The Importance of Game Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

orly

Please check with me for Blammo criteria
A lot of extreme negativity in the match day as the mighty Blues closed out their 4th win in 5 games to make it 13 points from 15 available.

But I would argue that across the last handful of games we have seen a vast improvement in our 'game management' - doing just enough required to get the necessary result. Even against Swansea, a Coleman aberration aside, you could see that the most important thing was to remain unbeaten during the run.

What we could have done there was take off McCarthy and Barry, put Naismith and Lukaku on and go nuts with a Barkley / Kone / Lukaku / Lennon / Naismith axis of terror, but against a 10 man Burnley, what truly is the point? We've let Lukaku stretch out his hamstring in the summer sun and cruised through the second half.

I'm heartened by a return of Everton performances with a bit of maturity to them. If we go ahead against United on the 26th, expect more of the same - and rightly so.

Job done simple as really.

We should have made it more comfortable but Burnley offered very little and Howard wasn't tested at all, can't complain to much after a win against a team who's goalkeeper gets MOTM.

Can't agree with this. Managing a 1-0 home lead against the worst side in the division and they're down to ten men? Just takes one moment (Ings chance) and you've ruined it. Managing games is getting 2 or 3 up then killing it like Mourinho. It's not KITAP1.

It's great to see us win but with better finishing from the opposition we could have drawn or lost these games quite easily. Newcastle aside we've not been markedly superior in any of the games. Maybe if nothing else our luck has improved and we've focussed on being more defensive.

Without a clear style of how we want to play successfully though we are only some bad luck or an injury crisis away from some of the runs of form from earlier in the season. We won't do anything in the league next season with this approach. Mid table beckons.

Can't agree with this. Managing a 1-0 home lead against the worst side in the division and they're down to ten men? Just takes one moment (Ings chance) and you've ruined it. Managing games is getting 2 or 3 up then killing it like Mourinho. It's not KITAP1.

It's great to see us win but with better finishing from the opposition we could have drawn or lost these games quite easily. Newcastle aside we've not been markedly superior in any of the games. Maybe if nothing else our luck has improved and we've focussed on being more defensive.

Without a clear style of how we want to play successfully though we are only some bad luck or an injury crisis away from some of the runs of form from earlier in the season. We won't do anything in the league next season with this approach. Mid table beckons.

To be honest that really is, and I make no apologies for saying it, post-1992 Invention of Football way of looking at it.

The key thing is that Ings didn't score, did he. Had he done so, we would have stepped up another gear and scored again.

We clearly have a style of play - complete command in defence and defensive midfield, a 'rogue element' in a roaming number 10, aggressive wing play and CF link man. We were superior in every department today and basically played with the United game in mind.

Not too long ago we had many saying they would rather the 3 points than the pretty possession football. Win 'Ugly'. Job done but we still cannot satisfy everyone. We can't afford the squad to challenge in Europe and maintain a healthy PL finish so next season hopefully we will see a bit more flair back with wins to go with it. Martinez has probably learned more from this season about his players than last season and its up to him to recognise what is needed. I don't think he will be a manager that will start the season hoping to finish in the top 8 or so as I believe he has more ambition than that. He also won't make excuses about money being the be all and end all. He believes in himself that he is capable of breaching the top 4 and that is good enough for me. I would rather us fail attempting than just being satisfied being in the top 8.

Yes ings could have ruined it but we had enough chances to kill the game but we didn't take them.
The same applies to the second highlighted line....With better finishing from Everton and we could have easily drawn or won a lot of games.

Yes ings could have ruined it but we had enough chances to kill the game but we didn't take them.
The same applies to the second highlighted line....With better finishing from Everton and we could have easily drawn or won a lot of games.

Exactly @banno lid, good point.

Arsenal's first half there has proven a timely reminder of the value of game management - you don't have to play well, but get a 1-0 lead and see it through to the necessary junctures.

Common sense football, brutally under-appreciated by those with an unhealthy Murdoch obsession

A lot of extreme negativity in the match day as the mighty Blues closed out their 4th win in 5 games to make it 13 points from 15 available.

But I would argue that across the last handful of games we have seen a vast improvement in our 'game management' - doing just enough required to get the necessary result. Even against Swansea, a Coleman aberration aside, you could see that the most important thing was to remain unbeaten during the run.

What we could have done there was take off McCarthy and Barry, put Naismith and Lukaku on and go nuts with a Barkley / Kone / Lukaku / Lennon / Naismith axis of terror, but against a 10 man Burnley, what truly is the point? We've let Lukaku stretch out his hamstring in the summer sun and cruised through the second half.

I'm heartened by a return of Everton performances with a bit of maturity to them. If we go ahead against United on the 26th, expect more of the same - and rightly so.

Your positivity is great, phenomenal almost. We've been laughable all season and far from consciously doing "just enough", we're giving the best martinez can get out of the players. Desperate and dull to watch, week in week out

Your positivity is great, phenomenal almost. We've been laughable all season and far from consciously doing "just enough", we're giving the best martinez can get out of the players. Desperate and dull to watch, week in week out

Chelsea were second best most of the first half, and yet lead 1-0

Quod erat demonstrandum

Status
Not open for further replies.