Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Pickfords ‘valuation’ there’s a reason for that.

The same reason why a team were willing to spend 90 million on Lukaku.

He’s a very good player.

You hope to keep those players in this game.

I wouldn't. I think he's a perfectly reasonable GK for us - as good as we can get. However, if some mug club wants to throw northwards of £50M at Everton for him then I'd say "adios" and get Pope or Heaton in.

That'd be good business.

Lot of OTT talk about Pickford. Is he good? Yes. defo. Is he irreplaceable? No. We can get as good in for decent money and put the surplus to work.

Dear God.
With all due respect mate , have you ever got anything positive to say about the club. I respect that a forum is about a healthy exchange of opinions, but you really take the biscuit.
Negative spend , no investment , sell to buy etc etc. Now this. You may look up one day and see a sunny sky , and even a cup; half full !

I don't think we need another striker. I like the balance of our front 3, they are all a bit different and DCL/Niasse for me are very good bench players who affect games.

That being said Batshuayai on loan would be a smart move. He's still a good age and it's a low risk transfer. I'd prefer Loftus Cheek on loan, but the signing makes sense. I think he will push Tosun and if all goes right may well be close to displacing him by the end of the season.

I sense DCL might benefit from a loan. Sometimes thats an over used move but the lad has a great attitude and needs to improve hs finishing (which if he does will lead him to be an England international for my money). He has enough in his game to be a useful player for other sides and it might be a good option. I've seen Bournemouth mentioned and that loan makes a lot of sense to me. Come next summer we can see how far DCL/Batshuyai have progressed and make a judgement call on if we keep 1, both or neither.

I am also a fan of loan moves. They are not popular but for me they are a good way for us to operate. Yes we ultimately risk positioning ourselves as helping top teams, but presently they are not our rivals and shouldn't be considered as such. I think Martinez was right when talking about turning us into a club to develop young talent, he couldn't quite manage to do it but the idea was good. Moyes also used the loan market well. It allows us to be more cautious and avoid the mistakes of last summer. Dembele/Rashford may be available for loan, who wouldn't take either of those 2!

Balance of the front 3? You mean one that’s slow but can finish, one that’s young and fast but can’t shoot, and one that scores but can’t control a football?

I don't think we need another striker. I like the balance of our front 3, they are all a bit different and DCL/Niasse for me are very good bench players who affect games.

That being said Batshuayai on loan would be a smart move. He's still a good age and it's a low risk transfer. I'd prefer Loftus Cheek on loan, but the signing makes sense. I think he will push Tosun and if all goes right may well be close to displacing him by the end of the season.

I sense DCL might benefit from a loan. Sometimes thats an over used move but the lad has a great attitude and needs to improve hs finishing (which if he does will lead him to be an England international for my money). He has enough in his game to be a useful player for other sides and it might be a good option. I've seen Bournemouth mentioned and that loan makes a lot of sense to me. Come next summer we can see how far DCL/Batshuyai have progressed and make a judgement call on if we keep 1, both or neither.

I am also a fan of loan moves. They are not popular but for me they are a good way for us to operate. Yes we ultimately risk positioning ourselves as helping top teams, but presently they are not our rivals and shouldn't be considered as such. I think Martinez was right when talking about turning us into a club to develop young talent, he couldn't quite manage to do it but the idea was good. Moyes also used the loan market well. It allows us to be more cautious and avoid the mistakes of last summer. Dembele/Rashford may be available for loan, who wouldn't take either of those 2!

Balance of the front 3? You mean one that’s slow but can finish, one that’s young and fast but can’t shoot, and one that scores but can’t control a football?

My view is that I'm really not that bothered if he stays or goes. Despite his good WC showing I dont rate his all round game. Who knows, he might need a big spotlight on him (like at the WC) to perform better than he does for us.

If it comes to it and we sell him my only concern would be to make the buyer pay through the nose. I wouldn't be fretting about his loss.

Pope from Burnley looks a great prospect and we could take him. He'd be ideal.
LOL.

Let’s play your game then Dave.

So we sold Pickford for 50mil, Burnley know exactly how much money we’ve got.

Do you not think that they’d want nearly all of it for Pope ???

Madness.

So caught on last nights banter... love it. Having punted to sell some favourites in my day to maximise the value before it started to turn I appreciate what Catcher and Dave are saying but there is a massive BUT...

1. Pickford hasn’t even touched his value ceiling. Look he might owing to a spectacular work Cup but in terms of age his best years are ahead so we could make even more.
2. Best teams have best goalies - ask Man U. If we sold him and downgrade to someone we think might pull one more good year out the hat it a massive risk and not worth it.
3. Getting an old keeper just delays the inevitable and we would have to fork out even more in a year or two as prices go up and out old keeper is done
4. Pope wouldn’t save you anything. Pie in the sky thinking
More subjectively I believe you buy the best young talent to build a team around them. No reason a goalkeeper can’t be viewed the same as a striker. I was proud when we held firm in Stones. It gave a message we are building something.
Ps occurred to me selling Stones buying Williams is the perfect analogy.. happy about that in hindsight?
If we just sell off any player because it has value we will never grow. Saying that every player has a selling price - £50m isn’t stupid money anymore and not worth entertaining. We have so many other players to build a transfer pool before we sell our Crown Jewels - let’s focus on shipping them first. Cumulatively we could make your profit or more by shipping 5 of the deadwood.

