The Gwladys Street End

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasnt great on saturday, not a huge game tho youll find most grounds are the same.

west ham certainly isnt like that normally for example it was bouncing there on saturday

when we had martinez we had a few excellent chants the allez allez oh, money cant buy you stones, school of science and diamond called ross barkley were chanted for ages

need better songs, more from our players to get us going

There's a clip of the old Gwladdy just after Kingy scored "that" goal, it is truly a sight to behold.

I was lucky enough to be in the Gladwys Street End for that match what a game and atmosphere one of the best ever, never forget getting my Priority Voucher at the Middelsboro game

This is how it was at its best = standing
For those too young to know, the back middle of the Gwladys Street was always the place to go if you were into the singing at Everton throughout the terraced years. Even when the seats came in 1991, everyone still stood at the back and you’d still get a good variety of songs and many moments of your non stop singing, a more pro active culture of trying to outsing the other teams fans, and trying to motivate the team first rather than waiting for the team to motivate the fans.

gwladys-street-645298277.jpg

That was what I grew up with and the Evertonian subculture I fell in love with, but when the change came to reserved seating around 1996 due to our uprise in attendances it was harder for fans to group together so our singers became more dispersed leading to lower levels of singing with the game determining the atmosphere. This is how the Sky era liked the game to be branded and the fans controlled, so it was always going to be up to the traditional fans to organise themselves via movements like standing areas to react against this.
Been in every part of the Old Lady, but the Gwladys is my favourite. Been in the family enclosure for 8 or 9 years now but do miss it. The seating has definitely taken away some of the atmosphere and that's why I think we need a standing area when we get our new stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.