Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any player from a foreign league is a risk,Sandro had just had an outstanding season over here for Malaga and at the time just over 5m looked decent business.Might be worth mentioning that Walsh didn't sign the cheques.

Exactly mate. And won't even be close to the amount of money and wages spent on Mina so far, an investment which looks as fragile as his broken feet.

Nah, you wouldn't get anywhere near that for Lukaku currently and Coutinho was an overpriced anomaly. And Walsh took the strategic decision - with Moshiri - to keep him for the extra season which added to his price.

Rooney clearly wasn't washed up. Top scorer and now doing well in the US.

I think people are beginning to see some of the work of Walsh in a better light, and to be fair, for any Director of Football their work can take years to fully bear fruit.
I give Walsh 3/10 for his work with us, and that's generous imo.

Lukaku now would likely sell for a similar fee (80-90m), imo. Maybe we'll see this summer. But United definitely passed Rooney off as being worth about 20m in that transfer. lol Plus we got the honour of being able to pay him 150k to play for us.

Take away Rooney's penalties and he was an unmitigated disaster for us. Good hat trick against West Ham, though! No ill will towards him from me, but he should never have been allowed anywhere near Everton at that stage of his career, on that money.

I can agree that Walsh did some good things, but the big-money signings he made as still causing us to suffer, and that says it all. Lost huge money in offloading certain players, and can't find takers for many others while they bleed us dry.

I still can't get my head around the fact that prior to us signing Tosun he had just been top scorer in the Champions League group stage, yet playing for us it looked like he had his ankles zip tied together.
Might be because the CL isn't all it's hyped up to be,some of the group games work better than Valium.

Lukaku now would likely sell for a similar fee (80-90m), imo. Maybe we'll see this summer. But United definitely passed Rooney off as being worth about 20m in that transfer. lol Plus we got the honour of being able to pay him 150k to play for us.

Take away Rooney's penalties and he was an unmitigated disaster for us. Good hat trick against West Ham, though! No ill will towards him from me, but he should never have been allowed anywhere near Everton at that stage of his career, on that money.

I can agree that Walsh did some good things, but the big-money signings he made as still causing us to suffer, and that says it all. Lost huge money in offloading certain players, and can't find takers for many others while they bleed us dry.

Nah, Siggurdson and Keane, for example, were far worse that season, and now for better coaching are much improved. Rooney would have no doubt flourished too. Top scorer and best player in a team embroiled in problems is a pretty good return.

It's interesting too that Brands has hardly overhauled the youth setup, an U-21 side that won the league in the Walsh era and continues to benefit from his structures again this season.

£25m on Yannick Bolasie

I mean it doesn't really matter how many times I read it that never really gets any better.
Another minimum 18m on top of that in guaranteed wages over 5 years, n'all.

The thing with Rooney was his wages. For the top earner at the club by a distance, you’d expect someone that would be half-considered for the top 3 in your Player of the Season discussion at the end of the season. As it turned out, that was not the case.

The likes of Lewis Gibson could in time prove to be inspired signings, but no matter what way you look at it he was an abject failure. It's impossible to spin it any other way.

£25m on Yannick Bolasie

I mean it doesn't really matter how many times I read it that never really gets any better.
That was the biggy,we all knew that other than the odd fluke against our Heysel denying neighbours that he was and continues to be naff.But again,others were involved and have eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.