Defensive System

• Flat back four

• Back four with attacking full backs

• Three at the back with wing backs

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Set pieces really isn’t it, our Defence isn’t bad if you sort that out.

Our team are fairly small, as simple as it sounds, that is a big reason why we can’t defend set peices.
Yeah apart from that, but you will always concede some goals through error. It’s we dented the set piece conceding, results change markedly.

Bar the 2 centre backs and DCL when he plays im struggling to think of anyone over 6ft who seems like he could head a ball.

Its a very good point.

It’s a big part for me, we also get physically dominated nynteeams, West Ham, Watford for example.

Thats definitely true and part of the reason why i wanted Gana sold and Sangare signed. Adds a lot of power in the centre and is 6'3 /6'4.

Hopefully this hasnt been lost on Brands/Silva and we get some physically imposing bullies in.

People can form their own opinions on Mina but hes a big bloke and isnt afraid of a contest.

Thats definitely true and part of the reason why i wanted Gana sold and Sangare signed. Adds a lot of power in the centre and is 6'3 /6'4.

Hopefully this hasnt been lost on Brands/Silva and we get some physically imposing bullies in.

People can form their own opinions on Mina but hes a big bloke and isnt afraid of a contest.

Mina is quality mate, rough edges , but what that lad is a multitude of talents and attributes, absolute quality, it will come, convinced.

Rolls Royce.

Three at the back if we're keeping Gana.

I love his workrate and efforts to try and win the ball high up the pitch but think we need to account for the fact he'll vacate the middle of the park regularly.

Back four with attacking fullbacks.

But regardless, whatever system, the players need to understand their roles in it and the players bought need to suit the system.

Why did I think of Koeman when I wrote this, fuming now.

I prefer a back 4

Attacking fullbacks an option but all depends on the other players in the team. Coleman and Walcott run over each other constantly so a defensive RB would be better. Pienaar liked his fullback to overlap or underlap so he needed an attacking FB
Hate to burst you bubble mert, but he doesnt play for us now, nor does his other half...well not very often

1. Pick your theoretical best 11
  2. Find a system that gets the best out of them*
  3. *adjust both 11 and system as you go to get best mixture
  4. Win games
  5. Win trophy...
  6. Repeat No. 3, 4 and 5 on regular basis
  7. Sweep all before us.
  8. Sorted.

We need an adaptable defence, one that can react to different situations. For example if there's a 6,3 striker with a run on the defender with a cross coming in, rather than continuing to 'mark the zone' actually follow the man. That doesn't mean scrap zonal or the tactics but rather be more vigilante then revert back to shape. Especially with set pieces.

Back four with attacking full backs, somebody on the right wing who will occasionally deign to help his fullback out (yes, I am talking to you Walcott, you ponce) then get big lads to mark opposing big lads, munchkins mark munchkins, jobs a good un! We do not have a crap defence, we have a crap defensive system!

Mina is quality mate, rough edges , but what that lad is a multitude of talents and attributes, absolute quality, it will come, convinced.

Rolls Royce.
Not sure about that the Rolls Royce analogy, i would equate a Rolls Royce CB with a Godin, Ramos, Koulibaly Umtiti Varane De Ligt VVD , if we are rating Mina as a car then i'd put him as a Nissan Qashqai, very average SUV/car against a marquee companies SUV's like a Cayenne Turbo S, GLC AMG, X6 M, Lamborghini Urus, Jaguar F-pace SVR, Range Rover Sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.