Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re not mate. They have a vig around 3-4% on EVERY single bet regardless of result. My mate works for one of them.

Of course there are some bets where they actually happen to lose money, but I’d say around 95% bets are balanced for bookies to make a profit.
Have a read: https://www.gamblingsites.org/sports-betting/beginners-guide/how-bookmakers-make-money/
Worked in a bookies mate for years myself. Yes they try to make the market in their favour but There are some markets where they lose. They can't always balance the books on on every single market. They try but it doesn't always happen. But on markets that they don't have the edge they will have small liabilities. Have seen local bookies take big hits though on a local horse or something when it's the only one been backed and they can't lay it off on time

So caught on last nights banter... love it. Having punted to sell some favourites in my day to maximise the value before it started to turn I appreciate what Catcher and Dave are saying but there is a massive BUT...

1. Pickford hasn’t even touched his value ceiling. Look he might owing to a spectacular work Cup but in terms of age his best years are ahead so we could make even more.
2. Best teams have best goalies - ask Man U. If we sold him and downgrade to someone we think might pull one more good year out the hat it a massive risk and not worth it.
3. Getting an old keeper just delays the inevitable and we would have to fork out even more in a year or two as prices go up and out old keeper is done
4. Pope wouldn’t save you anything. Pie in the sky thinking
More subjectively I believe you buy the best young talent to build a team around them. No reason a goalkeeper can’t be viewed the same as a striker. I was proud when we held firm in Stones. It gave a message we are building something.
Ps occurred to me selling Stones buying Williams is the perfect analogy.. happy about that in hindsight?
If we just sell off any player because it has value we will never grow. Saying that every player has a selling price - £50m isn’t stupid money anymore and not worth entertaining. We have so many other players to build a transfer pool before we sell our Crown Jewels - let’s focus on shipping them first. Cumulatively we could make your profit or more by shipping 5 of the deadwood.
Agree with just about everything in this post

Still don't appear to be sorting out the lack of creativity

We're dropping 40m on a winger, (who I rate highly btw), that's more of an inside forward than anything

Apart from defenders the only other position we've been linked with is box to box midfielders so reckon we'll set up like:

Schneiderlin
?????? Sigurdsson

Walcott Tosun Richarlison
Who's creating the chances in that side? Cus ?????? won't be a playmaker even if we do sign a midfielder

We're dropping 40m on a winger, (who I rate highly btw), that's more of an inside forward than anything

Apart from defenders the only other position we've been linked with is box to box midfielders so reckon we'll set up like:

Schneiderlin
?????? Sigurdsson

Who's creating the chances in that side? Cus ?????? won't be a playmaker even if we do sign a midfielder
Besic for a few weeks until he gets injured.

Schneiderlin
?????? Sigurdsson

There lies the problem. There's hardly any ballers who play in the middle anymore, loads of " Hendos", but very few creative players.

The ballers cost serous serious money and want the big clubs / big money.

Dembele at Spurs fits the bill, despite his age, is a sublime player.

Status
Not open for further replies.