The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season

8 months 11 days
Downturn after the Derby, not able to resurrect the poor form. In keeping with the disasterous dips at Hull and Watford.
You put the set piece problem down to the CB injuries. Perhaps Hull and Watford had the exact same problems with their CBs in pre season because our defence is exactly as expected when looking at Silvas Hull and Watford sides.
How can you judge a keeper with the absolute rubbish happening in front of him.

Although I didn't want Martinez or Koeman, Silva is different to both.

He has built no goodwill, has no credentials/profile, is a bore and the only trends you can take from his managerial career to date are negative around his inability to setup a defence to deal with basic set pieces, predictable playing style and complete collapse of form/lack of resillience.

The only argument for keeping him is around continuity and that is because of Koeman (better record) and Allardyce (better record). Koeman and the interim appointment of Allardyce shouldn't hamstring the club.

He was a gamble. I admired the gamble because it showed Moshiri had some longer term thinking for once rather than flavour of the month and wasn't discouraged by his collapse at Watford. But the gamble hasn't paid off and most significantly, shows no signs of ever looking remotely like it'll pay off.

There's no bigger picture here, he's just not good enough and out of his depth.

Martinez, a gamble under BK.
Koeman, employed because he got 6th and 7th at Soton.
Allardyce, as a fireman - short term appointment.

I just don’t understand why Silva was employed and the boss was so keen on him based on Silva had no track records, at all.

He has built no goodwill, has no credentials/profile, is a bore and the only trends you can take from his managerial career to date are negative around his inability to setup a defence to deal with basic set pieces, predictable playing style and complete collapse of form/lack of resillience.
The only argument for keeping him is around continuity and that is because of Koeman (better record) and Allardyce (better record). Koeman and the interim appointment of Allardyce shouldn't hamstring the club. He was a gamble. I admired the gamble because it showed Moshiri had some longer term thinking for once rather than flavour of the month and wasn't discouraged by his collapse at Watford. But the gamble hasn't paid off and most significantly, shows no signs of ever looking remotely like it'll pay off.

But you both applaud the gamble to take a young manager like Silva on and condemn him for not having any credentials/profile!

I understand the massive reservations around Silva given his experience in England so far. But he's Everton's manager now, and we have a club that is at a crossroads where its hierarchy have decided to go down the road against managerial short termism. It would be ludicrous if the owner and DoF now did a 180 and dismissed him. A club already a confused mess would be hard pressed to sell a convincing narrative to its own fans about the journey it's taking us on.

I don't really accept the period between October-November when we were doing relatively well as something that can be pointed to with any conviction that he should be retained.

He had a fairly nondescript start including a disappointing home LC exit, and the upturn in form was largely at home, against sides we shouldn't be receiving pats on the back for beating. The majority of those games were tight affairs in themselves.

Unless you have a truly horrific season and are a genuine relegation candidate, there will be some period of the season, by whatever explanation, during which you go on a "run" of some sort.

You could argue we raised our game against Arsenal, Chelsea, and the RS but still emerged with a single point only, for all our efforts. Of course it should have been two or more, most particularly due to Pickfords catastrophic error, and that's what it was, but it's alll ifs and buts. In cup ties, we have all seen inferior sides go away, raise their game, and draw or win. If they draw, they usually get walloped in the replay. I don't see much difference here.

If I got a sense that Silva had a grasp of the seriousness of the situation, and had or was getting to grips with it, I would be more inclined to support him, even with a procession of defeats. But I don't.

A few fairly routine wins amidst a growing unfolding horror show, thats about it.

I'd like to ask him why he thinks he should be retained, and based on what to date, and hear his reply.

But you applaud the gamble to take a young manager like Silva on and then condemn him for not having any credentials/profile!

I understand the massive reservations around Silva given his experience in England so far. But he's Everton's manager now, and we have a club that is at a crossroads where its hierarchy have decided to go down the road against managerial short termism. It would be ludicrous if the owner and DoF now did a 180 and dismissed him. A club already a confused mess would be hard pressed to sell a convincing narrative to its own fans about the journey it's taking us on.

But Dave if something isn’t working, it is better to let go and cut loss? Would you want Koeman and BFS to continue and be given time in your perspective?

All our best players were bought in the last window so his recruitment is good which puts him ahead of Martinez/Koeman/Allardyce.

Our attacking play and open play defence stats were very good before Pickfordgate

He at least recognises there are problems and seems to be willing to change the undroppables in the team.

