Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to know - apart from the selling and buying of players - what this extra ("proper DoF") work looks like. I see very little evidence of Brands being involved elsewhere at the club. Maybe I've missed it or I dont look for it. But where are the stories of Brands' hands on approach at the academy and impact at FF on the style of football that the first team play? He joined the board early on last season, how does that manifest itself - what's his role there?

My point: we accept an awful lot about what we're told a DoF does, but we have to take talk of this 'holistic' approach and workload in good faith as there's very little evidence of it (and I again stress I personally dont see these stories of Brands' involvement). In my experiance of Brands' first year here, I heard and saw a lot of him in the two transfer summer windows and that was pretty much that.
Or alternatively, things occur that aren’t disclosed to the wider public? Personally, I’m glad the club is more prudent with information.

I'd love to know - apart from the selling and buying of players - what this extra ("proper DoF") work looks like. I see very little evidence of Brands being involved elsewhere at the club. Maybe I've missed it or I dont look for it. But where are the stories of Brands' hands on approach at the academy and impact at FF on the style of football that the first team play? He joined the board early on last season, how does that manifest itself - what's his role there?

My point: we accept an awful lot about what we're told a DoF does, but we have to take talk of this 'holistic' approach and workload in good faith as there's very little evidence of it (and I again stress I personally dont see these stories of Brands' involvement). In my experiance of Brands' first year here, I heard and saw a lot of him in the two transfer summer windows and that was pretty much that.
Didn't he appoint a new head of academy last season? He came from West Brom I think

Didn't he appoint a new head of academy last season? He came from West Brom I think
Doint know mate. If he did it looks like delegating.

I just wonder what all the palaver is over a man who signs and sells players as opposed to the "proper" DoF who oversees all aspects of the club. I'm not saying he doesn't do it, I'm saying I dont notice any news items on this overall role.

Personally, I think the role of DoF is a huge con. The triumph of presentation over content.

DOF is a glorified head scout promoted above his station. I much prefer the manager model, though many fans do think it is outdated now.

Doint know mate. If he did it looks like delegating.

I just wonder what all the palaver is over a man who signs and sells players as opposed to the "proper" DoF who oversees all aspects of the club. I'm not saying he doesn't do it, I'm saying I dont notice any news items on this overall role.

Personally, I think the role of DoF is a huge con. The triumph of presentation over content.

...i’m an old fella, but I can understand why the role is employed so widely in the modern game. He has to delegate, he has to have good people working for him but most importantly he and the manager need to be on the same page.

He sets the playing strategy with the coach and buys the players to fit it (transfer strategy). He sets the playing and signing strategy for the Academy Director. He authorises every acquisition (has the power of veto on signing proposals and has the wherewithal to use that power) and he sanctions contract extensions.

He is accountable for all signings, it’s not a matter of ‘his’ signings or the ‘managers’ signings. Good or bad is down to him.

Walsh was useless, I have my doubts about him as a scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.