So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't argue with any of them but I think you left championship winning member out, another very versatile player with a few goals in him, Richardson, he also won a league medal with Arsenal, like Harper he never moaned when dropped from the team and always gave one hundred per cent in every game he played.
Good call that mate!

If you want some recent names... John Stones only made 95 appearances, Andy Johnson had 74, and Jack Rodwell barely makes it under the limit here with 109.

In terms of a short term impact, as in scored memorable goals, but that was about it, Danny Cad and Dan Gosling for their respective goals against the RS spring to mind. Both winners iirc.

Couldnt believe Cad played nearly 100 games!

Surprised no-one also mentioned Nikica Jelavic. Amazing impact in the second half of the 2011/12 season. Equally amazing was how quickly his form would drop off just twelve months later; to the extent he was replaced as No. 1 striker by Anichebe!

I was surprised how few games in which Ronnie Goodlass played - 34. I also didn't know he has only one hand. Scored this lovely lob.

I was surprised how few games in which Ronnie Goodlass played - 34. I also didn't know he has only one hand. Scored this lovely lob.

...he has a withered hand, hence why he always had his shirt sleeve covering it.

I went the same school (John Hamilton in Everton) although I was a few years below him. I saw him playing for England Schoolboys U15, and I distinctly recall the headmaster presenting his England cap on the stage at assembly. Fine player with a fine pedigree.

George Wood (103).....I thought George was very good, certainly our best goalkeeper in the post West, pre Neville era.

Sadly his reputation never recovered after a goalkeeping error playing for Scotland at Wembley and his game went downhill afterwards.

John Gidman (64)....one of the star performers for Villa during the 1977 trilogy, signed for us two years later.

Apparently Giddo is the only player ever to play professionally for both Merseyside clubs and both Manchester ones, though he never played in the RS first XI.

Ken McNaught (66).......Another alumni of the Villa Trilogy and this young Scot seemed destined to fill Brian Labone’s boots and become a rock at the heart of our defence for years. But in the biggest transfer mystery since Alan Ball, Ken was sold to Villa in the summer of that year and went in to achueve great success, winning both the League Title and the European Cup.

Marco Matterazzi (25)......signed by Walter Smith when he came here in ‘98, Marco is best remembered for Zidanegate in the 2006 World Cup Final

Keith Newton (47).....joined us in the winter of 69/70 and played a part in that season’s Title winning team.

Pat Nevin (109).......sod off, Stuart Pearce :rant:.

That bugger destroyed one of our most exciting buys in the late 80s, an era when we were raiding Chelsea and taking their top talent.

Bruce Rioch (30)......a double signing, along with McMagic, when Billy Bingham belatedly rolled the dice in the autumn of ‘76. Scored in the infamous Clive Thomas semi final.

Asa (81).......Asa was on the verge of a big move to Leeds United, then a mighty force in the land, but he was diagnosed with a hole in the heart during the medical circa 1972. But there was nowt faint hearted about his play and I enjoyed watching him play in Gordon’s team.

Dave Thomas (71)......what 70s survivor does still not drool over memories of Dave thundering down the left wing and putting the ball on to Big Bob’s head ;)

George Telfer (99)......it took George eight years to amass his 99 apps. A good, loyal servant to the club and I always hooed he would have made it big.

Peter Eastoe (95)......for some reason Peter and Imre Varadi are my all time favourite Everton strike partnership (when such things still existed). And Imre would have been in this XI but for the fact I have wanted to write sommat about George Telfer this long while :dance:

COYBB

and a big thank you to @Eggs for starting this thread....I love threads where we get to reminisce about the players we have watched and loved down the Everton decades.

Some fine players in that list but I wouldn't have Gidman or Keith Newton - for some reason Keith never produced his best form for us, classy player at Blackburn and Burnley. Gidman was good attacking but not so good defensively - I remember Gary Jones running him ragged when he was still at Villa.

We sold Ken McNaught because Villa offered a lot of money and we had a much more highly rated player coming through - Mark Higgins, whose career was cut short because of injury.

Georgie Telfer was a great trier but I'd have Alan Whittle in there - handled better, he could have been a great player. Everyone mentions the goals he scored in the 1970 run-in but for me his best performances came when standing in for Alan ball in midfield.

Good to see Eastoe - very clever player.

Hartford was terrific - loads of skill, fine passer and more than a touch of snide.

Rioch left because he wanted to go back to the midlands. Much better player than Trevor Ross, who replaced him. I think we would have been even closer to the title in 77/78 if he'd stayed.

Loved Big Georgie but Nigel Martyn was better.

For me:

Nigel Martyn- Perhaps the best goalkeeper I've seen for us
Jonjoe Kenny: Because he's not Marc Hottiger.
Richard Gough- Very solid, natural leader
John Stones: Particularly Martinez's second season, very solid though did go downhill.
Nuno Valente: Precursor to Baines. Ball, Hinchcliffe & Baines played too many games to qualify.

Joe Parkinson: Fantastic central midfield player.
Olivier Dacourt: Classy central midfield player, shame he left so soon.

Kanchelskis: Brilliant, devastating winger.
Speed: Great pro, eye for a goal, possible captain.
Wayne Rooney: Probably the most naturally talented footballer of his generation. Some mesmeric performances as a teenager.

Jeffers: Controversial shout, however a great natural finisher at 17/18

In terms of a short term impact, as in scored memorable goals, but that was about it, Danny Cad and Dan Gosling for their respective goals against the RS spring to mind. Both winners iirc.

Couldnt believe Cad played nearly 100 games!

I'd have an 18 year old Jeffers over a lot of post 90's strikers under 100 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.