The Gwladys Street End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Went in the Gwladys Street for my first ever game and I've now had the same seat in block GT4 in that stand for 24 seasons. Absolutely no way I'd ever get a season ticket for any other part of the ground.

Going to be a real shame when the Gwladys is no more.

Always think I'm "too old" for the gwladys but when it gets going there's nowhere in earth id rather be. Plus I want to make the most of her before we eventually move on... from row X backwards is a joy, upper doesn't half help keep that atmosphere in.

I would have thought I was too old as well but decided to go in there for the Young Boys game,

I thoroughly enjoyed it......I had not been in the Gwladys fir a couple decades.

And surprisingly, I did not feel out of place as there were many older fellows in there :)

But way back when GSE was all standing what a do that was with the surging. Not sure how many folk on here were standing back then.

One of the most memorable occasions was when Vernon scored against Inter Milan, the end was fantastic than then cheating Ref disallowed the goal. The end was in uproar!!

This is how it was at its best = standing
For those too young to know, the back middle of the Gwladys Street was always the place to go if you were into the singing at Everton throughout the terraced years. Even when the seats came in 1991, everyone still stood at the back and you’d still get a good variety of songs and many moments of your non stop singing, a more pro active culture of trying to outsing the other teams fans, and trying to motivate the team first rather than waiting for the team to motivate the fans.

gwladys-street-645298277.jpg
http://myevertonnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/gwladys-street.jpg

That was what I grew up with and the Evertonian subculture I fell in love with, but when the change came to reserved seating around 1996 due to our uprise in attendances it was harder for fans to group together so our singers became more dispersed leading to lower levels of singing with the game determining the atmosphere. This is how the Sky era liked the game to be branded and the fans controlled, so it was always going to be up to the traditional fans to organise themselves via movements like standing areas to react against this.

Status
Not open for further replies.