The Everton Board Thread

I think there is alot of idealism at play regarding having all signings made prior to the start of the season. Of course we would like all our players in for pre season and give them time to adjust to their new life and bed in with the squad, of course we would like replacements in the door as soon as important players leave the club , but that is just not the reality.

Look around the league, look at the top leagues around Europe. There are many teams struggling to land their targets. It's not just us. This is how the transfer window has always worked. There can be an element of brinkmanship to deals and that is shown in how many deals get completed at the very end of the window.

These are multiple million pound negotiations. They take time. And if we have learned anything from the last few years its that its better to be patient and get the best deal to land our targets because panic buying and throwing huge wages around to appease fans to get players in has been a factor in the mess we find ourselves in letting so many players that we paid transfer fees for walk away for free.

We need to see how this all comes together at the end of the window.
There's a difference between not having all your signings in at the start of the season that's to be expected but not having one forward of standard is completely insane. We just finished 16th and stayed up by the skin of our teeth!

But this is the issue - we're in a period of a rebuild under a new DOF and manager but you're judging them unfairly based on the recruitment mess of the last 5-6 seasons.

The squad is garbage mate, hogwash, rubbish - we needed about 8-10 signings on July 1st - that was never going to be solved by the Chelsea game it just wasn't. Most clubs haven't finished their business yet.

Yes we sold Richarlison but that largely was to cover losses - it didn't allow Thelwell to go throw £40 million on a top CF on 150k a week.

Its not ideal mate but fans need to have patience and realise Rome wasn't built in a day look at Arsenal under Arteta.

Fans can either get behind the DOF/manager or continue the instability of the last few years of in house fighting and protests because we aint going from 16th to 6th in one summer.

If DCL had stayed fit no one would be fuming thats the issue - Newcastle are mega rich with no FFP worries yet they are a Callum Wilson injury away from being in our position because they haven't yet signed a CF.

Its not as easy as FIFA.
I am behind the manager I've also got patience I don't expect much us to do much beyond stabilise this season, if we are lucky this season but I do expect to have a forward in the squad who can play and be a threat not to be going into games hamstrung and thus giving us less ability to get points, to put us under pressure from the start, by saying this I'm questioning the board. We had to sell Richarlison because of the owner/boards complete mismanagement. It's ok saying if DCL was fit but I would still be saying we need a forward DCL's broken down two or three times in recent years plus who comes on for him who rotates who gets goals from the wings? As I keep saying one forward/goal scorer is nowhere near enough in this league. The idea you can just rely on one player in a key position is the madness they do over and over look at a 32 year old Seamus playing for seasons with no backup.

There's a difference between not having all your signings in at the start of the season that's to be expected but not having one forward of standard is completely insane. We just finished 16th and stayed up by the skin of our teeth!
We had Calvert Lewin and Rondon. One got injured and as much as most of us don't rate Rondon he is our back up forward.

In comparison from last season compared to this we are minus Richarlison and Tosun as attacking options in the Squad and plus Mc Neill.

Really not grounds for the pitchforking thats going on. We could sign one/two forwards in the next 12 days and all will be rosey.

We had Calvert Lewin and Rondon. One got injured and as much as most of us don't rate Rondon he is our back up forward.

In comparison from last season compared to this we are minus Richarlison and Tosun as attacking options in the Squad and plus Mc Neill.

Really not grounds for the pitchforking thats going on. We could sign one/two forwards in the next 12 days and all will be rosey.
I agree that pitchforking isn't reasonable; although I haven't seen much pitchforking to be honest.

We are minus Richarlison which makes a massive difference; we are minus Tosun which doesn't.

Calvert Lewin got injured, could anyone have foreseen that?
Well, yes, anyone who's followed Everton for more than a couple of seasons as "injured" now seems to be DCL's default setting.

Hopefully we do get more in as you say, things looking rosy would do just fine for me.

It's not though. It's the average for a striker at a club outside the top 10.

Last season....Wolves, Brighton, Newcastle, don't have a striker who scored more than 8. Leicester have Vardy. Villa have Watkins getting more than 10. Zaha got more than 10 for Palace. Watford had Dennis. Pukki got 11. It's a massively mixed bag but for the most part a 10 goal a season striker is looking at the top end of the market

Anyone with 10+ goals is rated £20-30million. We have Dom coming back. We aren't spending £30mill on a back up striker. We'll more than likely we looking at 2 or 3 forwards.
All of the teams you mentioned with strikers who scored what Adams scored are mediocre. Now, maybe we should be aspiring to mediocre because, frankly, we were worse than mediocre last season. I stand by my original statement that 8 goals a season is nothing to be impressed by.

