Defensive System

• Flat back four

• Back four with attacking full backs

• Three at the back with wing backs

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issues around the defence isn't simply a back 4 issue. It's about team shape and defending as a unit from front to back. Control in the middle of the park and screening the defenders is a must for a team with certain weaknesses in personnel. I sometimes think the defence is butter-like in its ability to look after the back line.

Not sure about that the Rolls Royce analogy, i would equate a Rolls Royce CB with a Godin, Ramos, Koulibaly Umtiti Varane De Ligt VVD , if we are rating Mina as a car then i'd put him as a Nissan Qashqai, very average SUV/car against a marquee companies SUV's like a Cayenne Turbo S, GLC AMG, X6 M, Lamborghini Urus, Jaguar F-pace SVR, Range Rover Sport.

I stick by my analogy to be honest, I think he will go on to be as good as some of the players you mention, not all particularly Ramos is gash.

We bomb forward under the Silva system leaving our defence exposed, when we lose the ball we are struggling...

We must have a strategy where we pick our moments to attack & cover appropriately...

Just to confirm, that you are calling Ramos a bad player?

Well he’s a professional footballer so fair play, personally I think he’s massively overatted, average defender in excellent teams in my opinion.

Frankly I think the bar for great defenders has been lowered significantly in this decade.

Last edited:
I think the issues around the defence isn't simply a back 4 issue. It's about team shape and defending as a unit from front to back. Control in the middle of the park and screening the defenders is a must for a team with certain weaknesses in personnel. I sometimes think the defence is butter-like in its ability to look after the back line.

Not really too fussed about the defence this season to be honest.

It currently consists of only one player the management wants (Digne) one whose freqently been injured and needs to adapt (Mina) and then the others just arent good enough.

I stick by my analogy to be honest, I think he will go on to be as good as some of the players you mention, not all particularly Ramos is gash.
Well he’s a professional footballer so fair play, personally I think he’s massively overatted, average defender in excellent teams in my opinion.

Frankly I think the bar for great defenders has been lowered significantly in this decade.

Hes got all of the attributes and it took Koulibaly a season at Napoli to really improve (and he had the advantage of being in Europe for a while before then). Mina has only been in Europe for 12months or so and just come off a world cup.

What we need is a defensive partner for him and of course a right back. I think we'll start seeing better performances then.

People need to chill. If we cut the set piece goals in half, which is doable if Silva just swallows his pride, we have a fine defensive record that I imagine will only improve next year.

People need to chill. If we cut the set piece goals in half, which is doable if Silva just swallows his pride, we have a fine defensive record that I imagine will only improve next year.

Not sure what the set pieces have to do with Silvas pride but hey ho...

He’s too proud to change his methods or bring in someone to fix his broken set piece system. Pretty obvious but hey ho...

Its not 'broken' though is it ?

Thats totally illogical...it would mean that other teams who setup an extremely similar marking system at set pieces would also be 'broken'.

When you see the 2 CBs (who are supposedly there to attack the ball in a zonal system) standing around doing nothing and other players just totally lacking any desire or willigness to jump for a ball then it becomes a players problem.

I think @Neiler made the point the other day that we are a small team.

When we have Zouma and Keane at centre backs (not the sharpest tools in the box) and then literally no one in the regular 11 whose adept at heading then you have a problem.

Its not 'broken' though is it ?

Thats totally illogical...it would mean that other teams who setup an extremely similar marking system at set pieces would also be 'broken'.

When you see the 2 CBs (who are supposedly there to attack the ball in a zonal system) standing around doing nothing and other players just totally lacking any desire or willigness to jump for a ball then it becomes a players problem.

I think @Neiler made the point the other day that we are a small team.

When we have Zouma and Keane at centre backs (not the sharpest tools in the box) and then literally no one in the regular 11 whose adept at heading then you have a problem.

Its very easy to blame the players and while I agree they must take their share of the blame, set piece goals are something hes had with every team in this division.

I think its a combined effort and im hopeful its being worked on, but if we lose the next few games, it will be somebody elses problem.

Considering how mediocre I think Keane is and how bad Coleman has been at RB, I don't think Silva's defensive scheme is the problem. We've gone from being the we worst team in the league at conceding goals from open play to 9th. We've gone from 15th in shots against to 4th. Frankly, if Pickford was playing better, we would've conceded even fewer.

But I agree with Zat. A new CB is a must.

I've no problem with flexibility in the system, so depending on the opposition and players in other positions it could change a little bit over the season or for particular matches. However, our system for defending set pieces needs to be sorted first

Status
Not open for further replies.