The Importance of Game Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this lot. All a bit too scientific for me. I want is our team to get out there, tear these useless teams like Burnley apart and come out with nice 3-0 wins.

Why are we not doing that Roberto?

We played stupidly and treated Burnley with too much respect. We thought they would press quite a bit, so we stayed back and tried to hit them on the counter. We should've dominated instead and gone for the kill. Whatever, like they say: "a win is a win, isn't it?"

Read this lot. All a bit too scientific for me. I want is our team to get out there, tear these useless teams like Burnley apart and come out with nice 3-0 wins.

Why are we not doing that Roberto?

This.

Bollocks any suggestion that winning 1-0 against a 10 men burnley is something to be applauded.

I mean 3 points is 3 points. But you know it's like cheering a 5 yard pass. I want 50 yard passes that beat 4 men before I suck your cock.

state of some of these posts. earlier in the year people said they only cared about getting wins, now we're getting wins but the same people aren't satisfied with how we're winning

state of some of these posts. earlier in the year people said they only cared about getting wins, now we're getting wins but the same people aren't satisfied with how we're winning

Exactly mate, couldn't agree more.

I feel like Mirallas is visualising your sentiments here with his celebration against Burnley. Lots of superfluous, shall-we-call-it-super-or-mega-Sunday magic box chatter about at the moment with a failure to appreciate the art of winning in a controlled manner.

I call it WINCE - winning in a controlled environment

Never even got out of 1st gear on Saturday and it was clear to see. Im just happy that we're picking up wins again, dont really care how we do it. Top half finish is on the cards too now with us only 2 points behind West Ham.

Never even got out of 1st gear on Saturday and it was clear to see. Im just happy that we're picking up wins again, dont really care how we do it. Top half finish is on the cards too now with us only 2 points behind West Ham.
I thought we played quite well.
It was a game we were always in control of.

This is a thread which is celebrating playing badly and winning as being better then playing well and winning cos it means the players have put less effort into it.

It's a bit weird.

Having control is something that is important. You don't win games without control. Playing well and getting nothing was where we fell down in the first half of the season. From then we tried to play ourselves back into form by playing well and fitting things together.
Getting points on the board instead of performances has got us back on track.
Mourinho's made a career out of having control, maybe not always being the best team on the park, but doing enough to get the result.

To be honest that really is, and I make no apologies for saying it, post-1992 Invention of Football way of looking at it.

The key thing is that Ings didn't score, did he. Had he done so, we would have stepped up another gear and scored again.

We clearly have a style of play - complete command in defence and defensive midfield, a 'rogue element' in a roaming number 10, aggressive wing play and CF link man. We were superior in every department today and basically played with the United game in mind.

Have you seen Kone lately ?

I love your optimism.

Not too long ago we had many saying they would rather the 3 points than the pretty possession football. Win 'Ugly'. Job done but we still cannot satisfy everyone.

Well but they're two different sets of people.

I never said I wanted us to win ugly and I'm not delighted now we are.

It's not hypocrisy when two different people say two different things.

This is a thread which is celebrating playing badly and winning as being better then playing well and winning cos it means the players have put less effort into it.

It's a bit weird.
Know it is all about opinions but personally don't think we played badly on Saturday, got complacent in the second half with the man advantage and there was the penalty fiasco but we did have over 20 shots on goal with 9 on target - Heaton made some good saves or else the scoreline would have looked far more favourable.

Know it is all about opinions but personally don't think we played badly on Saturday, got complacent in the second half with the man advantage and there was the penalty fiasco but we did have over 20 shots on goal with 9 on target - Heaton made some good saves or else the scoreline would have looked far more favourable.

Nah, we were worthy winners. Wasn't a great game but we were alright against admittedly terrible opposition.

Nothing to be upset about, nothing much to crow about either. Meat and drink win with the odd glimpse of quality.

I'd like us to play better than that (as we did last year and the year before) but it was fine.

I just think celebrating us winning 1-0 rather than 4-0 as being intelligent and controlled is a bit weird.

Nah, we were worthy winners. Wasn't a great game but we were alright against admittedly terrible opposition.

Nothing to be upset about, nothing much to crow about either. Meat and drink win with the odd glimpse of quality.

I'd like us to play better than that (as we did last year and the year before) but it was fine.

I just think celebrating us winning 1-0 rather than 4-0 as being intelligent and controlled is a bit weird.
In spirit I agree with you, especially at the start of a season - I really enjoyed the Goodison game against Chelsea but guess I'm in the minority.

But towards the end of either the league or a cup run can see the benefits of being pragmatic even if don't find it particularly enjoyable. Last season's home win versus Arsenal was the best of both worlds and would be nice to get back to that!

In spirit I agree with you, especially at the start of a season - I really enjoyed the Goodison game against Chelsea but guess I'm in the minority.

But towards the end of either the league or a cup run can see the benefits of being pragmatic even if don't find it particularly enjoyable. Last season's home win versus Arsenal was the best of both worlds and would be nice to get back to that!

The thing about pragmatic points on the board is I know it's nice for the fans and for the money and everything but honestly for me the season was over 3 games ago.

I can't care too much about the results any more when we're just drifiting around midtable. All you start thinking about is 'do we look like a tema who can win a trophy next year' and we don't really. I mean I'd rather we beat qpr and burnley than not, don't get me wrong. but we're not playing well enough that it convinces me that we can beat anyone else.

Which, again it's not a huge deal, we have the summer for Martinez to rebuild and get us as good as I want us to be. But I'm not throwing street parties over it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.