The Crushing of Evertonian Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make a fair point about those who have it much worse than us, but it's all relative I suppose.

There's not many teams who will have gone 8 years without beating their biggest rivals, or who have to see those rivals scoring 5 goals in a CL semi-final to put one foot in their 3rd final in the last 14 years when we've only reached the final of ANY competition 3 times in 30 years, or who have only really given their fans one big away day to shout about in the last 20 years or so. We certainly don't have it as bad as fans who are fighting for the very survival of their club etc, but we've become so unbelievably average that it hurts. When you think back of how many days you've had where you've thought 'what a great day to be an Everton fan', it's really not very many at all. After a while, that really gets to you I think.

Depends really mate, look through history and it's littered with what at the time must have seemed like sky is falling moments for clubs, imagine being a united fan when one of your own legends relegated you playing for city and did so with a cheeky back heel finish. Meanwhile at the time your greatest rival in the rs are embarking on a 15 year period of European and domestic domination.

Sunderland as said a current example if a team with it bad, Leeds went from looking like spurs are currently or better to God knows what state in s period of a few years, villa similarly went from being way above spurs to almost second division in 4 years or so.

The rs went from expecting to challenge for stuff to having Roy Hodgson in charge and around the time the club could legitimately have went under due to the owners.

In short, yeah it's grim watching atm, but like most things it's either overly optimistic - we have money we are gonna make the rs heads fall off etc or its the opposite we are doomed cos we have fat Sam.

The reality is we are still even with all the mess around the club, sat in 8th, have an owner who is making progress off field re the new stadium, we change our management team around this summer from elstone, Walsh, Allardyce, and we could end up bouncing back to that over optimistic period again, it's all relative.

The rs for an easy example are thinking right now they're about to return to the football elite etc, what happens if they get turned over by Roma, or get embarrassed say by Madrid, what happens if like with Suarez, a team built entirely on one player, that player leaves or breaks down, they'd drop right back down again, klopp won't be their forever, they've shown in the past they are crap besides him at choosing managers etc.

Same thing with spurs, pocch goes, the person holding a house of cards no longer there and acwage structure that's a ticking time bomb waiting for whoever came in.

For along time it has been an exercise in futility. Just treading water, really. Sloppy. Underachieving. Boring. You get kind of numb to it after a while. Oh, something might happen; a new signing; a new manager; a new owner; it gets your attention for while, it might even get your hopes up, but invariably it fizzles out, and you go back to being numb.

Maybe next season will be the one to wake us all up. This one has been a write off.

Depends really mate, look through history and it's littered with what at the time must have seemed like sky is falling moments for clubs, imagine being a united fan when one of your own legends relegated you playing for city and did so with a cheeky back heel finish. Meanwhile at the time your greatest rival in the rs are embarking on a 15 year period of European and domestic domination.

Sunderland as said a current example if a team with it bad, Leeds went from looking like spurs are currently or better to God knows what state in s period of a few years, villa similarly went from being way above spurs to almost second division in 4 years or so.

The rs went from expecting to challenge for stuff to having Roy Hodgson in charge and around the time the club could legitimately have went under due to the owners.

In short, yeah it's grim watching atm, but like most things it's either overly optimistic - we have money we are gonna make the rs heads fall off etc or its the opposite we are doomed cos we have fat Sam.

The reality is we are still even with all the mess around the club, sat in 8th, have an owner who is making progress off field re the new stadium, we change our management team around this summer from elstone, Walsh, Allardyce, and we could end up bouncing back to that over optimistic period again, it's all relative.

The rs for an easy example are thinking right now they're about to return to the football elite etc, what happens if they get turned over by Roma, or get embarrassed say by Madrid, what happens if like with Suarez, a team built entirely on one player, that player leaves or breaks down, they'd drop right back down again, klopp won't be their forever, they've shown in the past they are crap besides him at choosing managers etc.

Same thing with spurs, pocch goes, the person holding a house of cards no longer there and acwage structure that's a ticking time bomb waiting for whoever came in.
Yeah as I said, there are many teams worse off than us in a general sense, literally hundreds of them.

The examples you're giving are of teams having peaks and troughs though - the individual nightmares you've mentioned are more than balanced out by the incredible highs they've had before and after - the point I was making is that we're just muddling along without either the highs or the lows. I wouldn't swap with Leeds or Sunderland, i'm just saying I can completely understand the feeling of apathy around the fanbase because we've not had anything to actually stimulate us for years. 13 seasons of finishing between 5th and 11th every year. 1 cup final in 23 years. One of the reasons people were panicking so much earlier this season (in my opinion) is because we've become so used to midtable mediocrity that losing a few on the bounce was a bit of a shock to the system, same as any decent run of form is met with hysteria that we're 'back'. We're just desperate for something to get our teeth into really.

It annoys me when I see people on here or on twitter saying the fans don't care. It's the exact opposite. We care so much, and have had so many kicks in the teeth, that you just get used to it after a while and try not to get your hopes up.

Could it be worse? Definitely. Does it get to a point where it's hard to be particularly enthusiastic? Unquestionably.

If you thought that you're an idiot.

That we could win a trophy? No further away from it than we are now. At least back then during the Smith/Johnson era you still had supporters remembering what it was like to win trophies and we could pretend to be a big club. My generation knows we just make up the numbers now and probably won't win anything again in our lives. That's the crushing of spirit right there.

You're all mental.

The Johnson/Smith era was far worse than this.
Let’s thank our lucky stars then, keep our mouths shut and think how much better this team is.

Back then we had no money, now we have money but are still probably light years from them lot across the park

Currently we have:
A second rate board who have appointed,
A second rate DoF who oversees ,
A second rate manager who coaches,
A second rate team which achieves,
Second rate results.
All of which points to,
A second rate future.
What's not to be happy about?

Status
Not open for further replies.