Last edited:

...by my reckoning, there’s 18 days of the summer transfer window left. Here’s this Sunday morning portion of Eggs with your breakfast;

- The Mail appears to be leading on the Richarlison to Everton story and say a £44m deal has been reached. The player will attend USM FF on Monday to undergo his medical. The Mirror suggest the price includes an extra payment as part of a ‘peace deal’ with Watford over the Marco Silva dispute, but a £35m initial fee with add-ons is widely report for the 21 year old Brazilian winger.

- The Express quote Everton target Yerry Mina: “I have a contract with Barcelona & I want to be successful there. There have been offers for me but right now I want to enjoy my holidays & then we’ll see. If they don’t want me, I’ll have to look for the best exit. But I remember to triumph with Barcelona because Barcelona are the best team in the world”.

- According to The Daily Mirror, Everton have had a £22m bid accepted for Barcelona’s 25 year old French Left Back, Lucas Digne. The ball is now in the players court to accept personal terms.

- The Liverpool Echo report Leicester City, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Fenerbahce have all registered an interest in Everton winger, Yannick Bolasie.

- The Telegraph say RB Leipzig have not given up on Everton’s Ademola Lookman and are preparing a 3rd bid for the winger.

- The Times continue to link Everton with Arsenal forward, Danny Welbeck.

- Gazzetta dello Sport say Gian Marco Ferrari has been the subject of offers from Everton and Marseilles. Sassuolo loaned the defender to Sampdoria last season because he struggled for game time and they have not taken up an option to buy.

- Turkish Football suggest Everton are interested in Celta Vigo’s 21 year old winger, Emre Mor.

So caught on last nights banter... love it. Having punted to sell some favourites in my day to maximise the value before it started to turn I appreciate what Catcher and Dave are saying but there is a massive BUT...

1. Pickford hasn’t even touched his value ceiling. Look he might owing to a spectacular work Cup but in terms of age his best years are ahead so we could make even more.
2. Best teams have best goalies - ask Man U. If we sold him and downgrade to someone we think might pull one more good year out the hat it a massive risk and not worth it.
3. Getting an old keeper just delays the inevitable and we would have to fork out even more in a year or two as prices go up and out old keeper is done
4. Pope wouldn’t save you anything. Pie in the sky thinking
More subjectively I believe you buy the best young talent to build a team around them. No reason a goalkeeper can’t be viewed the same as a striker. I was proud when we held firm in Stones. It gave a message we are building something.
Ps occurred to me selling Stones buying Williams is the perfect analogy.. happy about that in hindsight?
If we just sell off any player because it has value we will never grow. Saying that every player has a selling price - £50m isn’t stupid money anymore and not worth entertaining. We have so many other players to build a transfer pool before we sell our Crown Jewels - let’s focus on shipping them first. Cumulatively we could make your profit or more by shipping 5 of the deadwood.

While I generally agree with you I do think there is a very good chance that Pickford is at his peak market level today. DeGea faced a similar number of shots on target and conceded far fewer.

For me he had a decent WC and his value has gone up massively because of it.

We would be stupid to not consider massive fee if it came in.

For me he had a decent WC and his value has gone up massively because of it.

We would be stupid to not consider massive fee if it came in.

Thing is his level according to his age isn’t going to drop for many years. So yes I acknowledged he might have a WC value at a high but in terms of his playing levels even if it has peaked - it can be sustained for another 6 - 8 years. That’s a long time we don’t have to worry about keeper and can focus on replacing Niasse. I would entertain an Allison level few of course.
Now Gueye I would be very ok with selling and adding serious cash to the pool. Reason: Besic.

...by my reckoning, there’s 18 days of the summer transfer window left. Here’s this Sunday morning portion of Eggs with your breakfast;

- The Mail appears to be leading on the Richarlison to Everton story and say a £44m deal has been reached. The player will attend USM FF on Monday to undergo his medical. The Mirror suggest the price includes an extra payment as part of a ‘peace deal’ with Watford over the Marco Silva dispute, but a £35m initial fee with add-ons is widely report for the 21 year old Brazilian winger.

- The Express quote Everton target Yerry Mina: “I have a contract with Barcelona & I want to be successful there. There have been offers for me but right now I want to enjoy my holidays & then we’ll see. If they don’t want me, I’ll have to look for the best exit. But I remember to triumph with Barcelona because Barcelona are the best team in the world”.

- According to The Daily Mirror, Everton have had a £22m bid accepted for Barcelona’s 25 year old French Left Back, Lucas Digne. The ball is now in the players court to accept personal terms.

- The Liverpool Echo report Leicester City, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Fenerbahce have all registered an interest in Everton winger, Yannick Bolasie.

- The Telegraph say RB Leipzig have not given up on Everton’s Ademola Lookman and are preparing a 3rd bid for the winger.

- The Times continue to link Everton with Arsenal forward, Danny Welbeck.

- Gazzetta dello Sport say Gian Marco Ferrari has been the subject of offers from Everton and Marseilles. Sassuolo loaned the defender to Sampdoria last season because he struggled for game time and they have not taken up an option to buy.

- Turkish Football suggest Everton are interested in Celta Vigo’s 21 year old winger, Emre Mor.

That Danny Welbeck one makes me a sad panda. Seems so lazy.

Thing is his level according to his age isn’t going to drop for many years. So yes I acknowledged he might have a WC value at a high but in terms of his playing levels even if it has peaked - it can be sustained for another 6 - 8 years. That’s a long time we don’t have to worry about keeper and can focus on replacing Niasse. I would entertain an Allison level few of course.
Now Gueye I would be very ok with selling and adding serious cash to the pool. Reason: Besic.

Meh...I guess I don't see the hype and never really have. The boy needs to be much better for me. Let's hope it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.