been a lot to contend with. Add limpar off the bench.
Instead within a season we were watching an aging mark Hughes and John Spenser ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.