The Crushing of Evertonian Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah as I said, there are many teams worse off than us in a general sense, literally hundreds of them.

The examples you're giving are of teams having peaks and troughs though - the individual nightmares you've mentioned are more than balanced out by the incredible highs they've had before and after - the point I was making is that we're just muddling along without either the highs or the lows. I wouldn't swap with Leeds or Sunderland, i'm just saying I can completely understand the feeling of apathy around the fanbase because we've not had anything to actually stimulate us for years. 13 seasons of finishing between 5th and 11th every year. 1 cup final in 23 years. One of the reasons people were panicking so much earlier this season (in my opinion) is because we've become so used to midtable mediocrity that losing a few on the bounce was a bit of a shock to the system, same as any decent run of form is met with hysteria that we're 'back'. We're just desperate for something to get our teeth into really.

It annoys me when I see people on here or on twitter saying the fans don't care. It's the exact opposite. We care so much, and have had so many kicks in the teeth, that you just get used to it after a while and try not to get your hopes up.

Could it be worse? Definitely. Does it get to a point where it's hard to be particularly enthusiastic? Unquestionably.

I'm at the point of your last paragraph before today already mate, if Sam dies stay then I'm just done with the club till he goes, there is no building for the future, no hope things will be better, just a club and owner settling for the annual turnover of TV and season ticket sales, milking the fans who go the gane due to the carrot of a new stadium keeping them renewing in lots of cases.

Regarding the new stadium though, we could build the biggest and most amazing stadium ever built, but if it's done by an owner who thinks any decision he makes he's fireproofed on because of that, then he's wrong on so many levels, and he has no clue about the city and the people who come from there's character.

Once it's proven that he's all talk on so many levels such as ambition for the club, which if Sam stays it's clear he's a bullshitter then for a large section of blues he will never shake off the bullshitter tag, blue bill only got a pass because of the Everton born and bred patter.

I think this year the harsh reality of being mediocre forever has hit home and has taken away the hope, and without hope you have nothing, having Fat Sam as manager has taken away the myth that some how we are different to the rest of the rubbish in the league and we will one day take back our place.

For all the bad Kenwright has done, nothing compares to appointing Big Fat Sam, this has been a silver bullet into the heart of any eternal hope I once had, and reality of our status in the games is horrible.

If he stays I can see your point.

If he is moved on at the end of the season after steering us away from trouble (with us having been on run of getting beaten heavily most weeks) to a top 8 or 9 finish, I don't see how anyone can conclude that his appointment wasn't a success for the 2017/18 season.

If he gets us 8th, I think that's the best we could have achieved based on where we were when he came in and with Burnley having an excellent season, having already beaten us before he came in, and having beaten the likes of Chelsea away.

The football has been hard to watch most of the time but he's at least got us a good return of points overall in the circumstances. Koeman and Walsh ruined our season before he even arrived.

In all honesty, EitC aside there isn’t a huge amount to like about the club atm. Horrible to support.

In all honesty, EitC aside there isn’t a huge amount to like about the club atm. Horrible to support.

I personally think the Stadium is the only thing that can change it. Regardless of how proud we are of Goodison and our past, no one outside of the club cares about any of that. We now have the image of being a former Giant, who has been unsuccessful for years and plays in an outdated stadium and are there to make up the numbers. We can't attract the top players and the media continuously patronise us, and given how little we've achieved in the last 20+ years, it's hard to make a claim that we should be respected in this era.

The move to BMD, in a 52-60K Stadium (whatever it turns out to be) will change that image of us, and at least puts us closer to the likes of City, Spurs, Arsenal etc in that regard. At the moment we're in the Villa/Leeds category with an old 40K stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.