Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 3 are in their 20's?

Gana is great in a team that doesn't like having a lot of possession and I would prefer if we moved on from that style of play, as it will see us in a relegation battle sooner or later. Schneiderlin is worth a punt at number 8 as he has the physical and technical attributes to fulfill the role fully, don't think playing at No.6 ever really suited him myself.

I dont get your last comment, any club who has fullbacks that cross the halfway line will need a midfield anchor for protection, even the most attacking sides in Europe

Gana is absolutely fine if tasked with the role he excels at.

He is superb at harrying and hassling and regaining possession. That should be his role.

MLS can be pretty physical too, as Gerrard found out, but think Baines has a bit more in his tank than Stevie did so if he does make the move hope it works out for him.

Off pitch as you say his personality would seem to suggest he’d adapt fine.

..I imagine it wouldn’t be so much of a goldfish bowl over there. An attraction, particularly for the likes of Rooney. Saying that, I was at the Open Golf last year standing next to two US ladies and they immediately recognised Rooney when he was shown on the big screen.

..I try not to have a view on transfers but I hope a Cresswell saga doesn’t involve us. I think we need a change from small framed, lightweight defenders who will increasingly struggle with the power and physicality this league offers. Good footballer but I think we need something different.

I believe we had a sniff in January and the lad was interested, not sure whether we will go back in for him or not. I think mobile fullbacks are the Silva way myself, he loves Kiko Fermina as well, but we run into the watford road block there.

my knowledge of the overseas market isn't very good now as I don't spend as much time as I used to playing football manager!

I'd suggest from players in the premier league I'd sign and positions we'd need to strengthen this is what I'd do.

In
Reserve (but competent!) Goalkeeper -
CB - Mawson
LB - Shaw or Chilwell
CM - Loftus-Cheek
Winger - Richarlson (likely if Silva becomes manager)
Striker? - If Niasse & sandro go which again is dependant on manager choice Niasse worked with Silva at Hull so might want him to stay.

Also Lookman & Dowell will hopefully be involved in the first team. Dowell struggled second half of the season but so did the rest of Forest which included changing manager.

Out -

Robles
Stekelenburg
Williams
Funes Mori
Pennington
Martina
Besic
Schneiderlin
Sandro
Bolasie (I want him to go but don't think he will)

- I think Sandro will go very early in pre season and would try to get that done before selling Niasse but Klaassen only later on depending on what happens with the transfer incomings. Klaassen wants to prove his worth plus with Sigurdsson being at the world cup he wont be back for pre season early so will give Klaassen a good pre season. Plus he's on such a long contract and good wage he wont be in a hurry to go.

Apologies if I've missed anyone out. I think with no Europa we should be able to cope with a squad of 22 rather than 26/27

I believe we had a sniff in January and the lad was interested, not sure whether we will go back in for him or not. I think mobile fullbacks are the Silva way myself, he loves Kiko Fermina as well, but we run into the watford road block there.

...the player and his wife are from this neck of the woods so I can understand he would be interested.

..read that, the two LA clubs apparently keen. I can see Baines being tempted by taking his family to live in California, he’s a cosmopolitan type of bloke. I also suspect he’s aware his body will continue to struggle with the physicality of the Premier League.

Also think the fact that Alex Turner already lives there might have something to do with it. I don't think it would bother him at all leaving the PL tbh.

...the player and his wife are from this neck of the woods so I can understand he would be interested.

I don’t think we’d go for premium English talent under Brands.

I could be wrong, but he seems to pick relatively unknown rough gems and develops them. That being the case, I expect we will have to patient with this route should it happen.

If Baines is out, I’d expect the age of the squad doesn’t appeal to Brands and particularly a Silva pressing team. We could see the older chaps exit first, adding more pace into the squad.

Commence the culling. x

Gana can provide protection and more. The point is that parking some immobile and limited player in front of the back is a waste. The idea that Morgan could be an 8 is nuts, man. He can't move. He barely plays the ball forward and he absolutely cannot carry it forwards.

Where does this silly notion exist that Gana can't play a possession based game exist? When he was stupidly misused as an 8 this season? I also don't recall Brands PSV teams being into possession based, controlling football. They were more aggressive than that.

Lozano has also been Mexico's best player over the past year. He's pretty small and not sure he has truly elite pace, but he's the complete opposite of Bolasie, who everyone here hates. His skill never lets him down and he's very consistent as a result. But when was the last time a Mexican player was outstanding in a top league? At least he doesn't dive quite as much as the rest of them.
It's funny I don't see Gana as a 6 at all, he's most dangerous to the opposition when constantly on the move, disrupting the play and regaining possession all over the pitch. A number 6 (to me anyway) will shuffle with the back 4 picking up second balls and blocking passes/runs behind our back line while also being capable of passing the ball up the field quickly to our more skillful players.

I would just like to see Morgan given an opportunity at 8 as I see him having the attributes to do the job well due to his long strides and superior technical abilities compared to Gana.

Gana is absolutely fine if tasked with the role he excels at.

He is superb at harrying and hassling and regaining possession. That should be his role.
I agree he is superb at those things, but he's terrible at passing and shooting the ball so has to be kept away from the final third or he will break down our attacks. If you play him too deep you diminish his harrying and hassling which are his best attributes.

Unless we plan on playing a deep defensive line and long balls I just don't see how he fits.

I'd rather have Baines as back-up to somebody like Tierney tbh. I think he's prime for that role and key to helping us compete on all fronts.

Can always go in January which would be the break before the MLS season anyway.

Baines cant cut it at the top end anymore...id rather we went for one star left back and a brands surprise to develop.

Who we can get and should be after:

I watched the first 5 mins of that video and he looks impressive.
2 questions for you
Given a choice of him or the Yvves lad from Lille who would in your opinion best suit our needs.
If Lille sell that fecker Fekir to the devils spawn across the park , would they be up to selling another one or possibly 2 of their starting midfield.
Do they need the money ??

Status
Not open for further replies.