Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
You lost me at "not very mobile".
47DA6D5B-AF47-4FC6-B212-F8AD93A7F7D0.jpeg

The club haven't stopped throwing him bones, mate.

He did a much more scathing article about November time.

We’ll see. Hasn’t had any worthwhile news for a while. There is definitely a tone to that article, and he is a Liverpool fan afterall. Hunter is generally more balanced.

In a technical, legal sense? Yes.

In football journalism, and particularly in context there? No.

Unfortunately, if the Guardian are to be believed, our man Silva has form for upsetting the apple cart... https://www.theguardian.com/football

Just hoping we sign the players we need and the current rumblings are just that. Last thing we need is to cement a reputation as a circus.

I think that Brands may operate in a different way, but certainly this summer the more reliable journalists are in the dark about what is happening transfer wise at the club. They did not mention Bernard, as far as I recall, and more importantly I don't think any of us have a clue about the players we still may be trying to sign.
I don't doubt their credentials as journalists, I think their status as journalists with inside information has changed.

Bascombe and Hunter had the Bernard scoop yesterday as well mate.

Joyce, Hunter, Bascombe, Maddock, King - those guys sit in a room with the manager and press officer after every press conference (if they are in attendance of course). They are the local journos for the nationals and as such are the ones who get the embargoed stuff.

Same goes for the Echo, except the Echo have their own meeting either before or after the presser (usually Kirkbride and Prentice).

We may well start using different sources, but it's probably just a case of Brands keeping everything very close to his chest. When there is news, it is still coming from those guys as well, even if they aren't the ones to break it. The club trust them.

Joyce will have a good working relationship with a few members of the Everton staff, which is where he may get tidbits of info like he has put into his article. That won't come from the club in a formal way. It doesn't mean he's been bitter, he's just giving his opinion based on information he has been given.

I know for sure this to be the case: We needed a CB and LB in very quickly after the window opened. We did neither. Now we're even struggling to get a CB and the manager is correct in saying we afce another preseason when/if we get his targets.

Brands has got shut of a lot of players and not balanced that out with purchasing key reinforcements.
come back Thursday night and hopefully not have the same discussion.

I know for sure this to be the case: We needed a CB and LB in very quickly after the window opened. We did neither. Now we're even struggling to get a CB and the manager is correct in saying we afce another preseason when/if we get his targets.

Brands has got shut of a lot of players and not balanced that out with purchasing key reinforcements.

The reality is, we were left in a situation in which we were told very early on, we didn't have huge sums to spend and needed to shift people 1st, most importantly to make space for incoming wages.

The priority was always to reduce the
Squad size and hopefully get players in to strengthen areas where we were weak. We had a new manager and backroom staff and he had to evaluate the squad while contending with an extended world cup break. It seems to me, he realised we needed a left back as priority, and additional pace, while clearly deciding that Bolasie, Mirallas, Klassen, Mori, Williams, Garbutt, Rooney, etc were expendable and/or on too much money to be kept about for the sake of it. Without wanting a repeat of last year, with huge turn over of playing staff and no stability, he has obviously had to prioritise certain areas over others. This was never going to be fixed in 2 months with a shorter than normal window and a squad full of mercinaries.

Time and patience are required while they do the job they've been tasked. Let's wait and see.

Yeah fair point.

Disagree about the tone, but there you go.

I do think he's been critical, but is it not fair to say that we all did expect some movement a bit sooner on key targets?

Look, I've actually criticised and disagreed with Joyce a fair bit in the past. He's a sound bloke (according to the people I know who have met him) and I think it's excellent we have him as a (reliable) link to the club in a very good paper, even if he is a slimy Red.

In this instance though, I don't think he's gone overboard. I do think there has to be questions asked of everyone involved for leaving things so late, when it's clear what we needed.

Hopefully, those questions can be asked safe in the knowledge we have got our targets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.