The great escapes.

The greatest escape?

Votes: 54 83.1%

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madar was a bit of a beaut agreed, but he scored some crucial goals during our relegation fight in 1998 which got us draws at West Ham and Tottenham plus he got the winner against Blackburn at home.

Cadamarteri, by contrast, didn't score for a year after his derby goal earlier in that season. After his initial burst when he first got into the side he quickly faded.
Madar missed an absolute sitter at the pit iirc, would've been the winner too.

I hate the way these are talked about as an achievement and even worse adorn the timeline at Goodson. They should be forgotten and never spoken about, I was at both, they were horrible but ultimately embarrassing.

Everton FC celebrate success not failure.

Partly why I posted, was looking to see if anyone could confirm. Not complaining, just appreciating our uncharacteristic luck!
Segars was definitely on the fiddle. If you watch some of the goals he conceded you can just tell he moves his hands away slightly to just miss a shot. Was watching that Dalian Atkinson goal for Villa vs Dons in 1992(?) and from the replay it looks like he doesn't quite want to fully stretch up for ball. Still a good goal though.They both got done in the end for betting.

He could play football but was a bit of a journeyman beaut. Think Danny C said it knocked his confidence back seeing Madar get picked ahead of him - although this might have been under Smith (would fit his style to play no one under 30).
Whatever you think of Cadamarteri he was a promising player at the time, with long term potential, whereas Madar was never going to offer much to the club in the bigger picture. Played 19 games in 2 seasons for us.
Cadamarteri really wasn't a prospect though, he was awful. I'll always love that derby goal, but he's the type of player who wouldn't even get a squad call up these days, he just got a chance because we were unbelievably awful. He never played top level football again after leaving us, tells you all you need to know. Madar was a French international who had a long career playing at the top, there was no comparison.

Cadamarteri really wasn't a prospect though, he was awful. I'll always love that derby goal, but he's the type of player who wouldn't even get a squad call up these days, he just got a chance because we were unbelievably awful. He never played top level football again after leaving us, tells you all you need to know. Madar was a French international who had a long career playing at the top, there was no comparison.
Was he that bad? If you don't develop young players properly then they never play top level football again - that is a truism.
Not saying he was all that but I am certain he didn't get proper development as we were a shambles at the time.

I mean we've seen this right in front of our eyes with DCL - looked really average for a long time. But if you're patient, and you ignore the Park End Teds, good things can happen.

In 94 I wasn't season ticket holder until a year later but just managed to squeeze in before the Street End turnstiles closed. I recall loads of fans who had obviously failed to get in climbing the trees in the park to watch the game as the Park End hadn't been built. The game ending in blazing sunshine after a late winner from us summed up the euphoria inside Goodison.

98, by comparison, ended up with us conceding a late goal with fraught nerves everywhere until the final whistle went. Unlike 94 there was anger all round with it being directed towards Peter Johnson and it was probably apt it was absolutely peeing it down at the time to sum up everyone's miserable mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.