He's clearly not, though, is he? Even in the absence of another forward Lampard won't start him. What that means is that we were going into the season with one forward that our manager would play. That's mismanagement.

He's clearly not, though, is he? Even in the absence of another forward Lampard won't start him. What that means is that we were going into the season with one forward that our manager would play. That's mismanagement.
Regardless of any of our opinions on his quality, or lack off he's clearly our back up striker.

All indications have been that we are and have been looking to recruit attackers, including a striker. It just hasn't came of as of yet.

I am glad the club isn't panic buying and moving away from our targets because our main striker picked up a freak injury that puts him out for a few weeks.

Lets hope we continue to work on recruiting who we want and need.

Regardless of any of our opinions on his quality, or lack off he's clearly our back up striker.

All indications have been that we are and have been looking to recruit attackers, including a striker. It just hasn't came of as of yet.

I am glad the club isn't panic buying and moving away from our targets because our main striker picked up a freak injury that puts him out for a few weeks.

Lets hope we continue to work on recruiting who we want and need.
And let's hope we aren't on zero points after five games and heading into the derby before we recruit who we want and need.

All of the teams you mentioned with strikers who scored what Adams scored are mediocre. Now, maybe we should be aspiring to mediocre because, frankly, we were worse than mediocre last season. I stand by my original statement that 8 goals a season is nothing to be impressed by.

We only ever had 1 striker more than 10 (Yakubu) under Moyes. Everyone tapped out at 8-10. Cahill had 11 in his first season. Fellaini maybe. Then Saha tapped at 10. So almost a decade of mediocre strikers.

Lukaku, Richy, and Dom are the only 3 since that have scored 10+.

A striker who gets 8-10 goals a season in the premiership is nothing to be sniffed at. Anything above that is the top drawer of the league IMO.

And let's hope we aren't on zero points after five games and heading into the derby before we recruit who we want and need.
And if we do have no points after 5 games that isn't solely on us not recruiting another striker.

You are just focusing on what we haven't done and not what we have.

Our defence was an issue last year so we signed 2 new centre backs and thankfully so as we lost 2 in the first game.

Our midfield was an issue so we have signed a midfielder and again thankfully so as we lost a midfielder at the weekend.

We have also signed Mc Neill as an attacking option.

Some people will just never be happy unless every piece of buisness is done on July 1st and thats just not the reality of how the transfer market works.

And if we do have no points after 5 games that isn't solely on us not recruiting another striker.

Our defence was an issue last year so we signed 2 new centre backs and thankfully so as we lost 2 in the first game.

Our midfield was an issue so we have signed a midfielder and again thankfully so as we lost a midfielder at the weekend.

Some people will just never be happy unless every piece of buisness is done on July 1st and thats just not the reality of how the transfer market works.
Some people were saying our business was poor for weeks while others were getting carried away and buzzing as usual. Then we started to play football and people were brought back down to earth

Our business has been nowhere near as good as many fans said. The narrative this summer around our signings has been a laugh. People just have no clue about football is my only conclusion. They genuinely thought we could replace Richarlison's impact by signing a couple of decent defenders on the cheap.

Some people were saying our business was poor for weeks while others were getting carried away and buzzing as usual. Then we started to play football and people were brought back down to earth

Our business has been nowhere near as good as many fans said. The narrative this summer around our signings has been a laugh. People just have no clue about football is my only conclusion. They genuinely thought we could replace Richarlison's impact by signing a couple of decent defenders on the cheap.
I am yet to see anyone say the aim of our defensive recruitment was to replace Richarlisons impact.

Crazy statement.

I'm not buzzing about our buisness. We have done some good bits but still more to do. I am just realistic in thinking that these things take time and thats why there is alot of movement at the end of the window. The transfer window isnt shut yet.

It boggles my mind that you can have watched the first two games, seen a complete absence of goal threat and still say that has nothing to do with our points tally. Clearly having no strikers won't be the only reason for our points total but it will be a large contributory factor.

As to your point about all of our business not being done early, that's true. However, we sold our top scorer from last season, our other forward has had major fitness issues over the past 12 months, so it is not unreasonable for supporters to assume that a forward would be prioritised. Yet here we are, about to start a third game without a recognised striker in our starting 11. You can say what you like but no other premier league team will have started their first three matches without a forward on the pitch. It's mismanagement.