Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with Rooney was his wages. For the top earner at the club by a distance, you’d expect someone that would be half-considered for the top 3 in your Player of the Season discussion at the end of the season. As it turned out, that was not the case.
Correct, Sir. I give him a 6/10 for his efforts as I didn't expect much from him, but he wasn't a disaster as such on the field and his attitude was fine. But the wages, dear me. To take him in and put him as the biggest earner in the history of the club, at his age and with his decline, pathetic decision.

Might be because the CL isn't all it's hyped up to be,some of the group games work better than Valium.
Could easily say the same about the Premier League though, there are some shocking teams in the PL and i think all this 'best league in the world stuff' is a load of **** imo

I mean £37m on panic buys in Williams and Bolasie when anyone with a passing knowledge of football could have told you those were silly buys.... the mind boggles.
I actually wasn't against us signing Williams for 10m. I don't think too many people were. Nobody could have predicted him to fall off a cliff the way he did, to pick up red cards on purpose as to not have to embarrass himself on the field in the next game, etc. In the end, turned out a real nightmare. Thank God his contract is over.

I mean £37m on panic buys in Williams and Bolasie when anyone with a passing knowledge of football could have told you those were silly buys.... the mind boggles.

Throw in Walcott who had long stopped being interested, Tosun who is much too slow for our league, Klaasen who was clearly rubbish and essentially, all Walsh needed to do was send me a quick PM in advance and I could have warned him off.

He might have still got lumped with Williams and Sandro though as I thought they were good, however both were bought for less than Walcott alone, so no major damage.

I actually wasn't against us signing Williams for 10m. I don't think too many people were. Nobody could have predicted him to fall off a cliff the way he did, to pick up red cards on purpose as to not have to embarrass himself on the field in the next game, etc. In the end, turned out a real nightmare. Thank God his contract is over.

Anyone who had watched his career could have told you. I had. I was begging Liverpool to sign him in his mid 20s when he was linked.

He was always crap. He was just sheltered from being recognised it by playing at Swansea. There's a reason he stayed there - a competent DoF at Everton wouldn't have entertained the thought of him signing.

In a way I can understand Klaassen. It's a punt that could pay off. Same as I understand Tosun.

But Williams and Bolasie were known commodities. Unforgivable waste of money.

He spent tons of money and we got worse. He has saddled us with a huge wage budget which is hurting us. Most of these players don't play but we can't get rid of them. Take out the quality of the signings, and there were simply far too many players signed in too short a period. I think the balance was awful too. I think I read that the only left sided senior player he signed was Pickford.

He was a complete failure.

Isn't it a bit harsh to judge Bolasie given he suffered a major injury early on in his spell with us? He may not have blown us away without it, but it has clearly affected him.

He had scored 12 goals in 133 games for Crystal Palace. He had gone two years without scoring a goal away from home I believe.

No, it's not harsh. The evidence was right there for anyone competent to see. There was literally nothing to suggest he was worth £15m, let alone double that.

Status
Not open for further replies.