Should we stop spending...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StDomingosGringo

Player Valuation: £10m
After securing Naughton should we save the rest of our transfer kitty and go back in for Defour in the January window?

The noises from the player seem to be he wants the move but being in the Champions League group stages with them is important for him and shows good loyalty.

My thinking is Standard are (with all respect) likely to exit at the group stages which finish at the beginning of December. Should we attempt to broker a deal that he moves in January rather than spend on the likes of Ledley just because we can get them in now?

Theres sense in that mate, whats intresting is the likes of Villa and Spurs dont seem to be able to gazump us for players which makes things intresting. We have been working in this market for a long time with limited funds and done exceptionaly well picking up quality, with funds seemingly low at other clubs this summer we seem to be at an advantage.

Another factor i think this summer is that the tax system has changed for higher earners so the prem isnt the pot of gold it has been in previous seasons, thus making it more difficult for clubs to attract players. It doesnt really effect our model as we usually by players from clubs smaller in stature or who have poorer finance then us (Yes they do exist). But for the likes of Villa and Spurs it narrows their scope of buying the established gringos they have always liked.

A part of me wants to keep signing players as i think the market forces suit us this summer compared to our rivals, i also think people will be surprised at how much we have to spend, close to 20-25mill IMO. But as i have said many times i would have been happy with no additions as long as the club didnt sell any of the current squad. I know there is more to come from a hopfully injury free first team and players breaking through.

I would love Defour and wouldnt really be put of by their reluctence to sell, they come out everyday and release statments saying they are not selling, why? Druming up a bit of buissness IMO. Would also like Delph hes would add a bit of guile, atlethism, pace and a central goal threat to the team, i would also like him and Rodwell to develop togehter, but my concern is that we peed on Leeds cornflakes last week with the Garbutt deal and Bates isnt really known for his compassion, Leeds hold all the aces.

So to summerise, im pretty cool with the whole transfer scenario either way i already think the squad will be stronger, tomorow should be intresting with Lescott due back at the club, i will rightly kick of if he leaves. Hopefully we can finalise the Naughton deal too. Think Defour and Naghton could do for our right side what Baines and Pienaar have done for our left.

Last edited:
After securing Naughton should we save the rest of our transfer kitty and go back in for Defour in the January window?

The noises from the player seem to be he wants the move but being in the Champions League group stages with them is important for him and shows good loyalty.

My thinking is Standard are (with all respect) likely to exit at the group stages which finish at the beginning of December. Should we attempt to broker a deal that he moves in January rather than spend on the likes of Ledley just because we can get them in now?
It'sa interesting point and certainly makes sense and he is a player who i think would do well for us. However lets assume he does not join us i would rather us do some business in this window as i really do beleive with the addition of a quality central midfielder and being greedy a right winger we really can push on and challenge for the champions league places. However as stated earlier we need to keep all our current players so it sends a signal out to the current squad and indeed other teams that we are serious. If one player leaves then all of a sudden other star players may start to think are we actually that ambitions.

Just signing Naughton and then saving what money we have in the transfer kitty for a player in January that is far from being guaranteed to join us in the first place, makes no sense at all. We need players now whether they are free transfers or cost the club money. If there is money left over when the January window opens, then that is a bonus but in the meantime, Moyes needs to strengthen the numbers this summer.

Despite Defour's admission that he is happy at Standard, he also added that a move abroad would appeal to him.

"I would be ready to move abroad, but the transfer will come when all parties are happy," he said.

That really doesnt sound like somebody that isnt interested in a move. Same thing as Moutinho last year, the player makes it known hes interested in a move, we just need to bid the right amount and hes ours.

But sadly like last year we will dither and piss about and he will get peed off waiting for us.

And Neiler mate, Spurs and Villa are both owned by very rich people, if they wanted to outbid us, they could.

That was why in my original post I mentioned making an arrangement now (with club and player) thus avoiding the inflated transfer fees demanded in January. This is all pure speculation obviously and I think it's much more likely we'd go back for him next year but if Belgium always have an automatic place in the CL we could be in the same situation next year or even worse he has an absolute stormer of a tournament a la Arshavin and moves out of our reach.

We need the players now after all we have our own European campaign and by Xmas we need to be in a commanding position in the league.

Despite Defour's admission that he is happy at Standard, he also added that a move abroad would appeal to him.

"I would be ready to move abroad, but the transfer will come when all parties are happy," he said.

That really doesnt sound like somebody that isnt interested in a move. Same thing as Moutinho last year, the player makes it known hes interested in a move, we just need to bid the right amount and hes ours.

But sadly like last year we will dither and piss about and he will get peed off waiting for us.

And Neiler mate, Spurs and Villa are both owned by very rich people, if they wanted to outbid us, they could.

You've lost that loving feeling, woah that loving feeling! :plol

That just about sums up Everton in the transfer market. We dither all the time and either a player gets fed up waiting, or our targets get pipped away from us. Why dont we just keep transfer dealings quiet, get them signed and sealed and then make an announcement??

We need the players now after all we have our own European campaign and by Xmas we need to be in a commanding position in the league.

Totally agree mate.

Have a feeling, we could all be pleasantly surprised by our summer spending this year. Think Defour isn't out of our reach. Standard was satisfied with our bid, they admitted that. Can understand their reluctance to sell, but if we keep pushing the boat, i believe they might give in. Would love to have him at Everton. Agree with StDomingosGringo, if Standard have a good CL run, he could be out of our reach by January. No doubt about it, he's a massive talent and the sooner we could get him in, the better.

We really cannot aford to wait . We need a quality attacking midfielder installed as soon as possible in order for him to gel into the team so by xmas he is running full steam ahead . I personally would want to get this done and dusted . Once it has I would then go about flogging Osman and quickly .

Status
Not open for further replies.