The great escapes.

The greatest escape?

Votes: 54 83.1%

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
94 for me. Came so incredible close to being my first ever Everton game at Goodison. Still to this day I'm annoyed by myself about the decision to make my maiden trip to Goodison a fortnight earlier. Can remember myself sitting in front of the television. Listening to and watching BBC's final score throughout the match. Oh boy, the rollercoaster of emotions that we had to go through that day.

I was at both and 94 was more momentous by a long way.

The atmosphere was electric and the roar following the equaliser was the most primeval, guttteral sound I have ever heard: it shook the ground to it's foundations. The winner seemed inevitable at that point.

It was almost a religious experience: despair, hope, resurrection and redemption, all in the space of 90 minutes. Quite spiritual.

Have never experienced an atmosphere like it, and I never want to again.

94 by a mile - two penalties, an oggie, a screamer, a fluke, better atmos, saved our own arses, went from 21st to 17th in the space of 45 minutes.

Plus it was chronologically closer to the 87 title win. Think back to seven years ago (beating City, Moyes leaving, limbs at OT) - flown by hasn't it? Hard to imagine a title win and the great escape separated by such a short time.

Everton that.

Funny isn't it.

I put it down to my age. Between the cup final loss to Liverpool and the Wimbledon game looking back feels like eternity. 5 years ago now feels like yesterday.

The greater escape will undoubtedly be removing ourself from this Groundhog Day esque loop of tedium and pure insignificance.

Probably because Cottee was poor from the spot overall. He missed twice as well in 93/94 away at Coventry which cost us a point and at home to Man Utd in the League Cup.

He also infamously missed a last minute penalty away at Chelsea which would've kept us in the FA Cup a season or so earlier. I'm glad he bottled that Wimbledon pen as I've no doubt he'd have missed it.
I went sick when I saw Southall running up to take the penalty, he just got up to the halfway line when he got waved back by someone from the dugout, someone with a bit of sense. That team wasn’t great but should never have been in that position on the final day, they were better than that. The Coventry situation was a different kettle of fish with one of the poorest players being the lad who scored the goal that kept us up, Farrelly, but the whole club was in the dumps at the time and Kendall’s best days were long gone and the whole day, like the weather that day, was damp and dismal and all I felt after the relief of staying up had passed, was pure anger that the club had been allowed to sink to such depths.

I actually personally found 98 more nerve-racking,my head had gone in 94 when we equalised at 2-2,I thought we were safe!!when Barmby(spits!!)missed that pen and the Dublin header squirmed through Tommy it was a case of please God don't let them get another or even please don't equalise down at Chelsea Bolton,otherwise that was it for us,my head was in bits, the relief at the death was incredible,I think we were luckier that season than four years previous as performance/results wise we were even worse in 1998.

I actually personally found 98 more nerve-racking,my head had gone in 94 when we equalised at 2-2,I thought we were safe!!when Barmby(spits!!)missed that pen and the Dublin header squirmed through Tommy it was a case of please God don't let them get another or even please don't equalise down at Chelsea Bolton,otherwise that was it for us,my head was in bits, the relief at the death was incredible,I think we were luckier that season than four years previous as performance/results wise we were even worse in 1998.
Plus getting away with murder with the "goal" at Bolton

I was at both and 94 was more momentous by a long way.

The atmosphere was electric and the roar following the equaliser was the most primeval, guttteral sound I have ever heard: it shook the ground to it's foundations. The winner seemed inevitable at that point.

It was almost a religious experience: despair, hope, resurrection and redemption, all in the space of 90 minutes. Quite spiritual.

Have never experienced an atmosphere like it, and I never want to again.

You’re use of the term “religious experience “ is a perfect way to describe the whole game and the night out afterwards.

I was in work at 7am the morning after and it was a good job my boss was a blue, as he was still as drunk as I was lol

Both terrible experiences but I've ended up watching both of them during this lockdown.

I don't like it when some people use these periods as a yardstick to measure or compare performance however. We were league champions 7 years prior to 94 and won the cup in between 94 and 98. Truth be told, these circumstances were anomalies for Everton rather than the norm.

94 for me. Came so incredible close to being my first ever Everton game at Goodison. Still to this day I'm annoyed by myself about the decision to make my maiden trip to Goodison a fortnight earlier. Can remember myself sitting in front of the television. Listening to and watching BBC's final score throughout the match. Oh boy, the rollercoaster of emotions that we had to go through that day.
You might've struggled to get in. Huge queue to get in the ground, lots left outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.