Match Thread Southampton v Everton Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very difficult game. Happy with a point but I think will need to play very well to achieve that. Need to avoid a poor performance / heavy defeat that could knock the confidence gained from the good performance against Leeds. With Lampard having more time with the players to get hi ideas across it will be interesting to see how they get on.

In the same bracket as Newcastle for difficulty.
A recently energised team with some good results, whilst we are just at the start of a promising turn of form.

Tough game, but will be interesting to see if we can carry on the good work and effort displayed against Leeds.
Leeds hit the cross bar twice at important times and it might have been a different.
We aint done nothing yet :)

It will be difficult for him to change the team after last week and after his comments about Iwobi I don't see him being dropped even if Gray is fit.

As others have already said if last weeks performance can be matched again we have nothing to fear there and would expect at least a point.

I hear lads saying Leeds were poor, no, we made them look poor. 6 weeks ago that Leeds match would have been a totally different game.

They couldn't settle, they couldn't get their foot on the ball because we dictated the game as others have done with us so much over the last few years. COYB.

This is a tough ask to go away to Soton and pick up points but if we keep the intensity high then they (like anyone) can be got to.
I'd personally be happy with any points from this.
It would be good to see Dele and DCL/Richy together as that has great possibilities.
Hard to drop anyone frmo last week's starting line up though. Maybe Frank will surprise us.
Soton 1 - 2 Everton

Good team these, had some boss results over the last week or so, but they won't be able to play the same way against us as they did against United/spurs away etc.

Their team isn't even that good but good manager, would take a draw like.

We only won the one away game all season?

Southampton are absolutely unpredictable. Seen them play about a dozen times this season and they've been both awful and superb, sometimes in the same game.

Keep it tight, hit them on the break, 1-2 away win.

If we show the same intensity as vs Leeds, every chance of winning. The issue is I still have zero trust that we actually will due to the appalling mentality of a lot of our players. We reacted well on Saturday in response to an atrocious performance vs Newcastle. The question is can we perform like that when we're not 'expecting a reaction' to a turgid defeat?

Tough game this, Southampton played very well recently from what I can see. Would take a draw at this stage.

Saints will hopefully be facing a different Everton this time round.
Need to get wholly stuck in from the start and back each other from there on in.
1-3

I think Ralph Hasenhüttl is an underratted manager, be a hard game this, very hard, a draw would be a very good result
His side throws some big punches at times, but his Soton have conceded 9 goals twice. Weird manager, but last time out vs Man Utd I thought they were decent so we will have hard work on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.