Davies Kenny Keane Calvert Lewin Lookman Siggurdson have improved their game from last season (although whether the level is good enough is another question)

That’s about all I have so far but after last season I suppose you can say it’s been marginal improvement. If he finishes strongly and consolidates top half then a good window over the summer we could be ready to put in a proper go at the top 6 next season.

The only argument for keeping him is around continuity and that is because of Koeman (better record) and Allardyce (better record). Koeman and the interim appointment of Allardyce shouldn't hamstring the club.

He was a gamble. I admired the gamble because it showed Moshiri had some longer term thinking for once rather than flavour of the month and wasn't discouraged by his collapse at Watford. But the gamble hasn't paid off and most significantly, shows no signs of ever looking remotely like it'll pay off.

I think making the call before the end of the season is premature, although I accept it hasn't looked good for some time now.

Inappropriate Language
He isn`t mate, season 2 Koeman was the worst out of the lot by a country mile.

Koeman didn't even seem to want to be here and didn't appear to give a damn. At least Silva looks gutted it's not going well.

Apologies about the language...

All our best players were bought in the last window so his recruitment is good which puts him ahead of Martinez/Koeman/Allardyce.

Our attacking play and open play defence stats were very good before Pickfordgate

He at least recognises there are problems and seems to be willing to change the undroppables in the team.

Davies Kenny Keane Calvert Lewin Lookman Siggurdson have improved their game from last season (although whether the level is good enough is another question)

That’s about all I have so far but after last season I suppose you can say it’s been marginal improvement. If he finishes strongly and consolidates top half then a good window over the summer we could be ready to put in a proper go at the top 6 next season.

Absolutely no chance to go at top 6 next season. This is just unreal. We are about to finish at 12th place in May.

But Dave if something isn’t working, it is better to let go and cut loss? Would you want Koeman and BFS to continue and be given time in your perspective?
Koeman: many on here were very disgruntled with Koeman first half of his first season; my stated p.ov. was that any Everton manager gets a season plus (as long as not a complete disaster threatening our PL status). Allardyce was always short term anyway, so there's no point making any comparison with him.

I dont like to see managers go, funnily enough. I gave Moyes total support too. They have to show very bad attitude and a disrespect of us to get me to a point whereby I want them out.

You're grasping on to a trivial league position after 13 games and a single fixture.

It's bizarre.

No way have Everton performed above expectations under Marco Silva. As I said;

That's it.

Big thrill.

Before Liverpool (an odd milestone), but whatever;

HOME
Southampton - W
Rotherham - W
Huddersfield - D
West Ham - L
Fulham - W
Southampton - L
Crystal Palace - W
Brighton - W
Cardiff - W

AWAY
Wolves - D
Bournemouth - D
Arsenal - L
Leicester - W
Man Utd - L
Chelsea - D
Liverpool - L

That's alright, it's not above expectations it's a 'decent' start but still, we missed a real opportunity with the very favourable opening set of fixtures.

Since the derby - the fixtures have been more difficult. The home games of Fulhams, Brightons and Cardiffs replaced by Spurs, Wolves, Man City's...

HOME
Newcastle - D
Watford - D
Tottenham - L
Leicester - L
Lincoln - W
Bournemouth - W
Wolves - L
Man City - L

AWAY
Man City - L
Burnley - W
Brighton - L
Southampton - L
Millwall - L
Huddersfield - L

To date, I don't think the fella couldn't have done any worse. The cherry on the cake was him being dumped out of both cup competitions to weak opposition.

Just wait until the next 2 months pass - he's doomed.

Whether people want to go on about how good the squad is or not, it should be getting more than 2 pts from a possible 12 at home against Watford, Newcastle, Leicester and Wolves, that's actually disgraceful, and only for a 96th minute equaliser against Watford it would have been even more embarrassing.

8 months 11 days
Downturn after the Derby, not able to resurrect the poor form. In keeping with the disasterous dips at Hull and Watford.
You put the set piece problem down to the CB injuries. Perhaps Hull and Watford had the exact same problems with their CBs in pre season because our defence is exactly as expected when looking at Silvas Hull and Watford sides.
How can you judge a keeper with the absolute rubbish happening in front of him.
When that keeper has spent his entire career shipping goals, with different players in front of him, and with different managers and set ups, I think you have to conclude it might be him that's absolute rubbish.

But you both applaud the gamble to take a young manager like Silva on and condemn him for not having any credentials/profile!

Gamble on a young manager is good, happy about that, but going for a crap one wasnt such a good idea, besides it was obvious he wasnt a pro bucuase as soon as Everton showed interested he lost interest.
Lets take a gamble on Arteta, least he knows what winning is all about

Status
Not open for further replies.