The great escapes.

The greatest escape?

Votes: 54 83.1%

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart took the pen v Wimbledon, but Cottee had scored 2 pens that season, anyone know why Cottee never took it? Glad Stuart did now like.

I was at the 98 game against Coventry, I was only 13/14, just remember the relief at the the end then everyone fuming and chanting Johnson out, i got on the pitch and took a piece of turf home, all the good bits like the pen spot and centre circle was gone, we only had a back yard so i kept it in a pot and cut if with scissors until the cat crapped on it

Wimbledon game was much better. Looked dead and buried, great come back. The team showed a bit of fight. Bit more optimism afterwards that walker might turn it around in the long run.

Coventry was just absolutely depressing. That era was just absolutely horrific looking back

Wimbledon was incredible we were done , we fought back . The feeling was amazing, tension more than any cup final or league championship run in the relief was amazing and the celebrations just so special. The extreme highs and lows , never again we said .

Not to Coventry was just horrible , just left dirty and cheap . Game was awful as were we , sure there was relief but it was just another kicking .

The two can’t be compared for me

I was at both games and they were both escapes, but there was nothing 'great' about either. Disgraceful for a club of this statue to find itself in such a position.

The 1994 side wasn't a bad side it was just badly managed by someone way out of his depth. The 1997/98 team was a side choc full of some of the worst players I've ever seen during my time as a supporter and it really should've been relegated.

We got lucky in both those last day deciders.

Wimbledon was incredible we were done , we fought back . The feeling was amazing, tension more than any cup final or league championship run in the relief was amazing and the celebrations just so special. The extreme highs and lows , never again we said .

Not to Coventry was just horrible , just left dirty and cheap . Game was awful as were we , sure there was relief but it was just another kicking .

The two can’t be compared for me

94 all day.

Plus the night out in town was like nothing I`ve ever experienced before or after.

The whole of town was blue that night.

94 all day.

Plus the night out in town was like nothing I`ve ever experienced before or after.

The whole of town was blue that night.

Exactly mate it was pure joy ,sad to say but like winning Something an incredible feeling and fantastic celebrations .

The feeling after the Coventry Was the kind of relief you get when someone stops hitting you nice like but let’s be fair you’d just rather it hadn’t happened .

Stuart took the pen v Wimbledon, but Cottee had scored 2 pens that season, anyone know why Cottee never took it? Glad Stuart did now like.

Probably because Cottee was poor from the spot overall. He missed twice as well in 93/94 away at Coventry which cost us a point and at home to Man Utd in the League Cup.

He also infamously missed a last minute penalty away at Chelsea which would've kept us in the FA Cup a season or so earlier. I'm glad he bottled that Wimbledon pen as I've no doubt he'd have missed it.

94 by a mile - two penalties, an oggie, a screamer, a fluke, better atmos, saved our own arses, went from 21st to 17th in the space of 45 minutes.

Plus it was chronologically closer to the 87 title win. Think back to seven years ago (beating City, Moyes leaving, limbs at OT) - flown by hasn't it? Hard to imagine a title win and the great escape separated by such a short time.

Everton that.

Ya know Chelsea fans were booing their own team that day.. they wanted Bolton to win and us to go down.
I was on hols and was talking to one of the hundred thousand or so Chelsea fans claiming to have been at the Bridge when they had their lowest attendance of six thousand.
He agreed that they wanted us to get relegated and was at that game cheering Bolton.

Status
Not open for further replies.